SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Time compression bug! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157488)

MRAD 10-21-09 09:51 AM

Time compression bug!

Hello, I have a bug that I need some help with...

I recently started using SH4, after swithing from SH3 and going through what I thought was most of what I could get done in the game. Now upon downloading SH4 off of steam and running it at 1.3 without the U-boat expansion, the game ran without any issues and ran quite fast. I was able to run time compression at 8K with mods loaded and did so with no lagg at all, not even a single studder within the game at that compression setting. Now comes the problem, after installing the expansion and having the game up to 1.5 [through steam] I was able to run the game for about half of my third mission as a American commander in a Gar, based off of Pearl Harbor with time compression not being an issue, as with 1.3. Now, when I finished waiting for the patrol mission to "complete", I killed a few merchants and a destroyer in the area and set course for the harbor once again, as I had completed the patrol portion of the mission and got quite a few kills in. The time compression completely froze the game, I was barely able to get compression to 250X (or was it 252) without having the compression act so slow that the game basically froze, getting it to 1500X was nearly impossible and now the compression feature seems to be completely bugged. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the issue, my computer is not a problem, and as I said, I had this game running at max compression prior to version 1.5. I had the game running mod free, using high graphics setings (custom settings actually), but the graphics settings aren't an issue, I still have the game running smooth when not in compression. Either than this, it is the only slow-down I have faced in any application with this gaming rig, also never had a problem with steam.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I really want to get this running again, it worked great before 1.5.

My system is as follows:

Intel iC7 920 (2.6Ghz) OC'd @3.4Ghz and stable for several months
8GB DDR3 OCZ Platinum Ram
500GB Western Digital Caviar Black HD / Secondary as 1TB Western Digital Caviar black (game is installed on the main, the 500GB)
Windows Vista 64-bit
BFG - Nvidia GTX280 OC (software version 62.0.1c)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (bios version F6)
Integrated sound (yeah I know, but I use a Sennheiser headset, so the card is more than good enough to get great sound)

BIGD101 05-31-10 04:36 AM

I seem to have this now, anyone know what the problem is?

Chubster 05-31-10 05:17 AM

Does this happen all the time or just in your current position? Try going to normal TC and then go to sonar and have a listen around.

Could be a big convoy in the area which causes FPS to drop right down

Diopos 05-31-10 11:09 AM

something to consider: other apps running on the bachround.

gextm 06-08-11 08:15 PM

Hey all! I know this is an old thread, but I just go the expansion and am having exactly the same problem. No problems pre-expansion, definitely not my memory or any hardware issue.

Anyone figure this one out?

Thanks,
TJ

Daniel Prates 06-24-11 04:10 PM

TC demands a lot from the game, from your machine, from your ... anyway, from everything. You can't just speed up your TC to 8000x and expect that everything runs smoothly. Sometimes it will, sometimes it will not.

Things that may tamper with the smoothnes of TC, since they add a lot of new information for your machine to handle, are:

1 - being close to shore (and the closer you get, the lower TC will handle things right)

2 - Being close to action

3 - Gettin radar or sonar updates - enemy or not.

4 - Those damn planes!

What happens when you have high TC when one of the above happens? Maybe nothing. But maybe the game will crash, or bug, or things will happen in such a manner that your machine can't correctly calculate them, and when TC drops, you will be left with a weird situation in your hands.

This is because TC is supposed to imediately drop to a lower rate when those above mentioned situations occur, but you can't really expect that to work fine all of the time. If you are running TC at more than 1000x, well, then by the time TC lowers, a lot of things may have happened. Bad things. There are several accounts of people running in high TC, and then all the sudden they find out that they have ran aground.

Best thing to do is to lower your TC intentionally when in enemy-controled lanes, or when getting close to home, anyway, situatins where you might expect your machine having to deal with a lot of information.

Triggerfish 06-29-11 05:31 PM

Got SH4 (+ uboat missions download from ubisoft homepage) some weeks ago, worked fine for some time. I started a career this week but midway trough the 3rd patrol everything slowed down and froze to the point of being unplayable. And no, Im not near shore, not near any action, no airplanes. And one mission before I could do 2000-4000x no problem.
Reboot / reload save game doesnt help.

Seems like my adventure with SH4 will end here, too bad cause it was fun as long as it worked normally. Ubisoft really should have a look into this.

Sailor Steve 06-29-11 06:33 PM

Welcome aboard, both of you one-timers! :sunny:

I have no idea what the problem is. I have some lag, usually near land, but I've never let it put me off the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggerfish
Ubisoft really should have a look into this.

Ubisoft is never going to have a look into SH5, which was released last year, much less a game they finished with four years ago. We're on our own.

Triggerfish 06-30-11 06:08 AM

Hi, and thanks. I guess youre right, this game is too old to get much support. I will check out SH3 and Dangerous waters instead, then keep SH4 on the shelf for single missions which usually works fine.

Grooveclubhouse 01-23-12 11:33 AM

I have been having the same issue... (sh4 1.5)

Things were going great till about the end of my third or fourth patrol. Never had a problem with TC. Now even at very low TC (256) SH4 just freezez up. Not sure but I think it might be a particular date (I'll have to test it).

Anyways its been such a love/hate relationship with SH4.. :nope:. Personally I have never played a game THIS flawed and I really think UBI owes support on something so bugged.

Sailor Steve 01-23-12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grooveclubhouse (Post 1826341)
Anyways its been such a love/hate relationship with SH4.. :nope:. Personally I have never played a game THIS flawed and I really think UBI owes support on something so bugged.

The same is true of SH3, though it suffers the least, and even more with SH5, though modders are finding ways around those flaws.

Unfortunately UBIsoft care a whit what you or I think they owe us. There is no more support for these games, and almost certainly never will be.

Grooveclubhouse 01-23-12 11:35 PM

Can loading a Mod help?

Its just frustrating.:damn: This is my 3rd career lost to some kind of bug.

This one though is strange there is something that happens at may 23 at 17:00 hours where even if I am at no time compression it still locks up and crashes. I've Tried loading a previous save and I get the same results at almost the exact time. :hmmm:

I'd really like to save this career as I just took down 2 CV's at the battle of the Coral Sea. Rearmed the went out and sank a few tankers west of Rabaul.

I'm wondering if there are any mods I can load while at sea that might resolve the issue? (New at all this and really don't know much about all the mods) Then I can sail home and be a hero! :yeah: I'll put in a good word for you back a Pearl!!

Farside 03-08-15 06:35 PM

I hate to go dragging this up from the depths but I appear to have found a bit of an anomaly.

While operating a particularly successful patrol I noticed that my time complression would stutter every so often and become very laggy. Now, I have a powerful PC capable of running all kinds of game on Ultra and High settings so this game should be nothing.

This is were the anomaly kicks in, I had a shout from the Hydrophone operator who heard a warship at my 276deg, weather was not too bad, in the dead of night. I thought stick us under, run at 1/3rd, silent. Then the bug starts. I'm now hearing a lot of sound contacts coming from that direction.

So I F11 (I know, realistic) and scoot over there only to find somewhere in the region of 100 destroyers all sitting, not in a formation but in a blockade style, not a uniformed space between but all over the place, but not one of them is moving, I think this may be the reason for the time compression lag. The detection distance was upped to 40km or something? Could this be the bug causing the lag?

The kicker was, that as I started to move away they seemed to follow me. Can't be certain about that as the game crashed soon after.

Was the Japanese navy after because I sank two Shokaku Class Aircraft Carriers on one patrol? Maybe. Would they send 100 odd destroyers to essentially follow me? Doubtful.

Currently running:
SH4
SH4: Uboat
Op Monsoon

Flying_Ducthman 03-11-15 05:57 PM

Had this happen on my last few patrols running GFO. I have no idea what causes it, but a reload from my "Hard"(save in the office) save and re-doing the patrol fixed it.

Lochar 03-31-15 09:19 PM

I know old post being necro'd but recently started back into sh4.

First few games I did a few patrols for career mode to get back into game, no issue.

Started a career with TMO but cancelled that as had weird save game glitched that would cause my reload to release a huge cloud of smoke maki ng me visible like a beacon. or would not have enemies around.

Anyways other than that no issues with TC.

So now back to vanilla game and on first patrol still, I just finished leaving a large convoy out of torpedoes and get a bit away when TC lag from hell hit.

I am not sure if I am in middle of another Japanese invasion taking place or what but a lot of convoy markers on map and anything past 128 makes pc crawl.

It almost seems like a huge amount of convoys started to spawn on my world map and not sure if its trying to track them all.

I am limping home at 1k x speed but it becomes a nightmare cuz once past 256 I am pretty much locked up til contact warning drops me down to 1x again.

I would start over but lol last convoy attack was best I ever did in this game and most of it was lucky misses hitting another ship in convoy but wracked up a decent tonnage.

I am hoping once the patrol ends that the map will reset for next patrol and clear issue, but probably will take me 45 minutes to get back to pearl at this rate.

Was hoping found some kind of cache clear command by now to fix this or figure out the issue...