SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Does anyone else have a sonar ping as their mobile ringtone? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131270)

tiger_tim_34 02-19-08 05:53 AM

Does anyone else have a sonar ping as their mobile ringtone?

How about Morse Code sounds for an incoming message? Or "Allllaaaarrrm!" for, well, your morning alarm?

I only advise the latter if you're sleeping alone. The wife took severe umbrage at such a rude awakening. It worked a treat for me, though. I've never left the house so quickly. :up:

I'm thinking of adding whispered orders for 'Silent mode' incoming call and "Contact!" for a Bluetooth or Infrared connection.

antikristuseke 02-19-08 06:33 AM

if i had the sonar ping for a ringtone id **** myself every time soneone called me, especialy concidering people dont call me all to often.

Puster Bill 02-19-08 07:52 AM

I don't (and won't) have a cell phone, but I did change the sounds for my IM to morse. I made the "Incoming call/connect request" sound to be "CQ", the one when you receive a message to be "K", and the sound for ending the connection to be "73".

I won't have a cell anymore because they simply don't have anything to offer me as a ham. I carry a dual-band handheld with me (144/440 MHz) everywhere I go, and I have yet to run into an area where I couldn't hit a repeater. There are *PLENTY* of places that I go where there is little or no cell coverage. I can still generally place a 911 call if necessary, or if not I can get someone who can and relay the information.
On top of that, when there really is a major emergency the cell networks are either jammed up, or non-public safety phones are locked out. In *REALLY* bad cases, like Hurricane Katrina, the cell infrastructure itself is knocked out. Ham radio isn't infrastructure dependent, so it is resistant to those sorts of disasters.

Why should I pay money to keep a service that I get for free as a ham, and in fact is less capable in terms of range and communication capability in an emergency?

Back in 2000, I was one of the ham radio operators who helped provide communications when the Verizon switch in Schenectady, NY was flooded by a water main break. That incident helped solidified my confidence in ham radio in an emergency:
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/risks/21.18.html#subj6

VonDos 02-19-08 08:59 AM

No one can be so mad!

*- ping - ping -ping -*

<keeping the cell telephone> Sorry, they're looking fom me, wait a moment please!

Canovaro 02-19-08 09:22 AM

I have the music from Das Boot as alarm clock, wakes me up every morning!

jumpy 02-19-08 02:10 PM

hehe, no sonar ping ring tone for me, but I have used one of the seagull sound bytes as my text message alert tone ;)

Foghladh_mhara 02-19-08 02:13 PM

I'm a bit more of a traditionalist when it comes to ringtones so I went for the theme tune to Psycho. Causes quite a stir when it goes off in meetings. People tend to avoid eye contact afterwards :hmm:

Blacklight 02-19-08 05:14 PM

Having a sonar ping for a ringtone wouldn't only annoy me, but it would annoy the hell out of the wife. You should see her teeth rattle whenever I intercept a sonar ping in Dangerous Waters ! :doh:

Platapus 02-19-08 05:19 PM

Where can you get good sub sounds for your ring tones?

I have never customized my ring tones <hanging head in shame>:oops:

ReM 02-19-08 05:21 PM

I have "Alarm" and the following sound sequence from 'Das Boot' as ringtone....it raised some eyebrows in the office....:o

Brag 02-19-08 11:29 PM

I raise no alarms. No pings, I hate cell phones, especially because I have one. :dead:

tiger_tim_34 02-20-08 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus

I just converted the relevant SH3 sound file (using a free audio converter) into the same format as the other ringtones on my phone and copied it across to my phone.

Not nearly as tricky as it sounds. ;)

flag4 02-20-08 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_tim_34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus

I just converted the relevant SH3 sound file (using a free audio converter) into the same format as the other ringtones on my phone and copied it across to my phone.

Not nearly as tricky as it sounds. ;)

Sounds tricky ? :hmm:

klh 02-20-08 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_tim_34
How about Morse Code sounds for an incoming message? Or "Allllaaaarrrm!" for, well, your morning alarm?

I only advise the latter if you're sleeping alone. The wife took severe umbrage at such a rude awakening. It worked a treat for me, though. I've never left the house so quickly. :up:

I'm thinking of adding whispered orders for 'Silent mode' incoming call and "Contact!" for a Bluetooth or Infrared connection.

Yep:smug:

Sonar pings for normal phone calls, "Wasserbomb!" for special calls, and "Alaaaarm!!!" for the alarm clock.

And I thought I was the only geek who did that!

mcf1 04-05-08 09:01 AM

I hate that ping sound, I would go mad if I use it as a ringtone:nope: