SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Tanksim.com (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   T34 vs Tiger- Kursk 1943 coming soon! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301)

eddie 07-26-10 03:44 PM

Hate to say this, but Gamersgate doesn't sell T34 vs Tiger, either as a download or as a cd. They sell Steel Fury, but not T34 vs Tiger.

I have this sim installed on Win7, in the Programs(x86) section, and have no problems here. I always make sure any installer is pointing to this folder, before I use it. I always manually locate the folder (through the installer) to make sure its going into the correct folders. Works fine every time!

And ZW, make sure you have sufficient LOD's with those new models, they look great BTW!!! I sometimes wonder what level of lod's the original designers used?

ZeeWolf 07-26-10 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 1453688)
Hate to say this, but Gamersgate doesn't sell T34 vs Tiger, either as a download or as a cd. They sell Steel Fury, but not T34 vs Tiger.

I have this sim installed on Win7, in the Programs(x86) section, and have no problems here. I always make sure any installer is pointing to this folder, before I use it. I always manually locate the folder (through the installer) to make sure its going into the correct folders. Works fine every time!

And ZW, make sure you have sufficient LOD's with those new models, they look great BTW!!! I sometimes wonder what level of lod's the original designers used?

Hi eddie,
Thanks for the win7 help. And the game engine uses a maximum of 5 LODs
Which is plenty.
I have yet to complete a tank model with the LOD models and the crashed
models (destroyed models). I know this may be hard to believe but it's true.
The reason is the way I am working out the performance and accurate movement of the vehicles. Once that is complete for this years production
I will have the certainty that the adding the LOD models Crewmembers
and damaged models as well as the fake and volume shadows to the tried and true main models.:yep:
Also I have in mind for next years production a focus on biuldings and structures that are destructible and of various sizes and styles that will
be the foundation of new cities and towns too.:up:

So a lot of work is still ahead eddie,

ZW :salute:

PS: The new Tigers and Panthers are right around 30k polys.

Chucky 07-27-10 03:03 PM

Ah yes,Eddie has it.
As I remember,ZW's installer needs to be told where the T34vsTiger installation is.
I think.
It's may age,I forget stuff.:damn:

ZeeWolf 07-29-10 04:57 PM

Hi Guys,
Been working on the manual control of my new Tiger for the last 4 days, making headway. The last of the issues are concerning tank mobility.
This will have to be resolved prior to release. But the good news is all that is
being learned here will apply directly with all future Playable tanks and even
playable Guns like the Fak 88 and the Pak 43-88, etc..:up:

Vorwärts Kameraden!:woot:

ZW

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._TigerE1_9.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._TigerE1_8.jpg

Priscalan 07-30-10 12:06 AM

Hi Zee, :salute:
this is a very good news :yeah:
the RPM is not very high : 2147483648 :haha:
En avant! Вперед!:D

ZeeWolf 07-30-10 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscalan (Post 1456057)
Hi Zee, :salute:
this is a very good news :yeah:
the RPM is not very high : 2147483648 :haha:
En avant! Вперед!:D

It's actually -2147483648 :timeout:
But I have to say this is not as easy as you might think. This is a real challenge for me to break this mystery. Everything else is good to go.
How is it going with you?

Vorwärts Kamerad! :salute:

ZW

frinik 07-31-10 09:18 AM

Forum francophone TvsT

Salut Priscalan!

Quelqu´un au forum francophone de simu essaie d' avoir les dernieres nouvelles au sujet du mod Koursk de ZW.J-aimerais lui repondre mais j-en suis incapable.Mon mot de passe n'est plus reconnu et a chaque fois on me demande d' entrer un code de chiffres et lettres qui n'apparait pas sur mon ecran.Donc je suis effectivement bloque.Si tu pouvais lui donner les derniers topos( le gars s'appelle Gaet je crois) ce serait chouette!

Merci

Frinik:salute:

Priscalan 07-31-10 11:07 AM

salut Frinik :)

ce serait avec plaisir , mais où est ce forum francophone? je ne l'ai pas trouvé...:cry:

doug770 07-31-10 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1449506)
Hallo Kameraden!

Good news the new Tiger E1 is now in testing. This is the AI version,
there is still some things I am working out with the suspension. Of
course the work on this model will help with both the Playable Tiger
and the Panther, so I want to get it right. The paint job is the base
color and is not entirely complete. Once the base is complete with
weathering and dirt etc. I will create some camo skins. :up:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._TigerE1_1.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._TigerE1_2.jpg
With antenna too :DL
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._TigerE1_3.jpg

Vorwärts!

ZW

EXCELLENT!! Looks GREAT!
I always liked the tiger stripes camo.

doug770 07-31-10 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 1453362)
Doug,I think the answer is to install the game into a different directory.
I use C:\Lighthouse Interactive\T34vsTiger for example.
Don't use the Program Files (x86) directory.There is a reason why,but it escapes me.

OK, Thanks so much..
I'll do that and see if it makes the difference.

doug770 07-31-10 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1453583)
You need these douggy too! :up:

http://www.filefront.com/15181093/Msvcr_Files.zip/

Chucky is on to something but I can't remember exactly what to do.
The guys who have win7 would know though.

ZeeWolf :salute:

Got It! Thanks so much:salute:

doug770 07-31-10 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 1453688)

Sorry to correct you Eddie but they did sell it and I just checked my games folder and it's still there.
OK, I'm trying to remember how I installed my last mod?
Not sure if the installer gave me the option of where to install?
I'll check...

Thanks Eddie:up:

frinik 07-31-10 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscalan (Post 1457020)
salut Frinik :)

ce serait avec plaisir , mais où est ce forum francophone? je ne l'ai pas trouvé...:cry:

C´' est le forum simu de france magazine j' ai lu 2 de tes posts dont un du 14 fevrier 2009( 1eres impressions.A moins qu'il y ait 2 Priscalans?):hmmm::hmmm:

Frinik

ZeeWolf 08-03-10 06:28 PM

Got her working!

Good news Kameradin! :woot:

I am delighted to report that the "Adding new Playable Tanks" has been completely solved with outstanding success. My new Playable Tiger uses
the stock interior with all camera positions ,gages and animations working.
The suspension system performs much closer to reality and is a real joy to
drive and operate. All forward and reverse gears work with no engine kill.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...TigerE1_11.jpg

inside view
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...TigerE1_12.jpg

Beautiful :up:
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...TigerE1_10.jpg

Vorwärts Kameraden! :salute:

ZW

BPNZ 08-03-10 07:24 PM

Hi ZW and others,

I have been reading this topic for a long time with interest.
What you have been able to acheive in a relatively short time is truely incredible.

I'm sorry I haven't read every page of this topic but I assume you have mastered the combat physics of the game?
I am especially interested in how the game models ballistics & armor penetration.

After spending many years studying armored warfare and coming up with more realistic? weapons stats for Panzer Commander (personal use only),
I am interested in how T vs T uses the various values.
Having looked over the script files and put together a modified set of armor/penetration values for the default models, I was very interested in a simple explanation as to how the game uses them.

I don't want to divert your valuable time but is armor thickness/shell diameter ratio (T/D ratio) modelled to adjust penetration? I assumed it wasn't as I haven't seen a value for projectile calibre.

I came across this page recently and found it to be a very good summary on many of the issues involved:
http://www.spwaw.com/lholttg/penetration.htm
Obviously you can only work within what is possible coding wise.

Have you got armor/ballistic data you are satisfied with for the new models you are introducing into your Kursk campaign?
If I could be of help at all, you have only to ask.:)

I plan to contribute to your worthwhile project shortly. The only reason I haven't yet is I've been busy with a new job in a new town after being made redundant.

I have also had a long term involvement in the continuing development of European Air War, a classic 10 year old air combat game.

All the best
Brian Purcell
New Zealand

ZeeWolf 08-03-10 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPNZ (Post 1459273)
Hi ZW and others,

I have been reading this topic for a long time with interest.
What you have been able to acheive in a relatively short time is truely incredible.

I'm sorry I haven't read every page of this topic but I assume you have mastered the combat physics of the game?
I am especially interested in how the game models ballistics & armor penetration.

After spending many years studying armored warfare and coming up with more realistic? weapons stats for Panzer Commander (personal use only),
I am interested in how T vs T uses the various values.
Having looked over the script files and put together a modified set of armor/penetration values for the default models, I was very interested in a simple explanation as to how the game uses them.

I don't want to divert your valuable time but is armor thickness/shell diameter ratio (T/D ratio) modelled to adjust penetration? I assumed it wasn't as I haven't seen a value for projectile calibre.

I came across this page recently and found it to be a very good summary on many of the issues involved:
http://www.spwaw.com/lholttg/penetration.htm
Obviously you can only work within what is possible coding wise.

Have you got armor/ballistic data you are satisfied with for the new models you are introducing into your Kursk campaign?
If I could be of help at all, you have only to ask.:)

I plan to contribute to your worthwhile project shortly. The only reason I haven't yet is I've been busy with a new job in a new town after being made redundant.

I have also had a long term involvement in the continuing development of European Air War, a classic 10 year old air combat game.

All the best
Brian Purcell
New Zealand

Welcome aboard BPNZ :up:
Thanks for the compliments mate, it's be allot of work. But I love it man :DL
The T/D ratio is not used. What is though is simply distance/penetration
variables with random modifiers for a degree of failure. However there is
certainly room for improvement and refinement too. My biggest gripe is
the round is depleted at what ever it hits. So if for example: If a Tiger
AP round hits the fender of a truck the round dose not continue through
the truck and out the other side and blast through a house and finally hit
something that should actually stop it. And of course that means no ricochet neither.
Although I do want to explore these issues to their fullest possibilities
where I could at least shot through a house and kill a tank.:yep:

Thanks for your help offer Brian and stick around you will be glad you did :salute:

ZeeWolf

BPNZ 08-03-10 10:16 PM

Thanks for the quick reply ZW.

Yes, I thought it would be a simplified form.
At least by observation it does seem to calculate the actual armor thickness to be penetrated along the projectile path.
This is obviously important for curved / steeply sloped surfaces.

You might consider modifying the armor calculation routine to (if possible): actual = base/((cos(angle))^1.4)
Yep shame the shell doesn't stay alive after entering object but probably helps reduce calcs.
Can't wait for the Campaign although my comp may struggle (Opteron 175, 3 gig ram, ATI 4670, Windows XP).

Keep up the outstanding work :up:
Brian

ZeeWolf 08-03-10 11:48 PM

Thanks BPNZ I certainly will :up:

ZeeWolf

morttheslayer 08-04-10 02:49 PM

Welcome BPNZ

Hi Brian
It's good another Zeewolf project member is joining us (particularly one with such auspicious connections as the old but great EAW which I fondly remember giving many hours of willing participation to) -- I am sure you won't be disappointed. ZW does his level best to improve modify and optimise the running of this potentially great sim.
ZW has certainly raised the bar on this product and has many constraints (like the issue you raised) to incorporate and modify as best as time allows along with all the other improvements you have obvious seen in the threads. He's done a brilliant job to date and seems like this is only the start.
Word of caution your PC specs are not bad but don't be too put off if your game runs slowly. It will need some tinkering to get it running well but I'm sure you are well on top of that. I have had to turn off some of the enhancements but most I run at max. my PC has an E8500 CPU with 9800GTX+ GPU, 4Gb DDR3PC RAM and runs WinXP and I struggle sometimes during large scale actions. I bear with it as one day (?) I will upgrade and run this game much better. It seems OK on Win 7 so there is life extension in this title; another reason for me personally to underwrite this title with ZW's mods work (his support is excellent BTW).

Happy Tanking Brian Over and Out Morty :salute:

BPNZ 08-04-10 07:49 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome Morttheslayer :),

The default game plays OK on my system, but I'm sure ZW's mods will greatly increase the load.

Not wanting to divert attention at all but EAW is a different game now with many new features, including:
- A skin for each individual plane in each squadron
- More accurate Flight Models including modelling 2 speed superchargers and ram effect
- Many more online flying options automatically transmitted to each player

The latest version out soon (1.28e) will have several sets of planes selectable from ingame.

This is where we hang out:http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...n_Air_War.html
There are some new videos showing the new features on Youtube, mainly by Eman I think.

Question for ZW
I note you are making greater use of the penetration and damage modifiers; increasing the min/max range on some vehicles compared to default.
Are the modifiers that are actually chosen randomly selected between within that range?

Cheers
BPNZ