SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Torpedoes Jump Waves? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232573)

Delgard 07-16-17 10:28 AM

Torpedoes Jump Waves?

I just noticed this morning that a torpedo seemed to make detection, run near the surface and disappear for a second or two. I came back visual in a downward angle, reaquired, and headed to the target. It was a Mk-48.

Was it just playing with the porpoises? Just a new thing for me.

Any thoughts

shipkiller1 07-16-17 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delgard (Post 2500592)
I just noticed this morning that a torpedo seemed to make detection, run near the surface and disappear for a second or two. I came back visual in a downward angle, reaquired, and headed to the target. It was a Mk-48.

Was it just playing with the porpoises? Just a new thing for me.

Any thoughts

I notice this behavior also a long time ago. A MK-48 will not do this...

Delgard 07-16-17 12:50 PM

LA Class FLT II

shipkiller1 07-16-17 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delgard (Post 2500616)
LA Class FLT II

Can I ask? What does this mean?

Delgard 07-16-17 02:59 PM

a 688 Class (Los Angeles) that has Mk-48 torpedoes. The FLT II (2) version was a step-up from the original.

Sometimes the U.S. gives a designator to subs built in the class but had added features. Sometimes the word "Block" as in Block II is used. I am not sure the difference in the use of the two words.

The Flight II version is just the upgraded version, that's all. You really have to look at the specifications of both to see the differences. The Flight II has Mk-48 torpedoes, though. I didn't remember, but the sea state may have influenced a torpedo running close to the surface, on final approach to the target and at 15ish feet. Maybe just a deep swell.

shipkiller1 07-16-17 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delgard (Post 2500641)
a 688 Class (Los Angeles) that has Mk-48 torpedoes. The FLT II (2) version was a step-up from the original.

Sometimes the U.S. gives a designator to subs built in the class but had added features. Sometimes the word "Block" as in Block II is used. I am not sure the difference in the use of the two words.

The Flight II version is just the upgraded version, that's all. You really have to look at the specifications of both to see the differences. The Flight II has Mk-48 torpedoes, though. I didn't remember, but the sea state may have influenced a torpedo running close to the surface, on final approach to the target and at 15ish feet. Maybe just a deep swell.

There were FOUR distinct flights of 688. (Wikipedia is incorrect)

Flight 1 - 688-699 (upgraded to flight 2 specs at first DMP)
Flight 2 - 700-718
Flight 3 - 719-750 (First VLS)
Flight 4 - 751-773 (also called 688I)

I would like to know where you get the 15ft. depth for the MK-48?
This is incorrect.

I served on SSN-702, SSN-670 and SSN-723 as an FT.

Delgard 07-16-17 03:48 PM

it was a questimate based on the Mk-16.

In final run to a surface target while active. Why didn't you just say so if your experience said otherwise?

I don't doubt what I saw, but the education is good, too.

Apparently the question about what FLT II meant was...,

shipkiller1 07-16-17 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delgard (Post 2500656)
it was a questimate based on the Mk-16.

In final run to a surface target while active. Why didn't you just say so if your experience said otherwise?

I don't doubt what I saw, but the education is good, too.

Apparently the question about what FLT II meant was...,

I only agreed with you on the behavior that you reported on the original post for the MK-48. I asked the first question on the FLT II because your response (FLT II) did not have any meaning. There was no context in your answer.

The developers can only write code on what little information they are able to glean from the internet and speaking to individuals in the know. Since almost all information concerning the MK-48 is classified, I would assume they just thought to use the running characteristics of the MK-16. I do not really have an issue with the observed camera behavior since it appears not to have any negative impact on weapon performance.

There are several of us on here (either active duty or retired) that are attempting to correct fallacies and educate others but keep within the boundaries of the security classification of the subject.

Steiger 07-16-17 10:52 PM

I think maybe the "Flt II" comment was in reference to a modification that he's using. Probably using an ADCAP torpedo as part of a mod.

Shadriss 07-17-17 04:30 PM

MK48's (original and ADCAP both) MAY actually do this, but the circumstances are far from normal. There is at least one recorded instance of a 48 detecting on a helo about 50 ft above the surface and actually going near vertical to try to get to it. Have a picture of it on the wall at shop 67G at IMFPACNORWEST in Bangor.

Certainly not typical, but if it detected something it thought was a target, it COULD happen.

Julhelm 07-18-17 05:12 AM

I remember in Sub Command and DW that you could spot helicopters quite easily with the high frequency sonar. I didn't think this was physically possible, so how would that Mk48 detect the helicopter? Through passive noise?

Shadriss 07-18-17 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2501040)
I remember in Sub Command and DW that you could spot helicopters quite easily with the high frequency sonar. I didn't think this was physically possible, so how would that Mk48 detect the helicopter? Through passive noise?

It was a very specific and unusual set of circumstances, as I mentioned. Not sure why it decided that a hovering helo was the target it was looking for, but there you so.

Oh, and detecting helos that are using active dipping sonar? That's a thing. Same principles behind detecting anything else that transmits an active pulse.