View Single Post
Old 01-29-09, 09:18 PM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Vista user. Should I switch to AHCI mode or stick to IDE?

Will I get noticeable performance boost if I switch to AHCI mode?

Should I switch to AHCI mode or should I stick to IDE mode?

I'm aware that Vista users could switch to AHCI mode even after Vista installation by simply following the following procedure:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
  5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------