SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Rich hunting grounds (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242833)

MiccerU69 10-18-19 04:46 PM

Rich hunting grounds

Hi guys

Just wanted to share this here but I started a career in 1939 and must say... The west coast of Portugal are some rich hunting grounds :Kaleun_Salute:.

Just went up and down the coast in a box search pattern twice and found 11 merchants for a total of 40000+ GRT. Was extremely lucky with the weather though, 2 weeks of flat calm seas.. Very unlike SH3 :haha::haha:

Anyway, just a small tip I wanted to give. Oh and no aircraft or destroyers either :yeah:

John Pancoast 10-18-19 09:55 PM

I'm at the opposite end. This career now in 1943, third patrol in a row shaping up to be zero tonnage.
No contacts, only one convoy report which I couldn't intercept due to weather.
I stay out for 45 days, including transit to/from.
After two weeks at the initial patrol grid, I request new orders.
No luck there either lately; got denied a change once.
Just part of the experience.

Crew was muttering something about some "HMS Bounty and Pitcairn Island" whatever that means.....

glaude 10-19-19 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiccerU69 (Post 2633011)
Hi guys

Just wanted to share this here but I started a career in 1939 and must say... The west coast of Portugal are some rich hunting grounds :Kaleun_Salute:.

Just went up and down the coast in a box search pattern twice and found 11 merchants for a total of 40000+ GRT. Was extremely lucky with the weather though, 2 weeks of flat calm seas.. Very unlike SH3 :haha::haha:

Anyway, just a small tip I wanted to give. Oh and no aircraft or destroyers either :yeah:

Hello,
How do you go so far on your first patrol?
Fuel oil do not miss you?
What nationality are the ships sunk in September 1939?

MiccerU69 10-19-19 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaude (Post 2633026)
Hello,
How do you go so far on your first patrol?
Fuel oil do not miss you?
What nationality are the ships sunk in September 1939?

I'm based in Wilhelmshaven and BDU gave me a patrol grid NW off the Iberian Peninsula so I had to go there anyway. I just sail to my patrol area at around 8 kts but with TC at 4096 it's okay.

If you stick to that speed during your patrol the fuel oil is quite ok. Just don't run after every ship you get a report on :).
Most ships are either from the UK or France. If you stick to the north coast of Spain you get more French ships.

John Pancoast 10-19-19 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiccerU69 (Post 2633030)
I'm based in Wilhelmshaven and BDU gave me a patrol grid NW off the Iberian Peninsula so I had to go there anyway. I just sail to my patrol area at around 8 kts but with TC at 4096 it's okay.

If you stick to that speed during your patrol the fuel oil is quite ok. Just don't run after every ship you get a report on :).
Most ships are either from the UK or France. If you stick to the north coast of Spain you get more French ships.

Fwiw, you're not going to get any air activity above 256 tc.

glaude 10-19-19 09:40 AM

Thanks MiccerU69 for the infos.
I will test one of these days
Regards
Yves

tacter 10-21-19 06:53 AM

Great stuff!!