SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Not Another Which Mod Thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=247810)

Subtype Zero 12-24-20 03:07 PM

Not Another Which Mod Thread

Greetings, sailors!

Back after a long time away from SH3 and I have certain questions...

Several years ago, I thought I had a pretty good handle on what the "essential" mods were for SH3, such as one of the two super -mods: GWX or NYGM, and Sub Commander, Thomsen's Sound mod, etc.

Now, however, not only are there more than two "super" mods, but also more graphics mods, and more of just about everything else. When you factor in the installation instructions and mod install order (and my increased age) it all becomes quite intimidating.

I guess what I am looking for is a brief rundown of the MAJOR differences between the four or five super mods and some recommendations for what people believe to be the ESSENTIAL mods besides the ones I have already mentioned. I am not interested in starting a flame war, just some brief recommendations and advice on the "new" mods and any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

One more question. I've noticed that SH3 unmodded looks fine on my widescreen monitor, so what is it with these widescreen mods? Are they worth the hassle of installing? Seems they just have some graphics improvements. Can't I get them with the supermods?

Thank you. I don't usually ask a lot of questions, but when I do, they tend to be on the long side! :03:

Niume 12-25-20 07:17 AM

ARB WIDE GUI
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=232178
Great mod. Makes the game look very good. I can't go without it.:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:
Another one is FULL HD U-Boats. But installation is a bit tricky.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=214215

Environment (sea) mod. Makes the ocean looks really nice. and be able to spot ships at 20km!

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=229333

There is modpack called Onealex modpack its based on GWX, I highly reccomend it, it has everything in it.(HSIE PATCH, STIEBLER PATCH, New ships, HD U-boats, Better campaign. But you need to contact him personally to get a download link. If you are intrested in the modpack you can message Onealex, or me and I will help you :Kaleun_Salute:

Fifi 12-25-20 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niume (Post 2716171)

There is modpack called Onealex modpack its based on GWX, I highly reccomend it, it has everything in it.(HSIE PATCH, STIEBLER PATCH, New ships, HD U-boats, Better campaign. But you need to contact him personally to get a download link. If you are intrested in the modpack you can message Onealex, or me and I will help you :Kaleun_Salute:

Onealex download link is always in his videos on YouTube...that can be find here in video thread :03:

Subtype Zero 12-26-20 04:19 PM

Thank you, both!

Any advice on super-mods? I am familiar with GWX and NYGM, but not so much WarAce mod and CCOM mod. Of these, which is more "hardcore" and which more "eyecandy?" Onealex seems interesting, too. I gather it is also an independent mod?

Finally, Living Silent Hunter is mainly a graphics mod, correct?

Subtype Zero 12-26-20 04:24 PM

Back in the day, I worked with Stiebler on improving the weather in SH3. Is he still around?

FUBAR295 12-26-20 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtype Zero (Post 2716478)
Back in the day, I worked with Stiebler on improving the weather in SH3. Is he still around?

His still shows up every so often ... last time was in October of this year.

Have you PM'd him? He gave you credit on the weather fix btw in the docs.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Subtype Zero 12-29-20 12:30 AM

Thanks, Fubar295. I think I recall seeing you on the forum back when I was last active in 2009 or so. Time certainly does fly....

I'll give Stiebler a ring. It was nice for him to mention me in the readme.

Subtype Zero 01-11-21 09:42 PM

Update

After a lot of searching, downloading, applying, patching, and tweaking, I now have the following mods installed:

Quote:

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
1500 meter bearing overlay
M.E.P v6
M.E.P v6 - VisualSensors for NYGM 3.6F
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v6
Optional - Zoomable Free Camera
Optional - FSF for MEP v6
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
ARB WideGui 1920x1080 v0.3.1
Adaptation for English & Deutsch
TychoSh3Patch
I am also thinking of adding Rubini's SH4 effects for SH3 mod and/or the ONEALEX mod. Are they compatible? I would also like to add flakMonkey's interior mod, but I don't know if my computer can handle the extra textures. Any other mods I might have missed that you think I might enjoy? Thanks!

Fifi 01-12-21 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subtype Zero (Post 2720589)
After a lot of searching, downloading, applying, patching, and tweaking, I now have the following mods installed:

I am also thinking of adding Rubini's SH4 effects for SH3 mod and/or the ONEALEX mod. Are they compatible? I would also like to add flakMonkey's interior mod, but I don't know if my computer can handle the extra textures. Any other mods I might have missed that you think I might enjoy? Thanks!

Don’t add the Onealex mod to your NYGM install above! :o
Onealex is a full SH3 game already modded and patched (as Ubisoft should have released SH3 at first!)
It’s not a mod that you can add to a super mod, because it’s a super mod itself.
It’s like if you tried to add GWX to NYGM :haha:

Subtype Zero 01-12-21 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2720613)
Don’t add the Onealex mod to your NYGM install above! :o
Onealex is a full SH3 game already modded and patched (as Ubisoft should have released SH3 at first!)
It’s not a mod that you can add to a super mod, because it’s a super mod itself.
It’s like if you tried to add GWX to NYGM :haha:

Oops! Thanks for the warning. I'll give Onealex a try after I have played with NYGM for awhile.

ericlea 01-13-21 04:53 AM

GWXonealex very nice !

= all the best in one, direct ready to play without having to activate a single mod !

:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up::Kaleun_Cheers:

Subtype Zero 01-13-21 11:36 AM

I found the download link for the Onealex mod, but does anyone have a link to a thread that describes or discusses the mod? I searched for Onealex but didn't have much luck.

Cool! I made Ensign!

ivanov.ruslan 01-13-21 12:15 PM

There is a detailed description of mod, but it is in Russian