Thread: Vista fun
View Single Post
Old 03-19-09, 07:14 PM   #16
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
70 processes?

Right now - counting all the antivirus, audio,video,joystick, kb and mouse drivers and other "background desired" processes - I have a total of 48. Those process amount to 15 - so you should be down to about 30 -35 OS related threads, then add in the extras.

I have to agree - a full, CLEAN install is the way to go. Put on necessary up to date drivers, SP1 and such. Then when your fully up to date, add all the apps you think your parents will have use for.

Also - if you want the XP way of doing things - just set Vista to run with the XP GUI.

Vista in its default configuration - especially coming "preinstalled" - is nothing but pure bloatware. That isn't so much the fault of the OS, but all the crap thats piled on top.

Honestly - I suspect the crashes your getting are from the bloat - not the OS. Think about this - XP support is going to be gone soon - want your parents on a box that can't get further fixed? The time you have spend trying to "clean" the mess on that box, you could have it clean and running by now - likely problem free.

Remember that removing alot of the bloat can cause OS issues because many "propietary" apps have tie ins with other things. Seriously - format the bugger and then go from there. Your going to have to do that anyway to roll to XP.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote