SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   SH2 and Destroyer Command Problems (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213777)

scott_c2911 06-05-14 06:20 AM

SH2 and Destroyer Command Problems

Im having some issues with these games being displayed correctly on my rig. Most of the txt in the menu interface and in game is distorted or missing. When I say distorted it looks like its been smeared across the page. I have tried reinstalling and fiddling with gpu and display settings but I have now run out of ideas.
My rig
Intel pentium 4 2.8ghz
2GB RAM
1GB NVIDIA Geforce 210 gpu
Windows XP Home Edition sp2
This pc has been deliberately excluded from the internet so there are no updates or other service packs. It is used soley for playing last decade games such as all of the silent hunter series bar sh5. Its rubbish anyway lol. The graphics driver is the latest available though. It has direct x 9c aswell. When it was installed and I came to configure the sound and graphics settings it did not give me the option to choose my gpu and I believe that may have something to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

tmccarthy 06-08-14 03:36 PM

I believe it's the graphic card. Some seem to work fine with these sims and others don't. I play DC and had smearing and disjointed screens with Geforce GT610 and a previous card.

DC works for me with Geforce GT520. I don't have any explanation or solution. Wish I could be of more help.

Hinrich Schwab 06-10-14 05:26 PM

The NVIDIA Geforce 200 series has compatibility problems with SH2 and DC. It is something in the physical architecture and swapping drivers will not solve the problem. I have a desktop with a NVIDIA 210 in it that can run both games in stock, but gets silly once PM is installed. Yet I have a laptop with a Geforce 360M that has zero issues. Some NVIDIA cards just can not run the game.

scott_c2911 06-11-14 05:30 AM

Thats bad news but I think I may be able to use the game without a dedicated gpu. My motherboards built in graphics processor is capable of using 64mb of the ram which should be enough. I just need to find a way of disabling the gpu temporarily without screwing things up for sh3 and sh4. Any ideas how to do that would be beneficial too but thanks for the help so far guys.

aanker 06-11-14 10:47 AM

If I remember right, Right-click on the desktop, bring up properties and you can temporarily disable your card and use 'onboard' graphics in XP.

Another idea is to run it through a DOSBox version that is compatible with XP. This may even work with your graphics card.

Good luck.....

Happy Hunting! - (I hope soon)

scott_c2911 06-11-14 12:00 PM

Ive got dfend reloaded which is dosbox with a ui that I can get on with. I wasnt old enough when dos was going so im not fluent in dos commands. I use it to run sh1ce v1.31. I will try that first then disable the gpu if dosbox fails. Thanx again I will let you know of the results.

MS angevelu 04-09-15 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_c2911 (Post 2215604)
Ive got dfend reloaded which is dosbox with a ui that I can get on with. I wasnt old enough when dos was going so im not fluent in dos commands. I use it to run sh1ce v1.31. I will try that first then disable the gpu if dosbox fails. Thanx again I will let you know of the results.

Is yor problem resolved ?*

with which version of the game you play ?
with what patch ? or add on ?

Major Johnson 05-15-15 10:07 AM

Much to my pleasant surprise, SH2 runs fine on my Win7 64 bit installations on both my ASUS laptop and the rig I just recently built which is in my sig. No special tweaking needed. It just installed and worked!! Although I did not use the default install directory. I have a 2nd harddrive just for game installs.