SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Sub Buddy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246121)

zerocat69 07-31-20 05:33 AM

Sub Buddy

Is Sub Buddy a worthwhile addition to wolfpack or of no use in this game

derstosstrupp 07-31-20 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocat69 (Post 2686285)
Is Sub Buddy a worthwhile addition to wolfpack or of no use in this game

It is very much worth it! Especially for Wolfpack as there are no other “assists” for manual targeting provided.

zerocat69 07-31-20 06:30 AM

aob

Thank you for the quick reply. Does this app make it easier for finding the AOB as its what i have the most problems with even after watching so many youtube videos on the subject

derstosstrupp 07-31-20 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocat69 (Post 2686300)
Thank you for the quick reply. Does this app make it easier for finding the AOB as its what i have the most problems with even after watching so many youtube videos on the subject

There is an AOB trainer in there with a rotatable ship yes. And I should be clear, although I contributed the training videos for this app, I don’t reap any of the proceeds, it was a labor of love, so I’m not trying to sell you on it for that reason.

zerocat69 07-31-20 07:35 AM

sub buddy

I bought it thanks for the advice looks great i hope im intelligent enough to use it now :) the videos are very informative

Pisces 07-31-20 07:40 AM

It's a calculator predominantly. It can help you calculate AOB when you know your own course, their course and true or relative bearing. The other side can help to calculate the AOB based on other factors. If you've got a formula for it that depends on multiplication and division (and maybe some adding/subtracting done on paper) then you can use it for that. For example, it is possible to calculate AOB based on apparent sizes measured with the periscope scales and the 'real' sizes in the recognition manual. Or if you established constant bearing situation and know their exact speed (and ofcourse know the bearing and own speed) then aligning the scales in a certain way you can come up with the AOB. But aside from the visual ship rotator function it does not tell you otherwise what the AOB is. It is a general calculator, the intelligence must come from you. It doesn't care how you perform them. Something comes out whether it makes sense or garbage. And not just AOB. Though there are some procedures shown in the accompanying videos (narrated by derstosstrupp).

In the download section there is also the Angriffscheibe Manual (Attackdisk Manual) which may contain other procedures not mentioned in the videos (and vice versa) that can be applied to it. It's made for a different implementation of the 'non-historical' sliderule side. (templates built to make physical DIY or modded implementations in game.) But the manual should provide a good introduction on how to use it before you buy the Sub-buddy app for real.

[Edit]: I guess this is advice 5 minutes too late. :)

zerocat69 07-31-20 08:03 AM

sub buddy

Any advice is never too late except when he says did you close the hatch then its to late thanks

Aktungbby 07-31-20 10:02 AM

welcome aboard!

zerocat69!:Kaleun_Salute: