SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Tanksim.com (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   T34 vs Tiger- Kursk 1943 coming soon! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301)

BlueMind 04-16-10 03:12 AM

I tried the Kursk Mission with more time...

The FPS raise down between 4.2 and 4.8 and sometimes it can reach 7-8 FPS but rarely.
I drove a long time, compared with the other missions, and sometimes, I stopped my Tiger to fire from a very long range without success (between 2-3 km). With this low FPS, it's hard to aim correctly and often, I can't see the impact. So, I can't correct the sight (I always have the problem with the half distance in the sight with the PzGr39-1).
I tried to fire more closest (between 1-1.5 km) but with the sight's bug, I need to correct manually: if enemies are at 1.1 km, I must select 500 meters and aim a little up the target... not really accurate.
:hmmm:
After some unsuccess shoots, my tracks was blow up by the arty. Maybe this mission will be more playable with my next processor and graphic card (IMO, 10 FPS is a minimum to play correctly).

I played another time the german mission nr.1: this damned tanks move a little too much even fire at us and I saw often another Tiger attacking and firing under 50 meters, a real close combat :doh: (for a Tiger is a disadvantage because the slow rotation of the turret)... I watched as a spectator and it was really funny :har:
Moreover, the enemy tanks attack in column and was often in a real traffic jam (see picture below).
http://www.vhpcomputer.ch.ma/project...raffic_jam.jpg
IMO, it would be more effective if they attack in line, or from different ways but, I know it's not a priority and take your time to do what is really important, like the Kursk Mission... and even the sight problem because I can't aim correctly with this bug. About this, is it normal to have a different sight according with the type of ammo used (PzGr39-1 is longer than SprGr. and the sight need to be different)? Maybe this bug is due to the type of ammo and not the TEX of the sight.
Personnaly, I prefer the sight you made ZeeWolf. :03:

der-blaue-max 04-16-10 04:33 AM

I have made a fresh install of TvT too. Now it works fine, the error Message is gone.

LcSummers 04-16-10 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinik (Post 1361715)
LC my Friend this comment was not meant as criticism and simply to illustrate my point about all of us( Me included :wah:) being reasonable in our expectations.

I know a lot of us have some wish list of things we'd like changed, improved, added etc.

I understand that you were reporting what did not function and simply doing what you were asked for.I simply wanted to say that these little things do matter but they are going to put on the backburner until such time as the major issues have been tackled and solved and ZW has the luxury of actually having time to address individual members Xmas wish:D

That being said ZW I have a list of 137 improvements to the game to submit for your spare time:03:.Just kidding....

Cheers

Frinik

Kamerad frinic,

i dont see that as critisim and never saw that. I know you a short time and you mentioned it in the first pages ( yes i can remember) that you never want to critisize.

From my part its a point of view so if i hurt you that was not my intention. I am only to precise may be thats not too good.:hmmm:
But as a model kit builder (not any more) in my younger days i learned to be precise. Always loved a perfect tank or plane.

Cheers and good hunting

LC

frinik 04-16-10 06:10 AM

bug fixes

LC I am not hurt at all.You're the one who needs crutches remember:D?
Don't worry about being a perfectionist it's part and parcel of being a German( explains why German tanks were overworked and too sophisticated).Me too having German roots and blood tend to be picky, fussy and demanding in all the details and wanting to tinker until things are perfekt! But I have learnt to temper my nature to accept that things don't come as we want without a little bit of delay and patience:oops:

That being said the optic sight bug seems like a serious issue...
Good hunting.

I'll be joining you in mission 3 this weekend.

Cheers

BlueMind 04-16-10 07:20 AM

This thread becomes really BIG !

I have a suggestion...

> Take a free forum and just put here the address... with an entire forum, we can have sections according to each type of subjects like: Whishes, Bugs, History, "Bawl about another forum member", etc.

We are closer to 900 posts in this thread, so it becomes difficult to find something.
:03:

Some addresses:
http://www.forumotion.com/
http://www.freeforums.org/
http://www.lefora.com/
etc...

...just a suggestion.

Chucky 04-16-10 07:44 AM

That's a good suggestion BlueMind.
I can't find anything anymore :(

indebin 04-16-10 04:45 PM

Kursk V3

ZW
Installed without problem, runs ok get the same fps as LcSummers but they seem to have dropped by 1 or 2 compared to V2.:-?

morttheslayer 04-16-10 05:36 PM

Hello Zee and all Tiger freaks

First of all a round up of what I have done and discovered.

I had some problems updating my install to the first Kursk mission, and reading all posts decided to go back to square one and sequentially add the latest updates and comment on progress if useful.

So back to standard out of box install (tested OK), then on to install the pre kursk foundation Alpha v.1 release (incorporating all Zees updates prior to Kurk).

Happily all is OK, some observations though upon the game as it is now (i.e. patched to Foundation Alpha v.1) For some strange reason I noticed my FPS have dropped v-slightly, worse case is the First German mission early enemy contact drops FPS to 7/8 in some cases. However soon picks up and general lowest FPS tend to be between 10 and 17.

I noticed many new ground road textures and cloud effects (nice) some clouds look a bit like an impending thunder storm (also nice).
My question is; were these Zees addtions/improvements or has my install done something untoward to the textures?? I can't believe it shouldn't be like this as it looks so good!! Note: it wasn't on the previous ZW mods update - hence my question. Also noticed a few additions (like bunkers) in one of the Russian missions (also nice).

Well I'm not quite at Kursk yet, but would be most grateful for a reply on the textures question (when you get time).

This game has just been fired into orbit and now it's flying!!!!!
it's a hell of a balance getting it to run with heavy action and not bog the FPS down. There's a hell of a lot of hardware out there all different.
As far as I'm concerned it's an amazing job so far.

Just like to add a big thanks to Zee who's been working his nuts off and giving splendid support you are worth every penny mate.

Seig Heil :salute: You are the man

Salute - Mort (hoping to get to the Kursk area sometime soon).

morttheslayer 04-16-10 05:53 PM

Qualifying statements for performance observations

To further quantify the results to date I'm running Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2x3.16GHz) 1333 on a ASUS-P5QC skt 775 mb. GPU 512mb Nvidea GF 9800 GTX+ RAM 4Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz. Audio Creative X-Fi Xtreme audio 7.1.
OS WinXP Home SP3. I run settings shadows 50%, AA default off, forest animations 50%, (grass moves but trees don't!). All else 100%.

My FPS vary sometimes (i.e.drops) with no apparent cause but in general follow the action/fps impact as expected. I find this is a resourse hungry sim and like other members I run IL2, Karkov1942, Flashpoint DR with no real visual problems. I have had FPS down to 4 but this is transitory but has happened.
All the best - Mort:salute:

ZeeWolf 04-16-10 06:21 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your work too. I glad to see Mort back on the frontlines.
And BlueMind that banner looks beautiful man!
And LC and Indebin I enabled the Wespes and the Hummels to attack and
I think that is where the fps were pulled down a bit. Although I am working
still on the swamp effect (that's when the Tiger acts like it hit a big mud
hole). The progress is good but I have to remind everyone that The stock Tiger model is going to be replaced with a new and better model. That is the best way to attack some of the tech issues that I have to guess at and also I can put the Kill Rings on the barrel and add new areas for decals and divisional markings that can be customized. And of course it will have to have an antenna LC.:yep:
I wanted to put the flag over the storage box for areal ID too. Which could
be displayed when you wanted to. But all this is in the mix so know that
we're getting there.

All the best Kameraden!:salute:

ZW

oilman 04-16-10 10:18 PM

Core 2 Duo E8500 mmmmm I'm suffering from core envy....

I'm not much of a tanker dude. But have I not seen in some old movies tanks sporting large flags to denote tank leader, comunications, parade??

I would't mind a big honkin red flag fluttering behing my T34 as I streak accross the battlefield.

morttheslayer 04-17-10 04:24 AM

E8500 Good Juice

Hi Oilman Yes I chose the E8500 Dual Core as it's the best compromise for me for the forseeable future. Had it a year now and I would be prepared to overclock if I felt it needed more juice! So far as I can tell (I'm a 'tinkerer' not an expert) most games are GPU limited rather than CPU. I know all the trajectories and unit movements eat up resources BUT my previous PC had a P4 3.4GHz with NVid 7900 GTX and that ran Karkov well and (Basic original) TvsT (albeit jerky on occassions) with options turned down, so all is not lost. I just like to see all the graphic goodness:DL it helps with the immersion factor.
Of course ZeeWolf is testing the limits of the Game to see what is possible and playable and it must be a nightmare job, he has stepped up the units, objects and terrain and so the CPUs will take a bigger hit now, but I'm hopefull that with the developments we are seeing from Zee we will be able to keep pace with the programme and enjoy playing it for many years possibly (like Zee) upgrading slowly to take advantage of the progress. This could be monster and I hope ZW is around a long time' as for personal support and attention he is unbeatable.
All The Best - Mort

LcSummers 04-17-10 04:31 AM

Oilman

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilman (Post 1362917)
Core 2 Duo E8500 mmmmm I'm suffering from core envy....

I'm not much of a tanker dude. But have I not seen in some old movies tanks sporting large flags to denote tank leader, comunications, parade??

I would't mind a big honkin red flag fluttering behing my T34 as I streak accross the battlefield.

In this sense you are not really right. I think ZW means to have swastika flags on the tank to have an identification for the Luftwaffe esp. the STUKA. There are some orig. coloured pix (think it was a P III) where the flags were on the tanks rear.

This is i think ZW wants to do.

LC

LcSummers 04-17-10 04:47 AM

New tiger i

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1362756)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your work too. I glad to see Mort back on the frontlines.
And BlueMind that banner looks beautiful man!
And LC and Indebin I enabled the Wespes and the Hummels to attack and
I think that is where the fps were pulled down a bit. Although I am working
still on the swamp effect (that's when the Tiger acts like it hit a big mud
hole). The progress is good but I have to remind everyone that The stock Tiger model is going to be replaced with a new and better model. That is the best way to attack some of the tech issues that I have to guess at and also I can put the Kill Rings on the barrel and add new areas for decals and divisional markings that can be customized. And of course it will have to have an antenna LC.:yep:
I wanted to put the flag over the storage box for areal ID too. Which could
be displayed when you wanted to. But all this is in the mix so know that
we're getting there.

All the best Kameraden!:salute:

ZW

What? You are sending me into battle (Kursk) with an old Tiger ? Thats why i never was awarded the Knights Cross only the purple crutches.:haha: .
And thats why i didnt had any chance to give my wingman orders. The Antenna was missing. Thank you very much ZW i think communications will be better in the future with a new antenna mounted on.:D

I cant believe it , a new Tiger I. :yeah:
Everytime when ZW announces something new, its like having birthday.

ZW, i thought upon frinics words. We are now testing the structure and the limits of Kursk. I mean to see that we are closer if not very close to the end.
Thats why i started to search for other "bugs" etc.
Should i give you reports on graphical issues too or do i have to left them behind, forget them. What kind of reports do want to have in the future tests?

Thanks alot for these news and let us roll against fortifications and bunkers.
See you in mission 3 frinic and morty too.

Cheers

LC :o

KdF 04-17-10 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LcSummers (Post 1363072)
In this sense you are not really right. I think ZW means to have swastika flags on the tank to have an identification for the Luftwaffe esp. the STUKA. There are some orig. coloured pix (think it was a P III) where the flags were on the tanks rear.

This is i think ZW wants to do.

LC

He can't. Germany will not allow swastikas on video games, even plastic models. He can however put a red flag with a white circle.

BlueMind 04-17-10 08:45 AM

What I know, the swastika was only when they attack positions combined with aviation (principaly at the beginin of the war, but rarely in 1943) and was flags put by the crew on the rear top of the tanks (like bellow):
http://www.birminghamstories.co.uk/d...nzer_tanks.jpg
But if someone knows more, don't hesitate to give us some informations (or a link... I like learn about WW2... in english pls my german is worse than english).
:03:

It's a little boring for german gamers... Without gore, swastika... Your administration think you will go in war if you see too much blood or flags ?!?
:damn:
Europe is not what it was before... and people (mentality) is different too (IMO)

ZeeWolf 04-17-10 12:12 PM

I hate talking politics because when I do (it seems) I always get in trouble
but here goes!

I thank God that I live in a nation that is stating to really awaken to the
fact that there is no freedom at all with out the base of freedom of
expression and speech. I do not say this to be smug or judgmental of other
nations but I do have to say that any government that is so afraid of what
is in a video game or on a plastic model is a tyranny that needs to be
overthrown. :arrgh!:

I say this especially for the US and UK puppet governments that have been
created after WWII to serve the "Internationalist(Globalist) Greed Machine"
and not at all for the people of those nations. :yep:

I for one am a law abiding citizen of America who is determined to live my
life as free from fear (from government) as possible. But please understand
that to live in Germany today you run the risk of jail, fine or imprisonment
by a puppet regime that has more concern for foreign interests then for the
German people. And THAT is a recipe for revolution- IMO. :up:

Cheers

ZW

morttheslayer 04-17-10 01:48 PM

Politics Off Topic but swastikas on topic but agree ZW

Hi ZW - and it'll probably get worse!!
We live in what's called a "Nanny State" and it certainly is.
Criminals get more justice than the public, we in the UK just threw away common sense with a lot of other good stuff (mainly education) over the last 15 years. Now all is dumbed down for the majority of up and coming dorks.
Rant over but have to say modders put swastikas back where they should be in games - for example IL2 latest edition campaign Defence of The Reich by Flatspinman has lovely authentic skins for LuftW aircraft WITH SWASTIKAS lovely job. I'm all for authenticity.
If swastikas represent tyranny the hammer and sickle, and rising sun should also be banned IMO.
Finished now
ATB - Mort:salute:

morttheslayer 04-17-10 04:15 PM

Kursk Pre Alpha Test Early Report

ZeeWolf:yeah:

What a spectacle!! I got shot up when I finally got to the buildings and wore out my engine. I should test in "immortal" mode but I'm a masochist.

I didn't finish but intend to. Things of note in order of (IMO), importance up to now:

1. First never mind the heavy action issues arising - what a brilliant job! You really feel the Ivans are out to nail you, I felt quite cowardly looking for cover!! Still I thought of Lc, Frinic, KdF, Eddie, Oilman and all the others being my Flack Magnets, and managed to bravely press on in the rear!!
Scenery excellent with wide and rolling tank country, just like - well, Kursk really.:D

2. Lost my good FPS I'm afraid now started at 6 dropped to 4.9 a few times and definately had a visit from the Judderman. Had a few good spells but mostly I'm struggling on the settings I detailed previously.

3. Good install worked straight off the shelf and I liked the menu layout
----- I know I know but I'm behind the curve on this!!

4. There was a flying Russian AT Gun (result of an explosion??) and a couple of dead in the air Russian soldiers. Minor really.

5. The tigers that got ahead of me were milling about clunking together some way outside the first group of buildings before reaching the rear artilliary positions.

I have a suggestion it's not rocket science and has been adopted in other sims (IL2 for example).
Would it be possible to have 2 identical missions for each objective say 1a. and 1b. The difference would be 1a could be a bit "lighter" units/effects/objects than the current Pre Alpha suitable for the lower end (even my PC!!) and 1b could be either left as is or enhanced and stored for future upgrades for those of us short in the pocket at present or played by those like Lc who have lots of spare cash :har:.

If this causes you unnacceptable work levels Zee I fully understand but I love to have all the scenery enhancements as much as possible for immersive effects. So this is just a thought for you at present, I'd love to run this mission smoothly as it's superb and I don't want to take out too much goodness either. I just need more funding eh!!!!

PS I still love you (In a manly Tiger Commander sort of way!!):salute:

PPS thanks for the promotion to Mate - I did notice:woot:

ZeeWolf 04-17-10 05:49 PM

Excellent Mort, great work mate, :salute:
This is just in time for the new Kursk update that will up the fps a tad and
deal with the swamp effect with low fps. The turning at hi-speed is really
been improved as well as your ability to stay up with the other Tigers even
at low fps.
And LC the pull to the left is due to the terrain. There will be a pull to the
right if the right side of your Tiger is in decline too.
All things considered this one is really worth a try Mort and I would like to
know your opinion about being ready for the guys who are not beta testing
if they might enjoy it now. However the "A" mission and "B" mission is a fantastic idea and sure to be a welcome addition for the guys who have
trouble with low frame rates with this Kursk mission.

So stand by mate, in about 30 min. or so I will send you a new link for
this update v4. :up:

Cheers,
ZW