SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Anyone here have COVID? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=248869)

Platapus 03-16-21 06:58 AM

Anyone here have COVID?

I’ll start

On 25 Feb, I started with the most minor of coughs. Barely annoying. On 26 Feb, I received my first COVID vaccination. Upon returning to my office, I was informed that we were shutting down due to a possible COVID exposure. My Director is taking this very seriously. During that weekend, I was informed that several members of my office had tested positive for COVID. On Tuesday, 2 March, I also was tested positive for COVID, but the only symptom I had was this minor cough. I was able to work (TW) that week, with no problems.

The following week, my primary COVID symptom kicked in. Profound Fatigue. For those who have never been inflicted with Profound Fatigue, it can be difficult to imagine how it is. Basically, it is an inability to perform any type of voluntarily action. I had experienced short periods of Profound Fatigue when I had had the flu, but for COVID, I experienced two full weeks of this.

For example, one day, I spent 20 hours straight laying in the same position. Normally, I can’t spend more than 6 hours in bed before things starting to hurt.

Unfortunately, one of the results of Profound Fatigue is that you can’t eat. You want to eat, but simply do not have the energy to physically eat. One time, I was feeling very hungry. I was sitting on my couch with a container of protein drink in front of me. All I had to do was reach out and open the container and drink. That simple operation took over 20 minutes. This type of debilitating fatigue starts a vicious cycle of not eating, thereby causing more weakness compounded by the weakness of COVID. Not good.

Walking the dog was an exhausting experience. I was slowly walking down to the end of our block like I was 100 years old. To the end of the block and back was all I could manage and that resulted in collapsing on the couch for about an hour just getting by breathing under control.
I consider myself pretty lucky in that I only had a minor case and the only real symptom was the Profound Fatigue.

Then around 11 March, it ended. The fatigue stopped as quickly as it came. I am still feeling tired and weak, but 100% better. I am on antibiotics for the lingering cough and that’s almost gone.

I hope to get back to work on 22 March when my office opens up again.

This was, by far, not the worst illness I had experienced. But it was pretty un-fun.

I go in for my second COVID vaccination tomorrow and on Thursday I have another COVID test.

Anyone else experience the fun of COVID?

Reece 03-16-21 07:01 AM

That's horrible, seems you're on the mend now though, I truly wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. :yep:

Cheers.

Skybird 03-16-21 07:15 AM

Watch out for yourself! And be prepared for late symptoms even after months. They do not always happen, but happen anything but rarely. Overplaying your energy levels at work because you think you must compensate for your colleagues staying ill at home, is not a good idea. Manage your reserves.

That is sound advice for every desease and job, btw. That one feels one can go "all steam" again does not necessarily mean that it is always a good idea to do so immediately.

I wish you a good recovery.

AVGWarhawk 03-16-21 08:39 AM

Wow! Really throw you for a loop. I have not gotten COVID(thankfully) but a family of 3 I know all got it. They were out of work for 3 weeks straight. All just wiped out from the virus. I'm glad you are on the mend!

Catfish 03-16-21 08:57 AM

You did not mention this before, hoping you get completely well soon, without those pesky after effects that are sometimes happening.
Since you got the vaccination and feeling better it should be ok now, but be careful and hold back for some more days, this covid is a beast.

Some friends being in a karate sport club also got covid last year, two of them still have difficulties to breath and are physically very weak after half a year.

Mr Quatro 03-16-21 10:50 AM

Sorry to hear that Platapus hope you can continue to improve and get back to work.

Did they pay you or just on your own for being out sick?

I had the same symptoms last year for 6 weeks, but somehow kicked it.

Still waiting for my first shot while my ex-wife gets her second shot tomorrow (she's rich by her 2nd husband though) :hmmm:

Platapus 03-16-21 11:37 AM

Fortunately, I only had to take one week sick leave. The rest of the time I was on Telework status.

At my organization we were on an alternate week schedule, one week in the office and one week at home TW.

TW sucks. :(

Von Due 03-16-21 01:18 PM

Speedy recovery to you!

Jimbuna 03-16-21 02:00 PM

Sorry to learn of this but happy you are on the mend.

A family of three living a couple of hundred yards away from me all died within two days of each other.

Eichhörnchen 03-16-21 02:03 PM

So sorry to hear about this, mate; didn't you have anyone to care for you?

Platapus 03-16-21 03:16 PM

Fortunately, The Frau is about a week behind me, although her symptoms were a lot more severe. So we were able to take care of each other.

On Monday we celebrated our 25th... with COVID. LoL

Commander Wallace 03-16-21 04:03 PM

Very sorry to hear of your difficulties, mate. I'm very happy to hear you are on the mend. I hope your wife is doing good as well.

Stay safe

All the best in your recovery.

Eichhörnchen 03-16-21 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 2736800)
Fortunately, The Frau is about a week behind me, although her symptoms were a lot more severe. So we were able to take care of each other.

On Monday we celebrated our 25th... with COVID. LoL

Wishing you both well, Platapus mate

Kapitan 03-16-21 08:06 PM

all the best in your recovery

i had it back in November 2020 tested positive mine was loss of taste and smell other than that it went away after a month, then about 6 weeks ago i got a lung infection so could be after effects.

However you sound like you got it much worse than i did so i really do hope you feel better soon:Kaleun_Salute:

Rockstar 03-16-21 10:08 PM

Hope you all get well soon. I think I may have had it March of last year, but that was before any testing was available. My mom got it last October and I went down to Florida to care for her. About five days afterwards I had fever and a watery nose for two days but no other symptoms.