SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   A rare look inside nuclear powered submarine USS Florida (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243514)

Onkel Neal 01-04-20 02:26 PM

A rare look inside nuclear powered submarine USS Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjuz...wIG1GWl2nWjNTQ

Mr Quatro 01-08-20 10:56 AM

I liked the video Neal ... I wish I could watch it with a real submarine sailor and he could tell me what I am looking at.

Sonar use to be in a small room all by itself like the radio room, but now it is out in the open.

Enlisted men use to be the planes men and helm now it is officer's.

Candy and snacks offered for free between meals ... Wow!

Onkel Neal 01-08-20 11:46 AM

They have some kind of secret room, I could see techs entering and leaving when I was on USS Texas. Signal intel probably.

I thought it was interesting to see all the women sailors, man times have changed :)

Mr Quatro 01-08-20 05:13 PM

Quote:

They have some kind of secret room, I could see techs entering and leaving when I was on USS Texas. Signal intel probably.
A computer room perhaps ... here's an SSBN Ohio class (14) of these left

Showing all the compartments I find the numbers 6 Command and control center and number 8 Missile control center interesting suggesting two conn's.

The first one must be for navigation and firing torpedo's, but I wonder if the second one can control depth and heading for the firing of missiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio-class_submarine

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rawing.svg.png

Line drawing of the Ohio class in its original SSBN configuration. (1) Sonar dome, (2) Main ballast tanks, (3) Computer room, (4) Integrated radio room, (5) Sonar room, (6) Command and control center, (7) Navigation center, (8) Missile control center, (9) Engine room, (10) Reactor compartment, (11) Auxiliary machinery room no. 2, (12) Crew's berthing (13) Auxiliary machinery room no. 1, (14) Torpedo room, (15) Wardroom, (16) Chief petty officer quarters, (17) Missile compartment

Mork_417 01-08-20 06:34 PM

LOL, my favorite part...

"This could lift up at anytime?" - David Muir
"This could lift up at anytime, on order." - Rear Admiral

Onkel Neal 01-09-20 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mork_417 (Post 2643828)
LOL, my favorite part...

"This could lift up at anytime?" - David Muir
"This could lift up at anytime, on order." - Rear Admiral

:haha:

ETR3(SS) 01-10-20 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Quatro (Post 2643748)
I liked the video Neal ... I wish I could watch it with a real submarine sailor and he could tell me what I am looking at.

Sonar use to be in a small room all by itself like the radio room, but now it is out in the open.

Enlisted men use to be the planes men and helm now it is officer's.

Candy and snacks offered for free between meals ... Wow!

I'm your huckleberry, I was on an Ohio SSBN. :salute:

ET2SN 01-10-20 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2644012)

Be careful, huckleberry. The eyes of the fleet are upon you. :O:

:Kaleun_Cheers:

ETR3(SS) 01-10-20 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ET2SN (Post 2644014)
Be careful, huckleberry. The eyes of the fleet are upon you. :O:

:Kaleun_Cheers:

The secrets of the cloaking device won't be revealed. :O:

Mr Quatro 01-10-20 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2644012)

When the test to test you came over the wire and the CO gave the orders to man battle stations missile ...

Did he warn you that this was a test?

Rufus Shinra 01-10-20 02:05 PM

Pretty roomy, these SSN feel as vast as our SSBN. ^_^;

ET2SN 01-10-20 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2644018)
The secrets of the cloaking device won't be revealed. :O:

The "entities" back in Maneuvering also requested (? Its so hard to tell when they mind-meld with you) that you "zip it". :k_confused:

:O:

ET2SN 01-10-20 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra (Post 2644086)
Pretty roomy,

True story, once upon a time- a long, long time ago, an Ohio steamed into Pearl Harbor for a day and tied up at Ford Island. I got "nominated" :doh: to be the "crew liason" because I knew the guy who ran the enlisted club on Ford. :Kaleun_Cheers:
As it turned out, I knew a couple of the guys from training back in Groton and got invited aboard for a tour. We were standing in Nav Center and the only thing I could think to ask was "Its pretty big down here, who has to clean it?".
"Oh, we got nubs for that.." :yeah:

:D

ETR3(SS) 01-11-20 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Quatro (Post 2644055)
When the test to test you came over the wire and the CO gave the orders to man battle stations missile ...

Did he warn you that this was a test?

You always knew if it was for training. Sometimes it would be in the P.O.T.D (Plan of the Day), sometimes not. But there's an escalation of steps that occurs that leads to WWIII, if those steps aren't taken it's a pretty safe bet it's a drill. That said, there was one time when the CO flubbed on his 1MC and read the wrong line stating "strategic launch" vice "status test.":o:haha:

In reference to your previous curiosity about there being two conns, there's not. Aside from emergency local controls, course and depth are controlled from the Control Room. Speed orders are given from Control to Maneuvering via the telegraph.

ETR3(SS) 01-11-20 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ET2SN (Post 2644100)
The "entities" back in Maneuvering also requested (? Its so hard to tell when they mind-meld with you) that you "zip it". :k_confused:

:O:

Hot rock make boat go. Oh no, I've said too much!:timeout::haha: