SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Magic Numbers? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240579)

Elphaba 04-06-19 04:26 AM

Magic Numbers?

As a real life pilot, I'm used to 'magic numbers' everywhere. i.e. Set this power to get this attitude etc.

So are there magic numbers for Wolfpack that anyone wants to share?

i.e. what ballast amounts and dive plane settings for x depth at y speed?

I'm sure the fun is working them out for yourself, but doing this solo is proving laborious and not exactly accurate!

derstosstrupp 04-06-19 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphaba (Post 2601577)
As a real life pilot, I'm used to 'magic numbers' everywhere. i.e. Set this power to get this attitude etc.

So are there magic numbers for Wolfpack that anyone wants to share?

i.e. what ballast amounts and dive plane settings for x depth at y speed?

I'm sure the fun is working them out for yourself, but doing this solo is proving laborious and not exactly accurate!

Check out my thread on proposed SOPs: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240545

Granted it is written for a full crew complement but it has recommendations as to speed settings etc.

Pisces 04-06-19 10:00 AM

0.05 cubic meters (halve of a tick) water in the negative tank to stay balanced at or around periscope depth with neutral dive planes or 0 speed.

I don't know about other depths yet.

Elphaba 04-07-19 11:58 AM

Thank you Pisces

Pisces 04-07-19 01:34 PM

Well, since it is hard to get the right amount of water in the negative tank you still need to watch the depth dial every now and then. But it will certainly slow down the rising of the boat.

Elphaba 04-08-19 10:33 AM

Just FYI, and btw this is incredible that it's modelled, but if you run on the surface at Full (flank) speed but with the forward and aft ballast tanks full, and the negative tank empty (yes it can be done and helps down down REALLY quickly without blowing through your attack periscope (AP) depth) then your speed is decreased from 17.7 to 13.

From talking with Neal, if you run decks awash, this too will decrease speed, but it's hard to do this solo, but I'll try and report back with findings.

snailer 04-08-19 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphaba (Post 2602129)
Just FYI, and btw this is incredible that it's modelled, but if you run on the surface at Full (flank) speed but with the forward and aft ballast tanks full, and the negative tank empty (yes it can be done and helps down down REALLY quickly without blowing through your attack periscope (AP) depth) then your speed is decreased from 17.7 to 13.

I can confirm, and will also add that running with full ballasts is also great when engaging on surface for two reasons:

- The submarine will be a lot more stable, this helps a ton with the deck gun hitting percentage (easier to aim).

- You are lower on the water (smaller target)

tortuga power 04-09-19 01:38 PM

SOP on my boat is decks awash at night as you close with the convoy -- "decks awash" being fully flooded fore/aft ballast and vacant negative tank. For safety we keep dive planes 5 degrees up.

Why decks awash? Your crash dive speed is much faster (maybe 10 seconds or so). A huge difference!

(The main limit on crash dive speed, besides human reaction time and coordination, is filling the main ballasts.)

stoppro 04-09-19 03:48 PM

I have been practicing but still can't keep periscope depth. what speed is everyone using for this.

B4dHorse 04-09-19 04:22 PM

well i can keep you in periscope depth at any speed, or while halt by now, its really not that hard.

just be aware that this system is not perfect. and it needs a little bit of practice.
I am pretty good a keeping my depth by now, but still i have to check it every few minutes when i am playing solo, just to be sure.

for starters, it is like "Pisces" said.
keep just a LITTLE amount of water in the negativ tank. just between zero and the first little line. Never use your mousewheel when trying to achieve this. "Grab" the valve with your mouse and move it left/right carefully to open or close the valve.
If you want or need a quick tutorial ingame just message me, we can surely find a few minutes to do that.