SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Introducing a Blind Captain (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=227528)

BlindGuyNW 09-02-16 12:33 AM

Introducing a Blind Captain

Hi All,

I'm happy to have the opportunity to join this lovely community. I've been a fan of submarines and the navy in general, ever since reading Hunt for Red October as a kid.

I'm totally blind, so the number of sub simulations I can play is vanishingly small, though I love reading AARs. I'd also love to be introduced to any new games I might be unaware of. There is an audio-based sub simulation called Lone Wolf, which isn't quite as detailed as I might wish, but is at least well-supported.

I'm not quite sure what else I ought to say at this late hour, other than to hope for a friendly reception and that I very much look forward to delving the depths with everyone.

THEBERBSTER 09-02-16 03:56 AM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > BlindGuyNW
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE <<
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod
Highly Recommended > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature

u crank 09-02-16 04:17 AM

Welcome to SubSim BlindGuyNW. :salute:

Jimbuna 09-02-16 06:11 AM

Welcome to SubSim :salute:

Onkel Neal 09-02-16 06:13 AM

Welcome to Subsim. Do you use some kind of screen reader?

BlindGuyNW 09-02-16 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2431428)
Welcome to Subsim. Do you use some kind of screen reader?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :-) I do indeed. I'm a techie by inclination, so I have a fairly working knowledge of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aktungbby 09-02-16 09:45 AM

Welcome aboard!

BlindGuyNW!:Kaleun_Salute:

Gerald 09-02-16 09:48 AM

Welcome to SubSim BlindGuyNW

:sunny:

Commander Wallace 09-02-16 10:02 AM

Welcome to Subsim, Blindguy. I hope you enjoy your stay here. :sunny:

HW3 09-02-16 11:44 AM

Welcome Aboard!

Dowly 09-02-16 12:40 PM

Welcome aboard!

Eichhörnchen 09-02-16 01:57 PM

A warm welcome from me, buddy :)

Onkel Neal 09-02-16 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindGuyNW (Post 2431471)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :-) I do indeed. I'm a techie by inclination, so I have a fairly working knowledge of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool. Do you mind me asking, how do you navigate something like this forum? And is there a way to skip signatures? What about all the stuff like username, join date, rank, all the stuff in the user profile. For people with sight, we can easily skip past it. Does the reader have a "skip" function?

thanks
Neal

BlindGuyNW 09-02-16 04:02 PM

Screen Reader Commands

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2431587)
That's pretty cool. Do you mind me asking, how do you navigate something like this forum? And is there a way to skip signatures? What about all the stuff like username, join date, rank, all the stuff in the user profile. For people with sight, we can easily skip past it. Does the reader have a "skip" function?

Not quite. I can do things like navigate by HTML headings or between tables. The forum layout is a little cluttered, but with practice I can read pretty quickly. I disabled avatars and images, at least.

HunterICX 09-03-16 03:22 AM

Welcome Aboard!