SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Wish me luck (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=241219)

TM=Bluntman 05-17-19 07:21 PM

Wish me luck

Heading to Scapa Flow tonight. First time ever doing it with TWOS, 100% real. Not sure if I should enter West or enter East. Should be a blast either way. :Kaleun_Salivating::Kaleun_Binocular:

Sailor Steve 05-17-19 08:23 PM

Scapa Flow is one of the great problems of any sub sim. Prien only made it because he worked closely with Dönitz analyzing photographs and planning every last step. That said, the mission shouldn't be easy. So, best of luck. And he entered from the east.

Oh, a point of interest: The very last episode of The Silent Service was devoted to Prien's adventure. And Gunther Prien himself was played by Werner Klemperer, the future Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes.

TM=Bluntman 05-18-19 10:34 AM

Well that just sucked lol, I thought I found a way into the basin, ran aground to the right after getting through the mines. Went in pinging all the way to get around the sunken ships. Guess I didn't extend far enough to the right (closer to the shore I'm guessing.) I'll give it another go tonight.

Fifi 05-18-19 12:03 PM

Prien used the tide to enter by the East...without tide, he probably couldn’t!

Sea tide isn’t modeled in any SH... :D

XenonSurf 05-18-19 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2610036)

Yeah, I think this operation was so daring that no one on the English side would have predicted it. AFAIK a similar attack was only repeated in an American port once.

Also I think it's impossible to simulate it in a sub game, especially because all ship AIs are turned off in ports in all SH games.

TM=Bluntman 05-18-19 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2610036)

It seems to be low tide lol....I'll keep pinging until I find the sweet spot.

Sailor Steve 05-18-19 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2610039)
Yeah, I think this operation was so daring that no one on the English side would have predicted it.

As I recall the Royal Navy was planning on sealing up that channel just a week or so later, so Prien was really lucky in that respect as well.

rmax 05-24-19 12:18 PM

My 2 pfennigs

I have tried this in U-32 after two reasonably successful early WW2 patrols.

Spoiler alert ahead:

I went around to enter the south entrance from the western side. I had to avoid 2 destroyers that were patrolling that side, but slipped past them and then headed into the basin.

Creeping a long underwater and avoiding the coastal defences, I made it pretty much in...before running aground (I felt in mid channel..but hey). End of boat on the rocks. In my mind we escaped (we were only at 15m) and spent the rest of the war in captivity...

I always knew Prien was daring (a committed Nazi too, but that is not what is under discussion). Even without tides it is difficult. SH5 is a game, and I was not going to lose my life through the attempt (although I do play dead = dead, so I am back at Memel YET AGAIN). But it gave me immense appreciation of the tension, navigating skill, and sheer bravery of someone that was so young.