SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Radar Detection (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245082)

algray 05-13-20 05:03 AM

Radar Detection

I've just got a radar detector and it seems the range is pretty pathetic. I did read on here that Stiebler had a mod back in 2007 or something to improve the range but can't find it anywhere. How would I fix the range of the radar detector(s) now?

Fifi 05-13-20 05:10 AM

What mods exactly you are using?
There are some big differences in sensors values depending the additional mods you are using. Some needs to be adjusted back to original megamod value.

algray 05-13-20 05:39 AM

Barely any, as I wanted to play the stock game as much as feasible. SH3 Commander, Manos Environment Pack and Thomsen's Sound pack

John Pancoast 05-13-20 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algray (Post 2670291)
I've just got a radar detector and it seems the range is pretty pathetic. I did read on here that Stiebler had a mod back in 2007 or something to improve the range but can't find it anywhere. How would I fix the range of the radar detector(s) now?

Stiebler's mod is here.

However, imo it makes things to easy vs. aircraft. I feel the various megamods do the same. It may be based on lab specs. vs. real world ones, not sure. Sometimes using the historical specs for a piece of equipment is not the way to go gameplay-wise.
A good way to make things a bit better without making aircraft a non-issue is just to mod each rwr's range to just under the environment size you're using.
I.e., if you're using a 16k environment, try a rwr range of 14k or so. What size Mano's env. are you using ?

Fifi 05-13-20 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algray (Post 2670304)
Barely any, as I wanted to play the stock game as much as feasible. SH3 Commander, Manos Environment Pack and Thomsen's Sound pack

So if no mods, or the ones i see above are not interfering the sensors values.
You have the SH3 vanilla sensors values :yep:
And they might be crappy for the radar, as you are saying.
So why not try GWX download? You’ll have a brand new game with all corrected values :yep: ...or even LSH3, Ccom12, NYGM etc...
They all will correct things!

John Pancoast 05-13-20 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2670323)
So if no mods, or the ones i see above are not interfering the sensors values.
You have the SH3 vanilla sensors values :yep:
And they might be crappy for the radar, as you are saying.
So why not try GWX download? You’ll have a brand new game with all corrected values :yep: ...or even LSH3, Ccom12, NYGM etc...
They all will correct things!

Well, they change things. Whether they're correct or not may be a different story. :)

Fifi 05-13-20 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2670325)
Well, they change things. Whether they're correct or not may be a different story. :)

Absolutely :03:

algray 05-13-20 08:12 AM

Thanks both - there will be a time for GWX, but so far I didn't want to change too much, at once. For now I'll take Stiebler's mod and see how it goes. If it's too too easy I might just make the leap to GWX.

John Pancoast 05-13-20 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algray (Post 2670350)
Thanks both - there will be a time for GWX, but so far I didn't want to change too much, at once. For now I'll take Stiebler's mod and see how it goes. If it's too too easy I might just make the leap to GWX.

GWX's rwr is to easy too. :D

Aquelarrefox 05-13-20 10:30 AM

Serch onealex gwx, search his YouTube channel, advising the mod soup, or try nygm but there's a soup, still...

John Pancoast 05-13-20 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquelarrefox (Post 2670375)
Serch onealex gwx, search his YouTube channel, advising the mod soup, or try nygm but there's a soup, still...

NYGM uses the above Stiebler's patch.