Thread: Vista fun
View Single Post
Old 03-19-09, 09:37 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I reduced the number of background tasks from 130 to some 70, that costed a lot of time in the internet for research, and I hope I have not killed anything vital. I also deleted not only the not needed and the trial-versions of software, but almost all except drivers and vista, and replaced it as far as compatibility allowed with stuff I run on my own rig. I also reduced Vista eye candy options and useless gimmicks as far as possible, and now the thing since some hours seem to run stable, at least significantly more stable than before. CPU use in idel is now 8-13%, before it was 30-38%.

The notebopok itself seem to be not the problem, as far as I can tell all components are running okay, and the thing is quite solid, and well constructed.

Well, I can find work arounds, although I hate to think of an OS needing work arounds, but I see it from the perspective of two older peole whom never had to deal with computers before, did not work in an office with such equipement, and still need 20 minutes or more to program their video recorder. Handling XP would be a challenge for them. Handling Vista is even more a challenge. I think MS doe snot know much about ergonomy, and Vista simply is esoteric.

I see it this way, in 98 or XP you could move from A to be by following a path, and whiole you do you not only reach point B, but also know how you got there, and that gives you a superior sense of orientation and a general understanding of where you are in relation to the whole, that enables you to orientate yourself and improvise if you run out of the automatic scouts. In Vista, you just get beamed from A to B, withiut giving you any clue about the path leading there, and where B is, and what your position in relation to the rest is. That leaves you much more confused and without an as-easy-coming understanding of your orientation. It is needlessly complex, and lesslonear structured that XP. And that is no advantage, but especially for newcomers without earlier experience it is a handicap.

The sister of a girlfriend of mine goives courses at "Volkshochschule", computer for seniors. she says that with XP it already was not easy for many, especially for those not having experiences with computers. She says with Vista the difficulties for these people has increased sharply.