SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   There goes Hong Kong (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245190)

Skybird 05-28-20 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 2673581)
Hong Kong, Taiwan, and a return to the status quo are probably what was promised to the Chinese by the democrats :hmmm:

:o Geht's noch...?

Psychologists call that a projection.

If there was a precedence for acting like you imply, then it were the Republicans versus Jimmy Carter, with the Republican side making a deal with Teheran to delay the hostage release until Reagan had won and Carter could not benefit from the release anymore. :03:

https://consortiumnews.com/the-new-o...rprise-series/

The author is no unknown name to me, he was not some dubious backroom writer, but a highly prolific investigative journalist who came to fame with his role in the Iran contra affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Parry_(journalist)

Of course, uncritical worshippers of Reagan and Republicanism absolutely dispise him.

Mr Quatro 05-29-20 11:13 AM

I am bad :yep:
After you watch this you will never forget it or be the same again

What are the odds of a 90 year old woman just makin this stuff up?

What are the chances of the country she is talking about is Hong Kong?

Another prophet Dimitri Dudman prophesied more than once that America
would go to war with China and then WWIII would start with Russia sneak
attacking the USA to protect China. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y98E...ature=emb_logo

mapuc 05-29-20 12:52 PM

Trying to understand the step UK have taken by offer 300,000 of the citizens i HK a citizenship in UK.

HK is not under UK leadership anymore or is it ?

Markus

Catfish 05-29-20 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2673597)
:o Geht's noch...?
Psychologists call that a projection. [...]

I would be less polite, but i have stopped answering or commenting to certain posts :haha:
Popcorn reserves are in danger though ..

Jimbuna 05-29-20 01:09 PM

China is facing mounting criticism over a planned security law for Hong Kong which would make it a crime to undermine Beijing's authority in the territory.

The UK and US said at a private session of the UN Security Council that the law would curtail the city's freedoms.

China, which blocked a formal meeting, warned them to "stop interfering".

Hong Kong's autonomy is guaranteed by the 1997 agreement under which it was returned to China from the UK.

It enjoys some freedoms - of the press and association - unseen in mainland China.

But there are fears the proposed law - which has sparked a wave of anti-mainland protests - could end Hong Kong's unique status.

This week, Britain said that if China went forward with the law, it could offer British National (Overseas) passport holders a path to UK citizenship.

There are 350,000 BNO passport holders in Hong Kong who currently have the right to visit the UK for up to six months without a visa.

On Friday, the UK Home Office confirmed the new rights could be given to up to three million people with BNO status - as long as they applied for and were granted a passport.

China says all BNO passport holders are Chinese nationals, and if the UK changes this practice, it would violate international law.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asi...eporting-story

Rockstar 05-29-20 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2673766)
Trying to understand the step UK have taken by offer 300,000 of the citizens i HK a citizenship in UK.

HK is not under UK leadership anymore or is it ?

Markus

No, Brits gave up on Hong Kong years ago. It has since been part of China, governed by Beijing. Only thing Hong Kong retained after the transfer was a special economic status that allowed their economy to continue "business as usual" rather than change to the current Chinese communist way of doing things. I guess with all the civil unrest in Hong Kong directed at mainland China. Beijing cracked down and seems to have flushed Hong Kong's special economic status down the toilet as a way to quell the riots.

August 05-29-20 02:08 PM

Not being a real part of China the island of Taiwan is a bit of a different story.

Jimbuna 05-30-20 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2673800)
Not being a real part of China the island of Taiwan is a bit of a different story.

The burning question being....would the US act in its defence should it be attacked?

I'm confident they would if it were Japan.

Skybird 05-30-20 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2673790)
No, Brits gave up on Hong Kong years ago. It has since been part of China, governed by Beijing. Only thing Hong Kong retained after the transfer was a special economic status that allowed their economy to continue "business as usual" rather than change to the current Chinese communist way of doing things. I guess with all the civil unrest in Hong Kong directed at mainland China. Beijing cracked down and seems to have flushed Hong Kong's special economic status down the toilet as a way to quell the riots.

The sequence of things I recall differently. There was not unrest that made Bejing crack down on Hongkong, but there was China trying to push through new legislation in HongKong allowing mainland secuirty forces and policies to take over huge parts of Hongkongs regional autonomy and freedoms and to have the decisive control. Against this the protests on the streets started. Now the mafiosi in bejing use this resistence as a strawman alibi foro their own violent push as excuse to solve the issue with brute force.

I never lived by the illusion that the autonomy of HongKong would last, I always based on the premisse that Bejing will take over Hongkong and bring it back into its Reich sooner or later. After all the chinese tick quite imperial. Now that it happens its nevertheless sad to see.

If fifteen years ago somebody would have told me that i would one day turn as anti-China and quite hostile to it as I have turned indeed by now, I would not have believed it. Not just because HongKong, however. Their whole totalitarian fascist system to me stands for everything that is evil, and sinister. Its an Orwellian nightmare empire surpassing Orwell by far.

Jimbuna 05-30-20 09:03 AM

Hong Kong was never really free of Chinese ifluence. I was last there in 77/78 and even then when at the mainland border point I recall walking along a street of shops and on the opposite side you could see Chinese soldiers with fixed bayonets similar to Berlin but without the wall.

mapuc 05-30-20 12:22 PM

Now I'm a little diffused.

Didn't those demonstration start several month ago when the government in Hong Kong had planned on making/implement some law ?

Markus

Jimbuna 05-30-20 02:37 PM

Yes, but the Chinese have had enough of the Hong Kong legislature failing to curb the problem and have now used it as an excuse (imho) to grasp total control of the territory.

Aktungbby 05-30-20 02:53 PM

Just more practise for upcoming Taiwan, the disputed Indian/Kashmir region, Spratley Islands...all stemming from the unchallenged takeover of Tibet in '59 by a weak indetermined West...:hmmm: the real problem with an overpopulated planet of 8,000,000,000 +- is that 1,400,000,000+- of them are Chinese with a political agenda to be the dominant power on earth-their one-family-one-child policy now strategically discontinued; by every means possible incl. their aggrandizing RBI global policy:ping::ping::ping::x The only real question left is: should I learn Mandrin or Xiang Sino-speke?

Texas Red 05-30-20 04:42 PM

What really pisses me off is the fact that China is spreading BS about “How all the people in Hong Kong are nationalists” maybe some are, but maybe the majority of people want to have a democratic government.

I just wish we don’t have another Pearl Harbor but on a West Coast city or somewhere else.
Two Pearl Harbors in one century.
I really hope that we don’t go off to war, least I don’t want to have Nuclear War.
Honestly, I agree with Onkel here. We should just stop using China for our economy and then they will go down a notch maybe.

We should do what we did with Japan before WW2 was we just stopped importing or exporting supplies.
We should hope this doesn’t lead to war.

Catfish 05-30-20 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the beast (Post 2674041)
[...] I agree with Onkel here. We should just stop using China for our economy and then they will go down a notch maybe.

Too late, they copied and stole so much, they are well able to do it all by themseves now. Which of course denies their legend of own innovation and all that.
We should indeed maintain and produce the basic and essential things "ourselves" (meaning the west here), from information exchange to medicine/drugs, and not let openly hostile régimes voluntarily rob us while them pretending to be more advanced.
We can see that e.g when it comes to Corona the chinese way obviously was not the best way to contain a pandemic, let alone it was caused by the very government pretending to be "superior".
They really state that democracy is a thing of the 20ieth century, and that the chinese way is the right way for the future (lmAo). Maybe their own populaion believes that due to the censorship and brainwashing, but it will be hard to convince US.
At least i hope so..