View Single Post
Old 03-11-09, 05:23 PM   #57
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yay! Up and running

First I had to set up my 2002 computer with a keyboard, mouse and monitor, so I can continue using it for e-mail.

Then I set up the XPS, went through the setup and it's rocking right along now.

Ok, you guys said you would walk me through a custom build, so I want to see what kind of assistance I can get from you on a small glitch .

When I first set up the new Dell with me new-ish 2232BW Plus Samsung 22" WS monitor, it showed the BIOS screen and the initial WinXP screen...then went blank. I could hear the lovely music but all the monitor displayed was the Analog/Digital box, suggesting the monitor was not getting a signal...

Ok, the new Dell has two DVI out connectors on the back, and the Samsung monitor has RGB and a DVI plug. The new Dell came with an adaptor to use the RGB cable and plug into the computer's DVI socket. I also have a DVI cable, not sure where it came from, maybe the 22" Samsung. Are all DVI cables the same? I would assume.

So, here's what I tried:
Using the RGB cable and the DVI adaptor
Using the DVI cable
Moved the cable from one to the other DVI port on the Dell
Starting in SAFE mode to fiddle with the display settings; WinXP got to safe mode but popped up a message saying "Windows will adjust your settings to improve your display..." and promptly froze.

So, I switched monitors, and am using the RGB cable with the DVI adapter on my 19" 931B Samsung monitor, which is a little older than the 22", I think.

So, what do you think?