SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Danny Glover... what a tool ! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160269)

SteamWake 01-15-10 11:22 AM

Danny Glover... what a tool !

Unbelievable

Quote:

Actor Danny Glover believes that the Haitian earthquake was caused by climate change and global warming

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegr...act_with_gaia/

Snestorm 01-15-10 11:39 AM

Another idiot.
The world is full of them.

NeonSamurai 01-15-10 11:48 AM

Well I certainly agree that his opinion is uninformed (at least from a scientific perspective), that site could be a little less vitriolic in its commentary, i would hardly call his opinion "obscene".

SteamWake 01-15-10 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonSamurai (Post 1237100)
Well I certainly agree that his opinion is uninformed (at least from a scientific perspective), that site could be a little less vitriolic in its commentary, i would hardly call his opinion "obscene".

Yea its the DT almost expected of them. Honestly I just watched the video.

OneToughHerring 01-15-10 12:12 PM

I think the earthquake was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates but it may have been made stronger and the damage greater by other factors.

August 01-15-10 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneToughHerring (Post 1237124)
I think the earthquake was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates but it may have been made stronger and the damage greater by other factors.

:har::haha::rotfl2:

OneToughHerring 01-15-10 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1237133)
:har::haha::rotfl2:

Here's a bunch of smileys, all for you.

:arrgh!:
:doh::o:|\\
:shucks::yeah::03:
:O::timeout::haha::know:
:):DL:D:cry::wah::woot:

Weiss Pinguin 01-15-10 12:30 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but is it even possible for the climate to affect the movement of tectonic plates?

Jimbuna 01-15-10 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiss Pinguin (Post 1237141)
Pardon my ignorance, but is it even possible for the climate to affect the movement of tectonic plates?

Didn't even know what they were until I Googled the term :o

OneToughHerring 01-15-10 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiss Pinguin (Post 1237141)

Well I don't think directly but things like soil erosion, human cultivation and processing of the land may have an effect on the destructiveness of an earthquake. Also things like poverty naturally have an effect on the amount of victims. So like I said, there are factors, not sure what Glover means exactly though.

SteamWake 01-15-10 02:13 PM

The petty influince wind, rain, mans footsteps have on earth is nothing as opposed to the inconcevable forces taking place beneath our feet literally moving mountains.

AVGWarhawk 01-15-10 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1237214)
The petty influince wind, rain, mans footsteps have on earth is nothing as opposed to the inconcevable forces taking place beneath our feet literally moving mountains.

As far as I know the outer crust floats on hot molten lava and this tend to shift and move. Sometimes one plate will slip down from the opposing plate and it generates great heat. So, your once fluvial plain experiences movement it is termed an earthquake. How does a summit a for the climate get involved.

Maybe this person should just stay with Riggs and be a lethal weapon.

Catfish 01-15-10 02:33 PM

Hello,
maybe we can kill ourselves by nuclear bombs, chemical warfare or just exterminate other species which then leads to our own extinction due to the food chain, but i tell you - even with the biggest bombs we will not be able to influence plate tectonics, let alone making any influence by agricultural activities or praying to the wrong god lol.

The earth itself without this thin surface we call atmosphere (if we really srew it up and kill ourselves as a result) is perfectly able to develop its own activities without help of us ridiculous ants crawling over its surface.

We are living on a thin crust that has been moving since 3.5 billion years, swimming on a semi-liquid and very hot mantle of molten "rock" - and this crust is made of many single plates, that constantly push others around, sink others/are being sunk or pile up against each other. The movement is usually some 2 centimeters a year e.g. in the atlantic ocean floor, but at the collision areas the tension rises until the friction of the crusts cannot hold back the tensions any more - and it makes a hefty and sudden jerk - an "earthquake".

You do not really need a god for this, unless you call him Pluton like our ancestors. But believe a geologist (me), no prayer or political/ religiously/ whatever human behaviour will prevent this crust from moving.

Greetings,
Catfish

P.s: Maybe it would have been wise to build earthquake-resisting buildings, powerplants and whatnot, like they do in Japan, but you need MONEY for this, and Haiti is a poor state, thanks to its government.
To tell such phrases like the climate and our behaviour being the reason for what recently happened in Haiti or- in this Pat Robertson's bull$hit - guilt or religiously "wrong" behaviour in connection to and after this event is asking for someone using a shotgun against those self-righteous a$$holes.
Sorry, venting done.

Snestorm 01-15-10 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 1237222)
Sorry, venting done.

Save being sorry for sometime when you actualy do something wrong.
No appologies neccesary on this occasion. Good post!

Onkel Neal 01-15-10 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneToughHerring (Post 1237139)
Here's a bunch of smileys, all for you.

:arrgh!:
:doh::o:|\\
:shucks::yeah::03:
:O::timeout::haha::know:
:):DL:D:cry::wah::woot:

:03: