SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Flickering grills on Super Turms IX (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=189431)

frau kaleun 11-07-11 11:07 PM

Flickering grills on Super Turms IX

Hi all,

Seems like I remember someone mentioning a "flickering" effect where the grills are on the new type IX tower included in Aces' Super Turms mod(s).

I've searched around and now I can't find the reference to it I think I remember, does anybody else remember it or know if there was ever any fix for it? I've got Super Turms v6 which appears to be the latest version and I hadn't looked at the IX before with this mod, and now I'm seeing the flickering where the grills are as well.

In fact when I zoom in a bit it looks almost like I can see "through" them to the moving ocean waves in the background on the opposite side of the boat and that's what is causing the flickering.

Anyhoo - if anybody remembers this issue and/or how it was being addressed or could be addressed, I'd much appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Gerald 11-08-11 12:46 AM

Nothing that has happened to me, unfortunately I can not help you :hmmm:

HW3 11-08-11 02:00 AM

I seem to remember reading that also. I do not remember where it was though.:hmmm:

SquareSteelBar 11-08-11 02:34 AM

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...hlight=flicker

frau kaleun 11-08-11 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar (Post 1783006)

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! I didn't realize it went all the way back to such an early version of the mod.

From Aces' reply on the issue:

Quote:

Regarding the engine grills flickering I only get it from distance and I think it's a video issue. The texture is there in the file. You can freely edit this texture if you wish eg. move the grills apart, if so remember to re-do the Alpha channel. The texture is called "Turm9c1_Extra_Textures_Style1.tga" and if you edit it then remember to re-import it into all four of the supplied turm files for the different versions. Actually there is a gap b etween the textures.
I tinkered with the texture a bit already, but I still get the flicker.

I don't know what "Alpha channel" means though, is that a graphics thing or a 3D model thing?

Anybody have any luck eliminating this issue by editing the file somehow or am I just stuck with it?

Volk2 11-08-11 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1783176)
Anybody have any luck eliminating this issue by editing the file somehow or am I just stuck with it?

Unfortunately no. I tried, don't remember how, maybe I don't have enough knowledge. I have the same problem with emblems and this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=21

TheDarkWraith 11-08-11 11:07 AM

You have two or more textures 'fighting' to be rendered in the same area with no blending enabled :yep:

frau kaleun 11-08-11 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith (Post 1783258)
You have two or more textures 'fighting' to be rendered in the same area with no blending enabled :yep:

And the fix for that is....?

Okay, okay, blending, but I don't know what that refers to or how to enable it in this context. :D

Gerald 11-08-11 07:52 PM

Hard to spell, your finger are affected by nicotine, yellow, they're also :smug:

Myxale 11-09-11 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1783266)
And the fix for that is....?

Okay, okay, blending, but I don't know what that refers to or how to enable it in this context. :D

Overlapping. Depending on the way they are displayed, it can happen that one texture covers up the other and the other returns the favor. All withing milliseconds.

Try a lover monitor res. I have had the same problem with KOTOR2.
I was told (along with a transparency problem i had in the game) that this is a newer GPU/driver problem and how they interpret those textures or channels. (especially the Alpha).

But honestly I know bugger all! So...don't quote me:O:

frau kaleun 11-09-11 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info.

It's not a big enough annoyance to make me roll back my drivers or mess with the resolution. I was hoping it was something that could be dealt with by modding some of the game files involved. :hmmm:

Jimbuna 11-09-11 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1783860)
Thanks for the info.

It's not a big enough annoyance to make me roll back my drivers or mess with the resolution. I was hoping it was something that could be dealt with by modding some of the game files involved. :hmmm:

I was thinking in terms of a candidate for most un....erm helpful post of the year a few #'s up :DL

Madox58 11-09-11 10:11 AM

As TDW pointed out, it's 2 textures being rendered on one spot.
The Grills are a texture with an alpha channel. It's laid right on top of the original Turm texture so you have the 2 conflicting when rendered.

I'd think making a 3D object for the Grills and applying the Grill texture to that would solve the flickering if done right.

A quick way to create the grills would be to do a boolean operation on the Turm useing the texture as a placement guide for the cut.
:03:

frau kaleun 11-09-11 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1783941)
As TDW pointed out, it's 2 textures being rendered on one spot.
The Grills are a texture with an alpha channel. It's laid right on top of the original Turm texture.

Well that I can confirm from looking at the model preview.

Quote:

I'd think making a 3D object for the Grills and applying the Grill texture to that would solve the flickering if done right.
I'm almost certain I have some idea of what you're talking about. And that frightens me. :D

Quote:

A quick way to create the grills would be to do a boolean operation on the Turm useing the texture as a placement guide for the cut.
:03:
I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH. :stare: :O:

Madox58 11-09-11 10:59 AM

:hmmm:
I just cut the Grills out about 5 minutes ago and I didn't do no stinking math.
:haha: