SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   What's Goin on With DiMercurio ? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=99599)

PaCInO 10-17-06 02:57 AM

What's Goin on With DiMercurio ?

Hi Guys !!! did someone Know what's goin on whit Michael DiMercurio ? No update since 8 month on his web site, And No News About his next Book ?

Bill Nichols 10-17-06 04:53 AM

Yes I am waiting with baited breath for his next piece of art. ;)

Bum 10-17-06 06:16 PM

I've heard he's had personal problems. The last few pages of his last book explained some trouble with his married life or something :(

Grayback 11-06-06 02:23 PM

Haven't read much of Dimercurio (sorry if I'm getting the spelling wrong). The last I read was "Barracuda: Final Bearing" which I thought was promising but ultimately lame. "Phoenix Sub Zero" was much better, but in "Barracuda" you spend like half the book just getting to the point where the action is going to start, and then the story just glances at the action. (WARNING SPOILER!!) A character wakes up on a hospital ship and just hears that a big part of the surface fleet has just been destroyed. There aren't any prolonged action sequences - ships detect their targets and sink them; targets may detect torpedoes on the way and either evade them or (more often) get sunk. I remember more coherent and prolonged plotting in "Phoenix". Are there any Dimercurio fans who can describe how well Barracuda typifies his other books?

Dogzero1 12-14-08 03:13 PM

Dimercurio

He was one of, if not my favourite authors until his last book. Vertical Dive. Too graphic and over the top. His books were pure modern sub warfare until this one and to be honest, he has made me go against him and his novels after this one.

I'll try Joe Buffs next.

John Channing 12-14-08 04:03 PM

Michael's a great guy and a great writer. I had the privilege of getting to know him a bit a few years ago and found him to be incredibly open, honest, funny and generous.

Like a lot of great writers Micheal has his demons and the have haunted him in the past and, I fear, have returned to haunt him again. The guy I got to know certainly has the strength of chatacter to overcome them, but it takes time and energy. My thoughts are certainly with him

As far as his books go I still think "Attack of the Seawolf" is his best work.

JCC

D'biter 12-14-08 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogzero1
He was one of, if not my favourite authors until his last book. Vertical Dive. Too graphic and over the top. His books were pure modern sub warfare until this one and to be honest, he has made me go against him and his novels after this one.

I'm with you

Onkel Neal 12-17-08 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Channing
Michael's a great guy and a great writer. I had the privilege of getting to know him a bit a few years ago and found him to be incredibly open, honest, funny and generous.

Like a lot of great writers Micheal has his demons and the have haunted him in the past and, I fear, have returned to haunt him again. The guy I got to know certainly has the strength of chatacter to overcome them, but it takes time and energy. My thoughts are certainly with him

As far as his books go I still think "Attack of the Seawolf" is his best work.

JCC

Same here. I really enjoyed Mike's first books. I think he struggled later to keep his stories fresh, that's probably part of the growing process as a writer. I hope he picks up his pen again and produces a new book.

I had the honor of dining with Joe Buff (left) and Michael DiMercurio (right) last year.
http://www.subsim.com/P2062869.JPG
Both of these men are wonderful fellows. Joe is warm and an amazing storehouse of info. I found Mike to be one of those guys who has charisma and wit, he's the type of guy that everyone gravitates to at a gathering. Very nice guy.