SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Your top submarine movies (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=104539)

Jimbuna 02-21-07 02:44 AM

No one mentioned Yellow Submarine (Beatles) yet :hmm:

robbierob2005 02-21-07 09:37 AM

Das Boot (all versions, the longer the better)
Run Silent Run Deep.
The enemy Below

I do like the "hunt for red oktober" and "Crimson tide). I even bought them but I prefer those old ww2 diesels.

Sailor Steve 02-21-07 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna

I love the Beatles, and I love Yellow Submarine, but I don't really think of it as a "submarine" movie; to me it's more of an "unidentified flying cupcake" movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbierob2005
(all versions, the longer the better)

In that case, I guess my favorite is Silent Hunter III!:sunny:

loynokid 02-21-07 05:33 PM

True

Quote:

Lol... thats true, great band too... :lol:

Jimbuna 02-21-07 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:

I love the Beatles, and I love Yellow Submarine, but I don't really think of it as a "submarine" movie; to me it's more of an "unidentified flying cupcake" movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbierob2005
(all versions, the longer the better)

In that case, I guess my favorite is Silent Hunter III!:sunny:

Hey!!....I like cupcakes :lol:

Orret 02-21-07 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Hellcats of the Navy, if only because of who stars in it ;)

http://www.subguru.com/images/Hellcats-of-the-navy.jpg

Bill Nichols...L:o :oK youtube´s link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KHgRRRIVRE

but my favorite film is "Dass Boot"

rman214 02-24-07 06:15 PM

Ice Station Zebra

Saw this old classic flick today and it reminded me of the cold war in the 1960's. The boat in the movie seemed to be an old Skate class attack sub and showed seemingly realistic under ice ops...at least for 1968. The inside shots seemed to be accurate and reminded me of my visit on the Nautilus. However, the noise coming from the engineering spaces was deafining, at least in the movie and led the way to much quieter boats. Can any of you sub veterans tell me what "injection temperature" means or was it a goof like the 1260' deep dive. Anyway, it makes for a good afternoon star studded flick. :ping:

Letum 02-25-07 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Quote:

Originally Posted by Letum

You goose. Thats not Das Boot. Thats Das Boot.sys!

Dos, not Das

TLAM Strike 03-01-07 03:40 PM

Well besides Das Boot and THFRO I just love Silent Steel. Ok it was more of a game (an "Interactive Movie"). Chief Jollen has some of the best one liners of any sub movie, and his Kilo boat range rant is a classic.

Schattenkrieger 03-06-07 07:42 AM

My all time sub movie favorite is "Das Boot" in the Uncut TV Edition. "Hunt for Red Octobre" is also very funny. It covers almost every aspect of modern naval Warfare, that u can play in Dangerous Waters. I always laugh when Thompson saves the day, bringing Dallas into the Path of Red Octobre and the incoming fish. The torpedo follows Dallas- is distracted by the two countermeasures, still active and home in to the Akula Class Sub. Try this whole tactic in Sub Command/ Dangerous Waters. It won't NEVER work:rotfl: But its very cool to watch all over again. Its also funny, that they seem to use a waterfall typ sonar on Red Octobre. Jones probably brings some spare parts from Dallas along;)
Crimson Tide isn't bad either. Great acting between Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.

nikimcbee 03-12-07 03:56 AM

72 Meters (about a Russian Kilo)
Victory at Sea "Full Fathom Five":rock:

and "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming":rotfl: :rock:

harryt8 03-12-07 04:40 AM

Best film

As a ex Royal Navy submariner (T, P & O Boats) "Das Boot" has such attention to detail, excellent casting, is well acted with a good plot, that it is outstanding in this field.

harryt8:yep:

Platapus 04-05-07 10:41 AM

I will probably be keel hauled for posting this but my list is

1. K19 The actual experiences of the Hotel 1 was a bit less dramatic than the movie, but it still was a heroic crew in what they did,
2. Das Boot (perhaps this is second because I have seen it way too many times)
3. Enemy below:up:

For entertainment purposes I like Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant. It is a true propaganda movie and not all that realistic but not all that bad either.

I am very happy to see that no one put "Crash Dive" on their list. More of a love triangle love story then a sub story <blach>:down:

Torpedo Run with Glenn Ford is not bad. A pretty dramatic scene when he has to sink the Japanese transport carrying his wife and children.

I did not care for "Grey Lady Down" To me it was just another in the "Airport" disaster series with a sub.

I need to get a copy of "Torpedo Alley" and "We dive at dawn" for my sub library.

seawolf34 04-09-07 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Any ideas? I'd prefer something in colour first, and if anyone says *whisper*U-571*whisper* I'll castrate them. :arrgh!:

:up: that one you should already own :D

perisher 05-02-07 05:27 PM

Morning Departure.