SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Comments to SUBSIM Review (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Goodies of the week! Subsim store and Amazon (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125634)

U49 11-24-07 12:22 PM

Goodies of the week! Subsim store and Amazon

Hi Neal,

I just realized the option to support subsim by accessing amazon via the subsim store.
I tried through http://www.subsim.com/store_de.html but could not found any hint on the amazon site that they would credit subsim for the sale.

Is this normal or do I have to make something in another way?

PS: It's christmas shopping time :yep:

Onkel Neal 11-24-07 04:07 PM

A lot of people tell me the same thing, the process is transparent, so as long as you start your Amazon shopping by using the search box or any of the item links on the Subsim store pages below, the code should give Subsim the credit for the sale. You can seach for a laptop, it sends you to Amazon. Maybe you decide not to buy the laptop but you see that DAS BOOT Uncut DVD set or a nice necklace for your sweetie. As long as you started from the Subsim page and used it to get to Amazon, Subsim gets 6.5% and it costs you nothing extra. Thanks for asking, this does need to be repeated occasionally. If everyone who used the Subsim forums would take this extra step and use the Subsim search for Amazon, we wouldn't need donations or advertising at all!

http://www.subsim.com/graphics/links/store.2.gifGERMANY SUBSIM STORE

http://www.subsim.com/graphics/links/store.1.gifUnited Kingdom Subsim Store

http://www.knowzy.com/images/US_Flag-Wave.png US Subsim Store

http://www.subsim.com/store.2.jpg Amazon Canada Subsim Store

Skybird 11-25-07 03:42 AM

They give you 6.5% of the item's price? That is more than I would have estimated. I wouldn't even have expected a 1 in front of the decimal. If I were you I would make using subsim for amazon orders obligatory for forum-membership and then stop working! :D

nikimcbee 11-25-07 06:39 AM

I buy all of my amazon stuff through subsim, and I've got my dad doing the same. Anything to help a poor Raiders fan:cool: .

Onkel Neal 11-25-07 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird
They give you 6.5% of the item's price? That is more than I would have estimated. I wouldn't even have expected a 1 in front of the decimal. If I were you I would make using subsim for amazon orders obligatory for forum-membership and then stop working! :D

Ha, you have have seen it back in 2000-2002, Chips and Bit were giving me a 20% commission on game sales :D In those days, I didn't bother with advertising at all.

If Amazon only paid 1%, man, that would not even be worth setting up and maintaining the links. The thing is, a lot of people are not aware of the Subsim/Amazon affiliation. If I remind people too much, I become a nagging telemarketor :down: ; if I don't mention it enough, they never know about it.

Skybird 11-25-07 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Quote:

Ha, you have have seen it back in 2000-2002, Chips and Bit were giving me a 20% commission on game sales :D In those days, I didn't bother with advertising at all.

If Amazon only paid 1%, man, that would not even be worth setting up and maintaining the links. The thing is, a lot of people are not aware of the Subsim/Amazon affiliation. If I remind people too much, I become a nagging telemarketor :down: ; if I don't mention it enough, they never know about it.

Send an email to everybody, and mention the numbers. I really did not know that it is so much, and maybe many people know about the deal, but think it is too minor as if their participation would make any difference at all: "These Texan oil barons all are millionairs, so if I order that bundle of items for 50 dollars, what use could it have for Neal to earn 20 cents from that?" :D

U49 11-25-07 09:41 AM

Quote:

The thing is, a lot of people are not aware of the Subsim/Amazon affiliation. If I remind people too much, I become a nagging telemarketor :down: ; if I don't mention it enough, they never know about it.

:yep: That must be at least me. I only learned through one of those posts about GWX donations how this site is kept up, and what some numbers are.

Maybe you create a part in the FAQ or in the GT with the topic: "How this site is run"? :hmm: Hell, maybe it is there, but until now, it didn't came to my eye :doh:

Onkel Neal 11-26-07 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Send an email to everybody, and mention the numbers. I really did not know that it is so much, and maybe many people know about the deal, but think it is too minor as if their participation would make any difference at all: "These Texan oil barons all are millionairs, so if I order that bundle of items for 50 dollars, what use could it have for Neal to earn 20 cents from that?" :D

Yeah, but a billion US dollars doesn't buy much these days! :D

danlisa 11-27-07 06:26 AM

Quote:

The thing is, a lot of people are not aware of the Subsim/Amazon affiliation. If I remind people too much, I become a nagging telemarketor :down: ; if I don't mention it enough, they never know about it.

Shouldn't worry about that. Gotta keep Subsim going somehow.

26,264 Captains registered to Subsim @ $1 each.:hmm:

Shoot, with the current exchange rates, this really isn't too much of hardship for people.

nikimcbee 12-07-07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, but a billion US dollars doesn't buy much these days! :D

Speaking of billions... I ordered some military hardware through amazon via subsim. Did you get you cut?:|\\

nikimcbee 12-07-07 01:54 PM

Quote:

That If I remind people too much, I become a nagging telemarketor :down: ; if I don't mention it enough, they never know about it.

You need to start calling at dinner time:rotfl: .

Husky42 12-07-07 05:49 PM

I work for Amazon.com but I'm not sure I quite follow this thread, is somebody having issues or no?

STEED 12-07-07 06:00 PM

@Neal

When is the 2008 Submarine Almanac going to pop up for sale in the UK amazon store?

PS: You can send me another free copy which I would be glad of.

Onkel Neal 03-03-08 08:12 PM

Steed, ol' buddy, 2008 Sub Almanac is now right and ready at Amazon UK. Just type 2008 Submarine Almanac in the Search box and rock on, sir.

thanks! :up:
Neal

nikimcbee 12-16-08 09:44 AM

Merry Christmas Neal, enjoy your gas money for your bike.:up: