SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Dramatic video shows Coast Guard leaping onto submarine carrying 17,000lbs of cocaine (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=241781)

Onkel Neal 07-12-19 04:44 AM

Dramatic video shows Coast Guard leaping onto submarine carrying 17,000lbs of cocaine

Crew members can be seen jumping onto a moving narco-sub and busting open the hatch in the USCG video.

https://www.subsim.com/nucleus/media...712-_navys.jpg

Quote:

The U.S. Coast Guard released video Thursday of service members leaping onto a submarine carrying 17,000 pounds of cocaine as part of a monthslong, $569 million cocaine bust.

A member of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Munro can be seen in the video yelling at an unidentified aquatic vehicle to stop as it moved alongside the cutter at the surface of the Eastern Pacific Ocean. Crew members then jump onto the top of the mostly submerged vessel as it's moving and bust open the hatch.

A person inside the vessel can be seen briefly just as the hatch opens at the end of the minutelong video.

About 17,000 pounds of cocaine were found inside along with five suspected smugglers, the U.S. Coast Guard told NBC News on Thursday. The estimated street value of the drugs is $232 million.

Self-propelled submersible vessels, often called “narco-subs,” are sometimes used by cartels and traffickers to smuggle drugs across borders.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...7-000-n1028986

I guess it's not a true submersible, apparently it cannot actually dive...:hmmm: If I were the CG I would have sank him!

Mr Quatro 07-12-19 05:17 AM

Wow! Make America great again by doubling the price of street drugs :up:

Jimbuna 07-12-19 05:17 AM

When that hatch opened I'd have been tempted to throw a couple of grenades inside.

Pablo 07-12-19 07:10 AM

"Semi-submersible"

Hi!

This particular version cannot dive - it's a "semi-submersible" with minimal exposure above the water line, but law enforcement has in the past seized true submarines in the jungles of Colombia and Ecuador.

The Coast Guard generally doesn't throw grenades or ram these guys since law enforcement prefers to encourage peaceful surrender rather than provoke a fight to the death - which is what would happen if the Coasties started giving no quarter. In return, the smugglers will try to run and dump their cargo when possible but give up quietly when finally cornered.

Wikipedia has an interesting, if somewhat dated article on the subject. The article has older images of other semi-submersibles with physical profiles that appear nearly identical to the one in the video, indicating that the narcotraficantes are happy with the profitability of using this design.

FWIW.

moose1am 07-12-19 08:43 AM

Take it out

I'd like to see the coast guard just sink the darn thing with some 30 mm rounds or depth charges. :):Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Wink:

Rockstar 07-12-19 10:29 AM

It may have been the cutter Munroe providing the platform. But I dont think those uniforms are worn by coasties might have been a detachment from some DOD branch of service. Then again, I retired 19 years ago things change.

Pablo 07-13-19 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2618161)
It may have been the cutter Munroe providing the platform. But I dont think those uniforms are worn by coasties might have been a detachment from some DOD branch of service. Then again, I retired 19 years ago things change.

Hi!

The Coast Guard adopted the Naval Working Uniform (NWU) in 2014, according to this directive, which includes reference photos of the NWU.

Hope this helps! :)

PurpleCow 07-16-19 08:32 AM

Glad to see the Coast Guard spending resources on stopping a commodity that so many people want to purchase. What would we ever do without the war on drugs and personal freedom other than save billions of dollars, cut bloated law enforcement agencies, eliminate civil asset confiscation and restore freedom.

We certainly wouldn't want the Coast Guard to focus on rescuing people in actual distress now would we.

em2nought 07-16-19 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleCow (Post 2618761)
Glad to see the Coast Guard spending resources on stopping a commodity that so many people want to purchase.

Being a fiscal conservative, I "sometimes" think maybe they should temporarily intercept it, lace it with something deadly but slow acting(like one month), then give it back. Would probably solve many many problems here. :D No more human feces on San Francisco streets, no worries about storming Area 51, no more AOC voters, no homelessness they'll all have a small plot of land, no raising the SS retirement age to 90 for the people that will work to support the one's that won't, so many solutions. :D:D:D

Plenty of jobs available for "legal" immigrants. :hmmm: Seems like it might be a great final solution. :D:D:D Would also spark nationwide spending in basement remodels for parents after the basement dwellers were extinguished. Except in the south, we don't have basements. :03:

Mr Quatro 07-16-19 10:19 AM

I think they should reward the crew with vacations, bonus money and strippers, which would in turn produce many more drug bust than this one.

Therefore paying for itself many times over. :yep:

Rockstar 07-16-19 03:55 PM

Quote:

Glad to see the Coast Guard spending resources on stopping a commodity that so many people want to purchase. What would we ever do without the war on drugs and personal freedom other than save billions of dollars, cut bloated law enforcement agencies, eliminate civil asset confiscation and restore freedom.

We certainly wouldn't want the Coast Guard to focus on rescuing people in actual distress now would we.

I was a Coastie in Miami in the mid eighties and nineties. Not only were we the busiest SAR station in the world we also interdicted narcotics, conducted AMIO, boating safety, and participated in invasions of Grenada and Haiti too. We did so because were by law tasked to do them.

One only need look at U.S. in late the 1800's and early 1900's too see the reason why authorities intervened and began to govern drug use and its availability. There are somethings that need be governed because most people left to their own devices will abuse things like that and they will do so without concern for themselves or anyone else. Heck, look at the current opioid crisis and you will see what I mean. They too had a freedom to choose and that drug quickly took absolute control of their lives and it affected everyone else around them.

Platapus 07-17-19 04:00 PM

Quote:

The USCG does not make the laws. Their job is to enforce the laws

nikimcbee 07-18-19 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 2618772)
Being a fiscal conservative, I "sometimes" think maybe they should temporarily intercept it, lace it with something deadly but slow acting(like one month), then give it back. Would probably solve many many problems here. :D No more human feces on San Francisco streets, no worries about storming Area 51, no more AOC voters, no homelessness they'll all have a small plot of land, no raising the SS retirement age to 90 for the people that will work to support the one's that won't, so many solutions. :D:D:D

Plenty of jobs available for "legal" immigrants. :hmmm: Seems like it might be a great final solution. :D:D:D Would also spark nationwide spending in basement remodels for parents after the basement dwellers were extinguished. Except in the south, we don't have basements. :03:

lol You're thinking of heroin and meth.

PurpleCow 07-19-19 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 2618950)
The USCG does not make the laws. Their job is to enforce the laws

Who else said that ... ahh ys .. the Waffen SS and Gestapo at the Nuremberg trials. Didn't fly then and it should fly now.

PurpleCow 07-19-19 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2618810)
One only need look at U.S. in late the 1800's and early 1900's too see the reason why authorities intervened and began to govern drug use and its availability. There are somethings that need be governed because most people left to their own devices will abuse things like that and they will do so without concern for themselves or anyone else. Heck, look at the current opioid crisis and you will see what I mean. They too had a freedom to choose and that drug quickly took absolute control of their lives and it affected everyone else around them.

Spoken like a true authoritarian. Government knows best right? Hardly ... all government has the "right" to do is to hold people accountable for the consequences of their actions. Steal to feed a drug habit, then go to jail. Plain and simple. Drink and drive, go to jail and stay there for a few years. Plain and simple. The "opioid epidemic" is a manufactured "crisis" by the DEA and other goons who want control over others. It is also not an "epidemic" or a "disease". Don't want to get addicted to drugs? .. then stop using them ... again plain and simple. If people overdose then it is just natural selection at work. Good riddance. Of course nothing these days is anyone's fault is it ... everything is a disease, a syndrome, but most of all nothing you brought on yourself.

Instead we are left with law enforcement and government that long ago forgot what it means to protect and serve. More like punish and control.

Let the Coast Guard go back to doing what they do best .... SAR and securing our littoral borders. Disband the DEA, ATF, FBI and any other law enforcement agency not directly elected by the people.