SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Two questions regarding SH4 1.5 from a new guy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196790)

Qitbuqa 07-10-12 02:06 PM

Two questions regarding SH4 1.5 from a new guy

First of all, since it's my 1st post, hello to everyone on this board. :salute:

Now two questions that are of huge interest to me:
1) is there any chance of launching this game offline when I want to play it on laptop somewhere where I have no internet connection?
2) is there any mod that improves AI, but leaves all other aspects vanilla and isn't uber grand scale like for example TMO.

Currently I'm running TMO + RSRDC and while TMO is truly amazing, I'd like to try vanilla game with improved AI only. I take it RSRDC alters the traffic of merchant shipping so I'm planning to keep it.

Sailor Steve 07-10-12 04:51 PM

SH4 has no online requirement at all, unless you want to use multiplayer, and never has. That didn't start until SH5.

Oh, and WELCOME ABOARD!

I'm goin' down 07-10-12 09:39 PM

sailor steve is a genius.

Qitbuqa 07-10-12 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1907820)
SH4 has no online requirement at all, unless you want to use multiplayer, and never has. That didn't start until SH5.

Strange, I can't launch SH4 unless I've got internet connection active. I bought SH4 via Steam, but previously had no issues launching any of the Steam games in offline mode. So either I'm not as bright as I'd like to believe or it's internet connection related issue.

I'm goin' down 07-11-12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qitbuqa (Post 1907933)
So either I'm not as bright as I'd like to believe or it's internet connection related issue.

I am not going to tell you what I am thinking....

TorpX 07-11-12 12:23 AM

Ahoy there! :salute:

I have never gotten anything from Steam, but I can tell you the disc versions allow offline play. I have never played SH 4 online, in fact.

Quote:

I'd like to try vanilla game with improved AI only.
I wanted to try the game in it's vanilla flavor when I first started. It didn't take me long to realise that was a mistake. I understand you might like to see what it's like; just don't expect too much. :nope:

Qitbuqa 07-11-12 01:50 AM

I'm glad it is actually possible to play SH4 offline, now I actually need to find a way how to do that. My Steam client won't allow me to do that for some reason.

Qitbuqa 07-11-12 02:21 AM

OK, issue solved. If anyone is interested, apparently my laptop wasn't configured to save Steam credentials and thus I couldn't access this particular game in offline mode since there is no other launcher except application icon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm goin' down (Post 1907938)
I am not going to tell you what I am thinking....

You could have told, I wouldn't feel worse than already am now - failing from the 1st post. :O:

Sailor Steve 07-11-12 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qitbuqa (Post 1907933)
Strange, I can't launch SH4 unless I've got internet connection active. I bought SH4 via Steam, but previously had no issues launching any of the Steam games in offline mode. So either I'm not as bright as I'd like to believe or it's internet connection related issue.

That's an issue related to Steam, not SH4. I will never, ever use a download game of any kind. I did at one point try to buy the 1.5 patch from Steam, and they told me I was outside the United States and they couldn't sell to me. They may be right - I live in Utah. :dead:

merc4ulfate 07-11-12 01:26 PM

I downloaded my version from UBI and I have never had an issue. You do not need an internet connection to play Silent Hunter 4.

I heard Sailor Steve was dumb ... anyone hear that?:har:

Sailor Steve 07-11-12 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc4ulfate (Post 1908225)
I heard Sailor Steve was dumb ... anyone hear that?:har:

That's the rumor, but it's false. I may be stupid, but I'm not dumb. :D