SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Problem with NYGM officer icons blocks of colour... (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242028)

RevReese 08-07-19 06:29 AM

Problem with NYGM officer icons blocks of colour... and multiple install issues

Hello all, I have just reinstalled SH3 after buying a new computer and thought i would try NYGM as i usually go GWX.

I have installed fresh clean copies of the game one for GWX, and one for NYGM.
I have installed SH3 Commander, JSGME to each and MultiSH3 (though this does not seem to be working as the separate folders are not created in My Documents).

I installed NYGM following the instructions on the download page (e.g top 6 parts all in the correct order with JSGME).

I assume i don't need all the rest as they are optional but i thought i would download them anyway until i can figure out if i want them or not.

Problem is, upon loading into the game, the Officer icons on the bottom left are bright rectangles of solid colour (green/yellow/pink etc) is this normal?

I have not tested beyond this point yet as i wanted to ensure i have installed everything correctly (which i assume i haven't) before embarking on a career.

I did patch the sh3.exe with the Stiebler patch which seemed to work no problem.

Replacing the sh3.exe with the backup unmodded copy made no difference.

Can anyone please help me get back on track? I really want to try this mod but just want to make sure it is all stable first!!

I will try reinstalling again in case i missed something but any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Thank you for your time.

ThePrody 08-07-19 07:46 AM

yes, the colored blocks for officer icons are part of the mod , not many people liked it , there is an optional mod called Captain's America icons or something like that, it replaces those blocks with icons .

RevReese 08-07-19 08:36 AM

ah okay, that explains it then!
Thank you for clarifying, i will just grab the Captain America mod then.

Edit: I have noticed that the Weapons Officer icon is missing, there is literally nothing there to click on! I created the folder structure as the readme instructed before adding the folder to JSGME and activating it.

It wanted to overwrite NYGM's icons which was fine as i do not like them anyway.

The other problem i have is with SH3 Commander, if i launch the game with it, it seems to just load the vanilla game (even though it says NYGM TW loaded via SH3 Commander at the bottom but there was no NYGM splash screen, just the vanilla game).

Do i launch via SH3 Commander shortcut (assuming it does actually load NYGM) or the shortcut directly to the patched sh3.exe which definitely does load NYGM 3.6 with the splash screens?

Also, i noticed that Captain America's Icon mod does not work when loading via SH3 Commander, it has the default faces instead which makes me think NYGM is not running correctly.

Is there a way for me to see if the mod and sub mods are working?

My SH3 Commander profiles appear when loaded via sh3 commander but do not when loaded via the shortcut to sh3.exe which makes me think i need to launch via sh3 commander always.

propbeanie 08-07-19 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevReese (Post 2621889)
... I have installed fresh clean copies of the game one for GWX, and one for NYGM.
I have installed SH3 Commander, JSGME to each and MultiSH3 (though this does not seem to be working as the separate folders are not created in My Documents)...

I assume your new computer has Windows 10? The path for the stock Save folder normally would be "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH3". Also, the SH3.exe file has to be able to be written to, so right-click on the SH3.exe file, and choose "Properties" from the context menu, and look at the file attributes section, and make certain that the "Read-only" tick box is empty. You'll also have to have the file set like that to use the 4gig Patch. If you've already done that, I apologize ahead of time. :salute:

RevReese 08-07-19 09:46 AM

Yes i am on Windows 10 :)

sh3.exe is not set to read only but it was a good idea to check it!

propbeanie 08-07-19 10:48 AM

:hmmm: Well, I was able to create several Save folders with MultiSH3 on my Win10 laptop... Later today when I get back to that machine, I'll look at the MultiSH3 I have, and if I had to do anything "special" for it to work... I do know that I don't have Silent Hunter III (or 4) installed in a "Program Files" folder... :salute:

RevReese 08-07-19 11:00 AM

Hey, no i haven't installed SH3 to program files, it is under F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3.

I installed MultiSH3 and SH3 Commander to each a separate install to each copy of the game (F:\Silent Hunter 3 NYGM and F:\Silent Hunter 3 GWX).

I clicked "save" on the multish3 dialog box after entering a 3 digit name so i have no idea why it is not working.

ah well, where would i be without mod troubles? :03:
The annoying thing is it will turn out to be some silly mistake on my part!

Anvar1061 08-07-19 12:14 PM

When starting SH3Commander, make sure that you are launching Silent Hunter 3 NYGM (GWX) in the upper left corner.
PS. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=212323

RevReese 08-07-19 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvar1061 (Post 2621926)
When starting SH3Commander, make sure that you are launching Silent Hunter 3 NYGM (GWX) in the upper left corner.
PS. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=212323

Thanks for your reply.
On launching SH3C, there is nothing in the upper left, and it does not appear to load my mods (at least not Captain America's Icons).
There is no NYGM splash screen as there is when i launch the sh3.exe directly but it does show NYGM TW loaded with sh3 commander on the banner at the bottom of the main menu.

The game version still reads 1.4 as well even though i used the Hsie and Stiebler patches when launching via SH3C, this number is correct when loaded directly (V16B1).

Having a read through your linked post, i will try S3F out instead.

Edit: Tried S3F and i like it so far despite needing to edit the config file to add in the mission editor and SH3Commander.
I am trying a fresh install of NYGM though i would still appreciate if anyone could let me know whether to use SH3Commander every time and if it does in fact actually load NYGM as it says it does on the main menu but evidently actually doesn't.

Loading SH3Commander via S3F does not detect my saved career though.

Anvar1061 08-08-19 03:29 AM

Where do you have SH3Commander installed? Perhaps at startup you need to select the NYGM installation folder (GWX) in the settings.

RevReese 08-08-19 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvar1061 (Post 2621991)
Where do you have SH3Commander installed? Perhaps at startup you need to select the NYGM installation folder (GWX) in the settings.

I have it installed to F:\Silent Hunter 3 NYGM\SH3 Commander and F:\Silent Hunter 3 GWX\SH3 Commander

I don't see any options to change the installation folder though.

Anvar1061 08-08-19 12:53 PM

Good. I'm doing the same thing despite the fact that this is an independent program.. Nevertheless, when starting SH3Commander, go to the general settings and make sure that the correct game installation folder is selected.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...03&postcount=3

RevReese 08-08-19 01:48 PM

I'm an idiot.
I was using an old version from a backup, downloaded new version and all has become clear!
Thanks for the assist! :salute:

Anvar1061 08-09-19 05:06 AM

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/ima...n_Salute-1.gif