SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Is it an airplane or a bird ? No it's a person playing Superman (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246615)

mapuc 09-02-20 01:37 PM

Is it an airplane or a bird ? No it's a person playing Superman

This person must have had fun, I think

Quote:

"Tower, American 1997. We just passed a guy in a jet pack,'' the pilot said on the radio transmission.

An air-traffic controller -- noticeably taken aback by the report -- responded, "American 1997, OK, thank you for the update. Left side or right side?''

"Off the left side,'' the pilot responded, "at maybe, uh, 300 yards or so, at our altitude.''
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...geles/2421833/

Markus

vienna 09-02-20 05:36 PM

Big news here locally in LA; latest is there has been no confirming sightings other than the two pilots' reports; a local newscast interviewed a representative from a company that manufactures rocket pack (says its not one of theirs, if there is one) and he made some good points; jet packs make a hell of a lot of noise, and, yet, there have no reports of anyone hearing either the take off, the flight, or the landing of such a device; it would be highly unlikely, in a place as densely populated as LA, nobody heard or saw anything from the ground; 3,000 feet is not a very high altitude, relatively, and even aircraft flying at higher altitudes are easily heard over the din of the city; also, the time reported, about 6:35 pm, the sun had yet to set and the sky was clear; current suppositions are the craft may have been some sort of drone device; the FBI is currently joining the investigation...

<O>

Sean C 09-02-20 06:25 PM

Maybe it was this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgACwfl6FBI

Mr Quatro 09-02-20 07:50 PM

Another UFO sighting due to jet packs don't have enough fuel to go up to 3,000' and come back down safely again :yep:

vienna 09-02-20 08:06 PM

^^ That was another point made by the jet pack company representative; he stated there are no known jet pack models that can fly that high for that long; I think whatever the pilots saw, it was probably some sort of drone device; the airport area around LAX has had numerous incidents of drones flying into and through LAX with some cases of drones getting uncomfortably close to aircraft landing or taking off...

<O>

Buddahaid 09-02-20 11:58 PM

It was Ultraman, duh!

Jimbuna 09-03-20 04:00 AM

Well, whatever it was (drone most likely) it was seen by two pilots and I can't see anyone owning up because of the potential of a heavy fine I suppose.

vienna 09-03-20 05:12 AM

^^ Very true about owning up and the ramifications, although in this case, it may be more than just a heavy fine since LAX has been the target of numerous drone incursions risking aircraft safety, so the Feds, in particular, if they caught the operator(s) may be inclined to make an example of them as a possible deterrent to others...

One thought did cross my mind when I heard about the initial reports: the city of Hawthorne is directly adjacent to LAX and it is also the headquarters for Space X; could this have been some sort of a test of a new device from Elon Musk...?...

<O>

mapuc 09-03-20 11:08 AM

I think you are correct-It was a Drone.

I have however had the thought:

What if there was some mad inventor who has solved one or another fuel problem and other things
(Sorry I do not know what all the things included in a jet pack is called)

I was just picturing a mad scientist/inventor buying a jet pack and mixed with it and made it possible to fly extra miles.

Markus

Mr Quatro 10-15-20 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2693455)
^^ That was another point made by the jet pack company representative; he stated there are no known jet pack models that can fly that high for that long; I think whatever the pilots saw, it was probably some sort of drone device; the airport area around LAX has had numerous incidents of drones flying into and through LAX with some cases of drones getting uncomfortably close to aircraft landing or taking off...

<O>

This one can fly that high OMG :o

Person Flying With Jetpack Spotted Near Los Angeles International Airport, Again

October 15, 20203:18 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/15/92402...-airport-again
Quote:

On Wednesday, for the second time in six weeks, an unidentified person was seen flying using a jetpack near Los Angeles International Airport. It's unclear whether this is the same individual who was recently spotted wearing a jetpack near the same airport.

This time around, the jetpack was flying 6,000 feet in the air.

MaDef 10-15-20 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2693574)
I think you are correct-It was a Drone.

I have however had the thought:

What if there was some mad inventor who has solved one or another fuel problem and other things
(Sorry I do not know what all the things included in a jet pack is called)

I was just picturing a mad scientist/inventor buying a jet pack and mixed with it and made it possible to fly extra miles.

Markus

Anybody know the whereabouts of Dr. Emmet Lathrop Brown?:03:

August 10-15-20 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Quatro (Post 2693452)
Another UFO sighting due to jet packs don't have enough fuel to go up to 3,000' and come back down safely again :yep:

Even if he has a parachute? :o

Edit: I just figured it out I think. He doesn't take off from the ground. He deploys from a small aircraft at altitude.

Jimbuna 10-17-20 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2701011)
Even if he has a parachute? :o

Edit: I just figured it out I think. He doesn't take off from the ground. He deploys from a small aircraft at altitude.

I was wondering that myself Dave....there has to be some logical answer.

August 10-17-20 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2701238)
I was wondering that myself Dave....there has to be some logical answer.

I suppose he might also have figured out some kind of air refueling arraignment?

Jimbuna 10-17-20 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2701243)
I suppose he might also have figured out some kind of air refueling arraignment?

Not sure if you're joking or being serious there :hmmm: