SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Coast Guns (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=253549)

tom2189 09-11-22 10:03 PM

Coastal Guns

I wonder, why i dont often see a japanese coast guns in game, do you know a mod that have coastal defence near Japanese bases, occupied ports, etc. ?

Or do you know a file that can be modified? and i will add them myself on a map.

quickening58 09-11-22 11:43 PM

Shore batteries....

I'v seen and felt the shore batteries bite....it was a shocking surprise for sure.....and an excellent beginners story :D
It was a wet and stormy night as we patrolled outside of Bungo Suido. Finally,with nothing coming out of the Bungo, we headed in at 8-9knots, cause we saw occasional radar returns up inside.
Kinda figured they were fishing boats.....but we had plenty of time to egress back out in deep water by sunrise. The rain and wind helped the trip in,too.
Long story short, after sinking a small lonely tramper, then getting involved with chasing down one of many singles we had on radar, we found out our planned 12-14kt egress wasn't going to cut it, broke off the chase and started romping out of there out at 19-21kts :arrgh!: Obviously didn't need to charge the batteries :up: Passing the island guarding the entrance to the inner sanctum.....and damn if we weren't taking fire AND getting hit!! Still wet and windy---low viz, but I guess they could see our rooster tail :haha: Sure didn't see those batteries on the way in. Alot of zig zagging and off course turns,we made it out ok :yeah: Spent extra time on the surface attending to some damage when we got out.
Later...found a small convoy to play with and got Dc'd pretty good. Found out shortly afterwards with another convoy encounter, that you don't stay at 300ft for very long with 48% hull damage. Didn't make it home :hmmm: Its been an enlightening learning curve :haha:

Aktungbby 09-12-22 12:30 AM

Welcome aboard!

quickening58!:Kaleun_Salute:

Mad Mardigan 09-12-22 12:55 AM

Re: Welcome aboard...

:Kaleun_Cheers:

quickening58! :Kaleun_Salute:

KaleunMarco 09-12-22 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom2189 (Post 2827306)
I wonder, why i dont often see a japanese coast guns in game, do you know a mod that have coastal defence near Japanese bases, occupied ports, etc. ?

Or do you know a file that can be modified? and i will add them myself on a map.

tom,

not entirely sure about a coastal-defense-gun mod's existence.
suffice it to say that each gun must be placed by hand using the Mission Editor(ME).
if you wish to take that on as a project, create a \Data\Campaigns\Campaign\CoastalBatteries_tom2189. mis file and then open it with the ME and start placing guns.
when you want to see it in action, re-post and we can go through the process at that time as there is no reason to complicate things before you start out.

good luck.

p.s. have you worked with the ME previously?

Bubblehead1980 09-12-22 10:06 AM

Quote:

Depends on the mod. Stock not that many guns overall. In TMO update, I added many in appropriate places, especially ports.

They are not always easy for lookouts to spot, often times first indication of a shore battery are shell splashes. Best to assume if within 10000-11000(11000 yards is longest range i've been fired at by shore battery, depends on type of gun) yards of shore, they have shore batteries.

As KM mentioned, they have to be placed by hand in the ME, which can get quite monotonous and time consuming.

KaleunMarco 09-12-22 10:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 (Post 2827375)
Depends on the mod. Stock not that many guns overall. In TMO update, I added many in appropriate places, especially ports.

They are not always easy for lookouts to spot, often times first indication of a shore battery are shell splashes. Best to assume if within 10000-11000(11000 yards is longest range i've been fired at by shore battery, depends on type of gun) yards of shore, they have shore batteries.

As KM mentioned, they have to be placed by hand in the ME, which can get quite monotonous and time consuming.

my previous post-answer to Tom addressed presence and placement only, using the ME.

detection and attack variables for the coastal batteries are stored in files outside of the dotMIS file and will affect all weapons of the same type that are used in SH4.

tom2189 09-12-22 01:04 PM

No i didn't work with ME, i guess, what is ME? I am quick learner tho... Also if anyone can send me that file from TMO with coastal defence placed, would be appreciated. Cause i have a slow laptop, and only version it's supports is stock. Also any example how to "write code" in ME to place guns would be appreciated �� i will make mod myself for a stock game

KaleunMarco 09-12-22 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom2189 (Post 2827411)
No i didn't work with ME, i guess, what is ME? I am quick learner tho... Also if anyone can send me that file from TMO with coastal defence placed, would be appreciated. Cause i have a slow laptop, and only version it's supports is stock. Also any example how to "write code" in ME to place guns would be appreciated �� i will make mod myself for a stock game

the ME is the Mission Editor which comes with SH4 1.5-Uboat missions.
it resides in the main SH4 folder.
https://i.ibb.co/GJBXzsV/Picture0024.jpg
there is a bit of documentation in the Downloads forum but it is from SH3, mostly, and sometimes it is not as helpful as it might be.
basically, you should read what there is and dive into it.
since you are using a new file, you cannot screw anything up.

there is no code writing for ME...it is a manual process: place one gun at one location at one time.

tom2189 09-12-22 04:10 PM

I opened an editor, found a Campaign folder and opened some stuff to explore. Few things i dont understand:
First - In each file, for example "Insertion Commando", when it objective activates, is it merge with somehow an "Base" map of where all Bases, Patrols, or other stuff is?

Second - where is this "base" map is? and by the way, i dont see any of coastal bases and docks on a map

Third - i can create an new map with all coastal defences, but i dont see any dock to orient where to place and coastal gun, and i dont know on what date each island is under Japanese control...

P.S. Sorry for bad english, not my native language

KaleunMarco 09-12-22 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom2189 (Post 2827447)
I opened an editor, found a Campaign folder and opened some stuff to explore. Few things i dont understand:
First - In each file, for example "Insertion Commando", when it objective activates, is it merge with somehow an "Base" map of where all Bases, Patrols, or other stuff is?

Second - where is this "base" map is? and by the way, i dont see any of coastal bases and docks on a map

Third - i can create an new map with all coastal defences, but i dont see any dock to orient where to place and coastal gun, and i dont know on what date each island is under Japanese control...

P.S. Sorry for bad english, not my native language

your english is just fine, Tom, but your experience is not so fine. :03:

you need some time playing the game and getting familiar with things, in general. my suggestion is that you play Stock for a while and get the feel of things before you begin a project like you have suggested because to do what you want to do requires it.

my apologies if you are offended. it was not intended to be that.

go sink some ships, Herr Kaleun.

propbeanie 09-12-22 09:09 PM

Before you guys go re-inventing the wheel:
Stock game

https://i.imgur.com/V93KjqF.jpg
\SH4Stock \Campaigns \Campaign \Jap_CoastalBattery.mis

-and-

https://i.imgur.com/CJ5BCFk.jpg
\SH4Stock \Campaigns \CampaignGE \CampaignData \Allies_CoastalBattery.mis

You can definitely tell that they were "in a rush" to get v1.5 out, since there are not very many guns placed, and none around Australia... :salute:

KaleunMarco 09-12-22 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2827487)
Stock game

You can definitely tell that they were "in a rush" to get v1.5 out, since there are not very many guns placed, and none around Australia... :salute:

i'm not rushing into anything...especially if it makes the task more dangerous.
even in Stock you have to get through the mine fields and subnets before coastal batteries get a shot at you, please forgive my hyperbole.

no, i was describing to the young padawan how he can add to the misery.
i never recommended that he proceed.

i suggested that he go sink some ships first, but you know these young padawans.
:har:

tom2189 09-13-22 06:13 PM

Friend, my experience is ok, all i wanted is some sort of extra danger, like an ambush from the coast. Isn't it's far from true that Japanese have placed hidden guns and observation posts on islands of Pacific? I want some extra experience on a boring travel from point A to point B. Even aviation don't harass me as much as i expect...

To the point: After i've posted my last message, i've discovered that Coastal Guns file (was not so attentive)

The question is that i can't "Validate" it, cause it says that i need to place a waypoint for each gun i've placed (sic!).

I've done it, but its says that i need to place each waypoint not closer than 1000 yards or meters, i"ve drag each, but again editor doesn't allow me to save my file cause validation fails anyway.

Don't know what to do!

I'll try add only one gun and one waypoint to it and will try to validate it again to see what i can do.

Any good advices is appreciated.

Edit: I've opened this file and tried o validate it, it's failed and even not edited file cant be saved!!! What to do?

It says: "Error found when validating mission. Please see the mission validation window and solve them before saving"

I've ran a check of unmodified file and it says there is a problem with waypoints, strange things

tom2189 09-13-22 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2827487)
Stock game

https://i.imgur.com/V93KjqF.jpg
\SH4Stock \Campaigns \Campaign \Jap_CoastalBattery.mis

-and-

https://i.imgur.com/CJ5BCFk.jpg
\SH4Stock \Campaigns \CampaignGE \CampaignData \Allies_CoastalBattery.mis

Thanks for the support