SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Enemy merchants in Kiel canal? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169768)

Seefer 05-17-10 09:51 PM

Enemy merchants in Kiel canal?

I'm returning to Kiel base to end my patrol and am transiting the Kiel canal for a shortcut. Just ahead of some blue merchant contacts is a red enemy merchant contact icon in the canal. This can't be normal surely?

Is this one example of the retarded AI I've heard about in some other threads?

kylania 05-17-10 10:20 PM

My first patrol of the new campaign had a poor Polish steamer in Kiel canal as well. That ended as one might expect.

icecold 05-18-10 12:24 AM

Spy is sapping meh Kiel harbour!

UF582151 05-18-10 12:48 AM

yeah, saw him too. The poor guy was caught transiting the canal when the war broke out. He hid behind a bush but you were smart enough to find him lurking. The rest of the Kreigs Marine missed him completely AFAIK. :O:

robbo180265 05-18-10 03:24 AM

I've seen him too - funniest thing I once saw was a German merchant try to make it through the Channel......He didn't get too far:arrgh!:

bigboywooly 05-18-10 05:12 AM

That Polish merc has been in the canal since game release
Other idiotic traffic scripting includes Br merchants still sailing to and from Dutch harbours AFTER German occupation

The General 05-18-10 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboywooly (Post 1396102)
Other idiotic traffic scripting includes Br merchants still sailing to and from Dutch harbours AFTER German occupation

Aren't you working on something to correct said traffic scripting and who's Base is occupied by who and when Bigboy? :doh::DL

Seefer 05-18-10 09:20 AM

I saw a second enemy Merchant further up. Needless to say they aren't there anymore after a spot of Deck Gun practice :)

On s serious note it doesn't inspire me with confidence that much effort was spent on the coding for AI. What other immersion-breaking experiences are we in for regarding enemy contact situations. I like to know that there's actually genuine sea traffick out there going about their business regardless of whether they are within rendering range and not some cheap, nasty contact spawn system that makes no sense :(

Seefer 05-18-10 09:27 AM

After ending my first patrol, exiting Kiel base and making my way through the Kiel Canal to get to my patrol mission, I've also discovered that I've been transferred to Bremen without so much as a "Good day" (or should that be "Gutten tag").

A telling example of a distinct lack of attention to detail there. Why could we have not been given this information in a radio message or even when speaking to the character that you get your missions from?

IanC 05-18-10 09:31 AM

Jesus I don't know how you guys do it...

kylania 05-18-10 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1396266)
Jesus I don't know how you guys do it...

I don't let a single merchant, seen a single time, ruin the entire gaming experience for me. It's all good tonnage. :DL

mookiemookie 05-18-10 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboywooly (Post 1396102)

Or the German Cimarron tanker sailing west across the mid-Atlantic in 1940.

IanC 05-18-10 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylania (Post 1396300)
I don't let a single merchant, seen a single time, ruin the entire gaming experience for me. It's all good tonnage. :DL

Yeah but kylania, if it was only that! But I digress, I'm happy you can look past these things. :yep:

Faamecanic 05-18-10 11:13 AM

I cant believe THIS..... I got refueled by a US NUCLEAR CARRIER TENDER in BREMERHAVEN Harbor!!!! THIS AI IS HORRIBLE, and unrealistic ship types for the time period. LOL :D :har:

robbo180265 05-18-10 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faamecanic (Post 1396344)
I cant believe THIS..... I got refueled by a US NUCLEAR CARRIER TENDER in BREMERHAVEN Harbor!!!! THIS AI IS HORRIBLE, and unrealistic ship types for the time period. LOL :D :har:

LMAO! :har: