SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Microsoft releases new Internet Explorer 9 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181369)

Feuer Frei! 03-15-11 03:55 AM

Microsoft releases new Internet Explorer 9

It's released!

MICROSOFT has released the latest version of its Internet Explorer web browsing software free in a bid to fend off recent challenges by Firefox and Google Chrome. "IE9 has just released around the world," a booming voice told a cheering crowd at 11pm on Monday (1600 AEDT today) in the Austin City Limits Live concert hall where a launch party was being held.

Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) was available for download in 30 languages at beautyoftheweb.com.

More than 40 million copies of IE9 have already been downloaded as part of the process leading up to its official release, according to Microsoft.

The browser is included in Windows software, and the operating system remains at a core of Microsoft's software empire.

SOURCE

kiwi_2005 03-17-11 06:01 AM

Actually its not bad, I might dump FF for IE9. :yeah:

Herr-Berbunch 03-17-11 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! (Post 1619738)

MICROSOFT has released the latest version of its Internet Explorer web browsing software free in a bid to fend off recent challenges by Firefox and Google Chrome.

So glad I hadn't just paid for a browser! :hmmm:

And for all those still on XP, it's only for Vista (SP2) and Win 7. :nope:

Feuer Frei! 03-17-11 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 (Post 1621151)
Actually its not bad, I might dump FF for IE9. :yeah:

Traitor! :O:

JSLTIGER 03-17-11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch (Post 1621277)
And for all those still on XP, it's only for Vista (SP2) and Win 7. :nope:

That's because Windows XP is pretty much at End of Life. Being that it's now 2011, the OS is 10 years old. Windows Vista has been out for over four years and Windows 7 is over 18 months old.

Skybird 03-17-11 01:15 PM

Certain parts of IE9's functionality need technical features that only Vista and Win7 offer, but XP not. That's why there is no version for XP.

I like IE9, it blocks a lot of stuff, and is fast. In tests pusblished in German PC magazines, IE9 scores very well against FF and other browser, and claims to take the lead in speed and safety.

AVGWarhawk 03-17-11 05:43 PM

It is very fast. I like it thus far however my favorites are on the right side drop down. Not sure if I can get used to that. Gained some screen space also.

Sailor Steve 03-17-11 06:35 PM

Well, first I need to get a new computer...

Skybird 03-17-11 07:35 PM

I fetched up a few reports indicating that the 64 Bit version is slower than the 32 Bit version.

Ooops - if that is true.

Office 2010 is recommended by Microsoft to be used in its 32 Bit version too, even if your system and OS is 64 Bit.

Some people not having done their homework...?

Penguin 03-17-11 07:49 PM

I am glad that MS finally decided to support WebM and not only h.264 :up:

kiwi_2005 03-18-11 06:22 PM

I will say IE9 is a brillant browser. MS had got it right for me this time. :rock: Bye bye Firefox.

Gerald 03-18-11 06:30 PM

I can admit that it is better, but that it is behind Firefox, purely for safety IMO

JSLTIGER 03-18-11 07:24 PM

Can't bring myself to leave FF for one simple reason: Ad-block Plus. IE9 just doesn't have it.

kiwi_2005 03-19-11 06:01 PM

okay one annoying thing, IE 9 doesn't ask me if I want to save my login/pw so have to login to sites everytime. Anyone using IE9 have this problem.:hmmm:

frau kaleun 03-19-11 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSLTIGER (Post 1622708)
Can't bring myself to leave FF for one simple reason: Ad-block Plus. IE9 just doesn't have it.

I've used IE's In Private Filtering function and imported Ad-block's data for what to block, there's also a way to set up IE so that the filtering is on every time you start the browser (by default it's off unless you manually turn it on every time or use the tweak I found). I've had to go in and manually unblock a couple things that I actually use (Subsim's Amazon link, for one) but other than that it was no trouble at all.

I assume IE9 will have In Private Filtering as well, although I don't know if the same tweak will work to enable it on browser startup. I certainly hope there will be a way to do the same thing otherwise I'll probably hold out on switching for as long as possible.