SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Quick Question On Monitors (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173915)

Sailor Steve 08-21-10 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1473654)
I don't want to push it, but: think about that resolution though; those TVs look fine with TV signal, but when you display computer graphics on them they quickly show the "big screen, low res" problem... try making a screenshot of a game at something like 1024x768 without any anti-aliasing enabled, and then zoom in to 200%. (assuming a 16" monitor, that gives a reasonable comparison, say 150% zoom for 20")

I have an old 19" CRT that works well but weighs four tons and takes up a huge amount of space. I loaded up some of the many shots I've taken, and at 200% I see what you mean. At 150% it's not so bad. I just keep remembering (and being envious of) people who've said they play using their huge big-screen TVs.

But I'll keep investigating before I make a decision - especially since I'll likely be watching all TV on it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoppro
My inc runs at 1900 by 1200 at 28inches and is much better and they are always on sale somewhere.

How much on sale? $300 is pushing my limits.

stoppro 08-21-10 06:53 PM

compusa has it for 249.00last time i looked

Sailor Steve 08-21-10 07:00 PM

:o

WOW! I'll definitely be checking that one out! Thanks!

What does everyone else think?

[edit] I do see that most of the reviews mention one dead pixel, though one of them managed to fix it and several others did not have the problem.

[edit 2] After looking around I found the higher-rated Hanns-G 28" at NewEgg for $279. I'm getting excited.

Arclight 08-21-10 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1473838)
But I'll keep investigating before I make a decision

That's all I ever would dare ask; think about want you want and what you need. Too many people just make "ooh pretty colours" decisions when it comes to electronics. ;)

The fact you're planning to use it as TV as well actually makes a very good argument for getting a TV instead of just monitor. Monitors don't have the additional functions a TV offers.

Tricky nowadays with the overlap in functionality.

Sailor Steve 08-21-10 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1473902)
The fact you're planning to use it as TV as well actually makes a very good argument for getting a TV instead of just monitor. Monitors don't have the additional functions a TV offers.

I guess I wasn't clear enough on that. It's just the opposite. I don't watch TV except for favorites, which I buy or borrow on DVD. I'm currently watching Stargate via HULU, so the monitor side is the more important part. The 32" TV really was "Ooooh, pretty!", which is why I started asking questions first.

28" isn't all that much smaller, and the Hanns-G looks like the right one for the right price, so that's my current plan. :sunny:

stoppro 08-21-10 11:28 PM

Yes I got my inc at tiger direct 2years ago when they had them in the store,the price was so good. I was suspect so i made them plug it in before I bought it. turned out all right. playing shv on it right now.I want another hanns or inc but they have to be ordered on line. I like to test them first if I can.but the hann has three year warrenty so I will prob get another this weeksince I saw the same ad you did.I never would have checked if you hadn't mentioned it.

Sailor Steve 08-21-10 11:44 PM

:rock: WOOHOO! I'm worth something after all!

I agree, the online problem is a pain, but what else can you do? None of the stores in my area have anything comparable.

I recently bought a memory upgrade for my old computer through NewEgg. One of the sticks was bad, but they were very good about getting me a new set within a few days, so I have no complaints about them or their service.

Oh, and the deed is done - I placed my order. Thanks for your help.

And thanks to everybody else! At the risk of repeating myself... :rock:

Reece 08-22-10 12:20 AM

Do consider the aspect ratio Steve!:hmmm: Mine is 16:10 and have problems with things like the wide screen mod in SH3, the images are squashed on the sides, this can be overcome with nvidia cards I believe but not with ATI cards, the widescreen mod is centered around 16:9 ratio monitors. Mine is a 24" wide monitor (Samsung 2433BW), great monitor other than the above problem.:yep:

Sailor Steve 08-22-10 12:29 AM

Too late now. :D

Considering that the ultimate goal is to play SH5, I'm not too worried. And I still have my square 19" CRT.

Jimbuna 08-22-10 05:31 AM

Pleased your sorted :sunny:

Anyone got a link to the piece of kit decided upon?

Arclight 08-22-10 05:56 AM

This one? :hmmm:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ns%20g%2028%22

Jimbuna 08-22-10 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1474188)

Cheers :up:

Nice looker and specs are pretty good....only question mark would be the basic function, not being able to wake from sleep? :hmmm:

You go for it Steve :sunny:

I doubt she'll be sleeping much in your hands :DL

Arclight 08-22-10 02:21 PM

I'd like to point out I'm not sure it's that one, hence the question mark. :D

At any rate, I hope it'll be to your liking. :yep:

Platapus 08-22-10 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1473705)
You've got me curious now because I nearly got one last week but ended up with a 5750.

Are you aware of any problems? :hmmm:

My comment was not about the specific monitor, but using credit to "afford" a more expensive monitor. That is a common trap that can be financially risky.

Jimbuna 08-22-10 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1474474)
I'd like to point out I'm not sure it's that one, hence the question mark. :D

At any rate, I hope it'll be to your liking. :yep:

Well thanks for that :damn:

:03: