SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 ATO Mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Was a KiUB -like device really used on U-boats? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210547)

ole1291 01-13-14 01:15 AM

Was a KiUB -like device really used on U-boats?

Hi all,

I have spent all morning searching posts to find out whether the AOBF dials in the KiUB were authentic or not but alas could not find any information on that particular issue.

I used to play Sh3 before and would determine firing solution using Wazzoo's manual targeting, essentially, a lot of map work which I thought was the most realistic (my prefered way of playing) to do it.
Now I've just started playing Sh4 with OM and get this new system, before putting the time to learn it I want to be sure it is a more accurate depiction of the way it was done.
Also if it is the most realistic representation, does that mean the device in SH3 to get a distance reading from the UZO/periscope didn't exist?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

ole1291 01-14-14 11:28 PM

Bump.

No answer so far, the forum seems to have low traffic maybe I should try another sub branch?

Sailor Steve 01-15-14 11:18 AM

Or maybe no one knows for sure. I know I don't.

The forum actually has quite a bit of traffic. Seventy-six people have looked at your thread so far, though none have answered so far.

Aktungbby 01-15-14 04:22 PM

Welcome aboard OLE 1291:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna 01-15-14 05:09 PM

No answer but welcome :sunny:

TorpX 01-16-14 12:23 AM

Good question, but I don't know either. :salute:

don1reed 01-16-14 06:29 PM

Howdy, ole1291, and welcome aboard.

The simple answer is, yes, they are authentic. The circular ring that surrounds the lens is nothing more than a circular sliderule.(been around since the 1600s). It was installed on the NLSR (Observation Scope). Don't know about the attack scope; but, was a feature on the NLSR.

Caveat: Some graticules were enhanced for SH3 and have carried over to other (later) versions of SH.

I believe Hitman has a couple of Adobe files kicking around in the MOD builders section of SH3 forum that has RL pictures of the NLSR scope with the sliderule attached.

EDIT: Just found a copy of the Adobe file entitled, "German Uboat Optics". Not sure of the author, but, believe it to be Hitman.

Again, Welcome.

ole1291 01-17-14 02:58 AM

Thank you all for the replys.

Glad to know it was authentic, I've already started using it and enjoy the added realism.

Hitman 01-31-14 02:51 PM

On my optics mod for SH3 you will find the PDF Don mentioned, with a long explanation about it all. Yes the slide rules were used, some attached to the scope, some for standalone use without it by the IWO.

The truth is, top commanders (Germand and US) were normally able to gather the relevant data for a firing solution (AOB, speed, range) from guesstimation by naked eye through the scope. All those wheels and plotting (Wazzo style) did was back up and confirm what the commander estimated and refine the data. The TDC did the rest :shucks: