SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Real Navigation Mod files - FINAL (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113975)

KeldorKatarn 03-22-08 03:48 PM

It would really be interesting to get this fixed, not just for real navigation issues.

I recently waited on a 90° position to a convoy in rough weather and at night.. when the convoy was nearly in shooting position I noticed to my shock that I was 40° off course, and that had happened in just a few minutes!

I have never been on a ship trying to steer it but from my physical understanding of things there is absolutely no way the sea and the waves will actually TURN a ship 40° while it is not making any forward motion.. move it somewhere over time yes.. slightly turn it over a lot of time, yes.. but turn it nearly 45° over a couple of minutes?

This is really a bugger since it makes surface attacks in storms really bad. you always hhave to use the course plotting tool of the nav map and do at least 1 knot to stay on course and that way you make sound and run into positions where you don't want to be so sometimes you have to reverse engines which forces your to first come to a complete stop, then drag the course plotting tool 180° to the other direction, then reverse engines. if done otherwise the ship will start to turn because the stupid engine is trying to make the boat run backwards on that course...

This is really really annoying. I also can never set an intercept course even over a smallest distance, or a 90° attack course with the compass because my boat will always turn if not at a complete 0m/s wind speed.

I think if someone could fix this crap it would give SH3 a much better reality feeling. Drifiting off course is something different than turning, and from what I heard from modders, drifting happens additional to this stupid turning thing, so that wouldn't even have to be added....

joegrundman 03-22-08 10:05 PM

I believe this is not true KeldorKatarn, and is why submarines rarely came to a full stop, and cetainly not when making an attack.

I believe you need a minimum speed to have steerage, that is for the rudder to work, and i guess for the hydroplanes too. If you come to a stop you will be affected by any small currents and eddies, and most importantly the wind will slowly cause your boat to point into the wind.

A submarine underwater at full stop will also find it hard to retain it's 3 D orientation and this could be upset even if someone moves from one compartment to another.

But the effect of wind and current should not effect your heading while at moving, as it is a simple task of using the rudder and looking at the compass. This feature of the game is horrible, and i wish it hadn't been done like this. Instead what should happen is that you get a deflection on your actual course while your heading remains constant, rather like happens with an airplane flying with some sort of cross wind.

KeldorKatarn 03-22-08 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joegrundman
I believe this is not true KeldorKatarn, and is why submarines rarely came to a full stop, and cetainly not when making an attack.

I believe you need a minimum speed to have steerage, that is for the rudder to work, and i guess for the hydroplanes too. If you come to a stop you will be affected by any small currents and eddies, and most importantly the wind will slowly cause your boat to point into the wind.

A submarine underwater at full stop will also find it hard to retain it's 3 D orientation and this could be upset even if someone moves from one compartment to another.

But the effect of wind and current should not effect your heading while at moving, as it is a simple task of using the rudder and looking at the compass. This feature of the game is horrible, and i wish it hadn't been done like this. Instead what should happen is that you get a deflection on your actual course while your heading remains constant, rather like happens with an airplane flying with some sort of cross wind.

I know wind would turn me slowly, but not to this extreme extend, especially not with decks awash. The current will also not turn me, possible move me, but not turn me.

Ktl_KUrtz 11-07-08 07:03 PM

Hi VanJast,
I cannot get this excellent mod to work with NYGM 3.0.
I am running no other mods than the above.
Is it compatable or is there a NYGM version?
Thanks in advance if you can help.
KUrtz

Delareon 11-11-08 11:32 AM

i will also give that mod a try, looks very interesting to me.
But the issue about the useless helmsman how is always loosing his course...
how did u made your course changes?
did u use the rudder or did u use the compass?
my hope was when u use the compass maybe the helmsman can hold his course,
instead of modifying the rudder because then it looks ok for me if the helmsmann doesnt do anything to correct the course because the captain ordered the rudder to 0 degrees.

Myxale 11-11-08 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delareon
i will also give that mod a try, looks very interesting to me.
But the issue about the useless helmsman how is always loosing his course...
how did u made your course changes?
did u use the rudder or did u use the compass?
my hope was when u use the compass maybe the helmsman can hold his course,
instead of modifying the rudder because then it looks ok for me if the helmsmann doesnt do anything to correct the course because the captain ordered the rudder to 0 degrees.

That's a bit more complicated.

The helmsman, who was sitting in the the tower -right next to the attack scope, had no real way of meeting the currents.

He was supposed to keep the needle of his compass rose at the ordered number. If the Boat - for example- was carried off 200 miles west, but his bow was still facing north the helmsman would still be on course, but not the boat.

This is where the navigator steps in. After shooting stars he was able to tell where exactly they were, and how far from the estimated course they drifted.

Whether you use the ruder, to correct the course or the the compass bearing, is the same in the end!

Pisces 11-12-08 05:15 PM

The problem with the SH3 helmsman is that he 'goes away for a cup of coffee' when the uboot reached the ordered course and the rudder is settled amidship, but never corrects afterwards. After that your uboot is at the mercy of the waves. Only a waypoint would keep your uboot pointed in the same direction at all times. (apart from code hacking or a patch) Only that defeats the deadreckoning challenge, since the waypoint is fixed to some place on the SH3 world (and the line is shown), instead of just being a compass direction it follows.

don1reed 11-12-08 05:45 PM

All meridians point North [South] (Great Circles). Just for education: A good thing to google is Uboat gyro compasses; and, the difference between magnetic compasses.

Good postings, everyone.

Cheers,

Lanzfeld 11-18-08 04:46 PM

This GMT thing is messing me up. I understand GMT (I am a pilot) but just not in the game.

So if I save at 30 West the next time I load the GMT clock will be correct GMT or will it be my original base time?

Ktl_KUrtz 11-18-08 05:39 PM

I cannot download the ReadMe!
Is the link broken?
KUrtz

UberTorpedo 11-18-08 09:46 PM

I just tried the link and it's working ok. PM me if you still can't get the link to work and I'll get it to you some other way :):up:

cheers
UT

6SJ7GT 11-30-08 04:38 PM

Nautical Almanacs

Vanjast,
when we worked out a way of navigating celestially in SH4, I made a set of nautical almanacs. I recently added the 1939 - 1940 almanacs and you are free to use them in your mod if you wish.

you can find them here;
http://hosted.filefront.com/6sj7gt/2231663

enjoy,
Mike

Rodolph 12-12-08 02:14 PM

This mod may give the game a new dimension! I guess, cause I didnt got it runnin. Anyone here with GWX 2.1 + this outstanding intresting nav.mod? Will it work together?

bye, Rodolph

Rodolph 12-13-08 04:34 PM

It don`t :shifty:

Patchman123 03-08-09 03:45 PM

I'm having a problem with the Navigation mod in Silent Hunter III with GWX 3.0 mod. The problem is that it is giving me a "menu not found" error. What should I do? What did I do wrong? I'm using GWX 3.0.