SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Active Sonar? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133308)

WernerSobe 03-18-08 04:18 AM

Active Sonar?

Why is there no Active Sonar on U-Boats?

Thats a bug?

elanaiba 03-18-08 04:55 AM

They didn't really have active sonars, except on the late type XXI that is.

WernerSobe 03-18-08 05:34 AM

They did have active sonar.

Only old boats with outdated hydrophones did not have it. But Balkongerät definetely had active sonar. Balkongerät was famous for being able to calculate firing solution using only active and passive sonar.

Rockin Robbins 03-18-08 05:51 AM

They DO have active sonar

Go to the sonar station and below the dial is a send button. Press it and smile.

As usual, good catch Werner. I haven't used it enough to see how to get ranges and bearings from the sonar to the TDC yet. I've been too busy trying to find the head. Now that I know what to call it I expect to make better progress learning my new boat.

elanaiba 03-18-08 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerSobe

Only old boats with outdated hydrophones did not have it. But Balkongerät definetely had active sonar. Balkongerät was famous for being able to calculate firing solution using only active and passive sonar.

Can you provide a source for that information?

Toastman 03-18-08 02:15 PM

According to my references the XXI had the Nibelung SU active sonar array on the front face of the tower , giving direction and range finding abilities .
So maybe the XVIII should have the same sensor equipment too.

Toastman out.

1480 03-18-08 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba
Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerSobe

Can you provide a source for that information?

In Another Place, Another Time, Werner Hirschmann on pages 230-231 describes the GHG passive sonar AND the S-Gerat active sonar that were mounted on at least the type 9. He says it was good for ranging up to 6 miles.

Update: I don't know a lick of German and I hope none of this is bad but:

Sondergerät: Aktives Unterwasserschall-Ortungsgerät der dt. Kriegsmarine zur Entfernungs- und Richtungsbestimmung von Unterwasserzielen

maelstormic 03-18-08 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Go to the sonar station and below the dial is a send button. Press it and smile.

As usual, good catch Werner. I haven't used it enough to see how to get ranges and bearings from the sonar to the TDC yet. I've been too busy trying to find the head. Now that I know what to call it I expect to make better progress learning my new boat.

I've tried to find the button, but I don't see anything. I only see two panels with Laustarke in the right one and a button in the left one, but I can't press it and it's not highlightable

LukeFF 03-18-08 05:44 PM

Nothing I've ever read says that Balkon Gereat had active sonar capabilities. Only the Nibelung sonar, AFAIK, had this ability.

The WosMan 03-18-08 05:49 PM

I always thought it was the Nibelung sonar that had the ability. If it was implemented correctly we could even do firing solutions without the periscope. I guess I will put that up there with things I want but will never see, just like the US having radar range finders mounted on the periscope toward the end of the war. That would be a nice perk to have if playing a late game and getting a more accurate range at a distance then with optical.

Rockin Robbins 03-18-08 07:14 PM

All right! What happened?

Am I imagining things? I could swear on the panel on the lower left corner of the sonar there was a button and a "Sende" button! I just went there to take a screenshot and it wasn't there! Am I finally losing it? Since I finally got it all together, have I forgotten where I put it? And what about Mary Lou?:doh:

elanaiba 03-18-08 07:49 PM

The Nibelung sonar was planned for XXIs and it was indeed a promising piece of machinery.

For earlier boats, only the S-gerat used on some type VIIs. Very little, if any use, IIRC from SH3 days.

The WosMan 03-18-08 08:06 PM

Quote:

Am I imagining things? I could swear on the panel on the lower left corner of the sonar there was a button and a "Sende" button! I just went there to take a screenshot and it wasn't there! Am I finally losing it? Since I finally got it all together, have I forgotten where I put it? And what about Mary Lou?:doh:

Well the blank panel where it would go is there but there is no graphic for the button or the sign that says "Sende". Maybe it glitched since it is a holdover from SHIII.

Rockin Robbins 03-18-08 08:11 PM

No!!!! It can't be that bad!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The WosMan
Quote:

Well the blank panel where it would go is there but there is no graphic for the button or the sign that says "Sende". Maybe it glitched since it is a holdover from SHIII.

I could just be going mad.:-j

maerean_m 03-19-08 06:59 AM

Quote:

The button appears only for the American subs.