View Single Post
Old 01-31-09, 03:38 AM   #277
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

Peabody and K,
I can get pics of IJN sub interiors i think, as i have contact with former USN head of Pac Sub fleet after WWII and he was at the scuttling of the IJN subs, and has described it to me.

some data, i saw you may not be able to make the Aichi M6A1 Seiran Combo (they used or planned to use the Aichi for bombing) work but here are the known recon missions carried out by air assets carried by IJN subs ...

IJN Submarine based air recon missions

25-6 May 1942 1-9 Kiska and Amchitka, Aleutian Islands
27 May 1942 I-19 Bogosolof, Aleutian Islands
27 may 1942 I-25 Kodiak, Alaska
27 May 1942 I-21 Sydney, Australia
30 May-1 June 1942 I-10 Diego Suarez, Madagascar
20 August 1942 I 29 Seychelles Islands, NE of Madagascar
9 September 1942 I-25 Oregon, US
29 September 1942 I-25 Oregon, US
2 October 1942 I-21 Espiritu Santu, New Hebrides
13 October 1942 I-7 Espiritu Santo, New Hebridies
19 October 1942 I-19 Noumea, New Caledonia
30 October 1942 I-9 Noumea, New Caldeonia
2 November 1942 I-8 Efate Island, New Hebrides
4 November 1942 I-31 Suva Bay, Fiji
4 November 1942 I-9 NOumea, New Caldonia
11 November, 1042 I-7 Vanikoro Island, Solomon Islands
11 November 1942 I-21 Noumea, New Caldenia
11 November 1942 I-9 Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides

and midget subs and their losses:

Midget submarines Ko kyoteki or Koryu were lost chiefly in the following five operatoins< four in which the subs were launched from parent submarines and one in the Philipines, when shore bases were used..
Pearl Harbor, Before Dawn on 7 December, 1941 Hawaiian time, five midget submaries were launched to attack Pearl Harbor. All fivee were lost including one inside the harbor.
Sydney: During the afternoon of 31 May, 1942, three midget submarines were launched to attack Sydney (Jackson) Harbor. All three were lost, two got inside the harbor and the other becasme caught in the anti torpedo net near the harbor entrance.
Diego Suarez, Madagascar During the Evening of 30 May 1942, two midget submarines were launched. Both were lost inside the harbor.
Guadalcanal: In November 1943, eight midget submaries were transported to the base on Shortland Island, off the south end of Bougainville. From there, they were carried by parent submarines and launched near enemy landing sites on Guadalcanal. By the end of December, three of the midget submarines were lost in ASW action, three were lost by accidents and two remained inactive.
Philipppine Islands: In the fall of 1944, ten midget submaries were sent to shore bases in the central and souther Philippines. All small craft were lost in combat, accidentally and by scuttling when US forces inva

I have found data on the fate of all the IJN subs and am transcribing it now. This will give you unit numbers and fates for your campaign. I will be in touch for more data and am working on getting photos now of sub interiors. I have seen some already just need to get them. Sorry to have been out of touch.

You will find detailed data on all classes of IJN subs here:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ss.htm

the US Naval Historical Center may have some useful Pics,

I-58

and the WWII data base
http://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=452

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 01-31-09 at 04:17 AM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote