SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Sub Wakes (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242472)

skirich 09-16-19 05:32 PM

Sub Wakes

I have had some success at tweaking my sub mechanics, adding diesel smoke etc.

One thing that has been plaguing me is fixing the interim wakes the sub creates at speed.

Not the Bow Wake, nor the Stern Wake. I'm talking about the darker wake that fans way out like christmas tree branches from the sub on both side.

Its a file and a filter, but I cant seem to figure out whoch.
The texture files in Misc are my targets, but so far not one I touched has made any change in game, so I'm not finding it.

Any clue would help.
Thanks

propbeanie 09-16-19 07:42 PM

There is a node link relationship between the SubName.dat and the SubName.val, and you might just be wanting to noodle with the "GeometryShipWake" in the val, which links to the Node:SumName_ShipWake in the dat file. Not the 2x front wakes, not the 1x rear wake, but the node in the middle of the boat... at least, that's what it sounds like you're after. I'm not sure if you're after "darkening" it? For me, that is a black box area of the game, and all I'm good at doing with it is CTDs - besides the fact that the wake is a resource eater... :har: :salute:

skirich 09-16-19 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2627679)
There is a node link relationship between the SubName.dat and the SubName.val, and you might just be wanting to noodle with the "GeometryShipWake" in the val, which links to the Node:SumName_ShipWake in the dat file. Not the 2x front wakes, not the 1x rear wake, but the node in the middle of the boat... at least, that's what it sounds like you're after. I'm not sure if you're after "darkening" it? For me, that is a black box area of the game, and all I'm good at doing with it is CTDs - besides the fact that the wake is a resource eater... :har: :salute:

I'll explore this some more.
So far I found a direct correlation of GeometryShipWake with the WakeHM.dds texture file.
I've built Normal textures before (-Normal- meaning water transparency) and I have the necessary 3d software.

I've altered the WakeHM.dds file enough that its not as dark as it was. The depth alpha layers where incorrect, or maybe set too deep based on the creators tastes and graphics card. Todays modern gpu card interprets the data way too much so it looks fake and not like a mid wake at all. At least to me.

Now with the texture file set, i'll be playing with the val and dat to see what I can come up with.

skirich 09-16-19 10:01 PM

Water Reflectivity

So far I havent found the spots to alter water as in the whole ocean, reflectivity. It seems to glass like.

Any tips in where to find that. I'm hoping not to have to alter filter files, but I am getting close to finding it and it seems to point in that direction.

Comparing improved environment, real enviroment and TMO mods water seems like its all filter, but I may be wrong here.

Greystone 09-16-19 10:18 PM

Skirich;
I may or may not get what you're trying to change in your first post, but I remember when I was put off by the wake the sub made; it was just too huge and unrealistic...
I went into the Graphic Settings and unchecked the 3d Ship Wakes and, much to my delight, the resulting wake looked much more realistic.

skirich 09-17-19 12:11 AM

I was able to get a really nice wake and water.
I had to modify the wake texture, the shipval, and tweek TMO’s clearwater filter.

I was about to upload them here but it won’t let me. So I’ll make a mod with some snapshots tomorrow and upload for anyone wishing a fix for those dark wake bands.

propbeanie 09-17-19 06:49 AM

Sounds nice. Send Onkel Neal a PM and request file upload privileges. My main trouble with uploading is landing my mod in the correct folder... Sailor Steve has had to help me there... :roll: