SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Do mods cause instability? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192227)

l.husler 02-06-12 05:41 PM

Do mods cause instability?

hey, I've recently started fiddling mod wise with SHIV and have noticed that an alarming percentage of these mods cause CTD's

I've only fiddled with a few mods, yamato, Titan and the montana, thus the yamato and titan cause CTD's at certain points like clock work. please does anyone know why this happens? any fixes.

I'm not use JSGME to install the mods, i wonder if this is the issue?

peabody 02-06-12 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l.husler (Post 1834331)
hey, I've recently started fiddling mod wise with SHIV and have noticed that an alarming percentage of these mods cause CTD's

I've only fiddled with a few mods, yamato, Titan and the montana, thus the yamato and titan cause CTD's at certain points like clock work. please does anyone know why this happens? any fixes.

All those mods overwrite game files, that is why you need to use JSGME to install them and uninstall them. You install one and it changes game files then when you install a different MOD the necessary game files are changed and the game crashes. Some mods just will not work with each other.
With JSGME you can uninstall the mods and the game goes back to normal.

Sailor Steve 02-06-12 10:03 PM

WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

Quote:

Originally Posted by l.husler (Post 1834331)

As Peabody said, JSGME will not save you from CTDs, but it doesn't cause them either. What it does is let you add mods and then remove them if there is a problem.

Hinrich Schwab 02-06-12 10:32 PM

Another issue with mods is that some mods are not compatible with others as well as certain mods requiring a specific activation order to ensure maximum stability.

I have observed that most CTD issues have been from mod conflicts, too many mods or corrupted core files from over-modding.

l.husler 02-07-12 04:36 AM

ok, thanks very much.

TBear 02-07-12 07:39 AM

problem 1. Not using mod enabler and copy/paste(delete) files in game folder.

Problem 2. Mod soup. To many mods that overwrites one another. (some times this happens when mods are createt on copy paste skills)

Hope that someone will create a MYMEGAMOD as one have createt for SH5 for SH4

But in general mods are like..

Toward allied gameplay

Toward Axis gameplay

GFX

Sounds

Improvements

Right there you have 5 resons why it can go wrong lol...

l.husler 02-07-12 07:50 AM

well, i reinstalled SHIV a fresh and then installed JSGME into the correct place, reinserted mods into mod folder and still i get CTD's with the cleveland mod (one that changes the american campaign into a surface campaign) thus far i'm still of the mind that SHIV has a weak stomache for mods....

i only enabled the cleveland, although the others ARE in the mod folder, but by them being in the mod folder and disabled, they don't do anything... so this can't be mod soup.

and also as a side note, disabling the cleveland and trying to enable any other of the mods in the folder results in the cleveland being removed from any playable campaigns, but it also stops any of the other mods being playable. it just sits there, you can play the cleveland in a quick mission but thats it

TBear 02-07-12 08:35 AM

what operating system you have? almost sounds like a vista problem..

Make sure you have Mod enabler set to run as admin..

Also check what game version you have. 1.5 is with uboot addon, 1.4 is without. Cant remember cleveland mod as for what version it is.

Most mods especialy surface ships are build for 1.5 and need files from the uboot addon :)

If non of the above is the isue...then im lost lmao....

l.husler 02-07-12 08:51 AM

running windows 7, on an e5800 dual core CPU @ 3.2 ghz, 4gb of ram coupled to a 4850 rig, and still CTDing. Can't for the life of me understand why its doing it.

l.husler 02-07-12 10:24 AM

i'm starting to wonder if it isn't memory related, because i've since installed TMO and things still CTD but not as often. There anyway to increase its memory allocation???

TBear 02-07-12 11:01 AM

try to run game and mod enabler in xp compatible mode

Right click on exe properties

compatibility

check: windows XP service pack 2

Run as admin

Might help...

----------------------

Could also try to install in another folder.

I normaly install all games on my C drive where i have createt a folder named games.

Hope some of this make sence :)

l.husler 02-07-12 01:31 PM

well so far i've found that the titan mod to not work to well with jsgme, but the yamato mod works like a charm. I'm gonna keep an eye on things but will post back here if things don't work again. Thanks for all your help :)

l.husler 02-07-12 03:50 PM

makes sense, i run most of my games from my steam Dir, as most of my games are baught from steam, and usually they run with no glitches. but modding these was having some teething trubs. as for your advice :) sound stuff usually works :)

which in this case, just it doesn't :( trying to run as admin or in compatability mode with the exe from the root dir just goes round in circles asking you for permission to make changes. so i'm stumped.

The game i was having with the yamato mod just decided it was going to crash as soon as dock.... i'm guessing i sunk too much as it only does this when i've sunk alot.