SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Tanksim.com (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   T34 vs Tiger- Kursk 1943 coming soon! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301)

Fighterace 09-07-10 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1486536)
That's great Dietger,
The $60.00 is for all finished work and 2010 membership in Project ZeeWolf
Until Jan. 31 2011. This is the first year of Project ZeeWolf and therefore
I have not had to consider late in the year memberships. So, if you would
like to join in Oct. I will give you a good deal that will include next year as
well so you will not feel like you will have to wait until next year to jump on board.:up:
As for your concerns with the Default T34 vs Tiger I will assure you that
my work has already changed T34vsTiger to the point of almost an entirely
new tank sim. And the stuff I am currently working on will be a major move
forward from there.
To fulfill my vision for Project ZeeWolf the work requires (at the least) three
more years in development phase. Please understand that my work on
T34 vs Tiger started a year and a half ago, and the place were at now was
a result of a major focus on learning HOW to do something IN TvsT. As of
now my focus can be on WHAT to put IN TvsT. Clearly a major shift in
production capability. Then after this development phase I can focus on
new missions, campaigns and theater of operations. Which could go on
year after year.

Cheers :salute:
ZeeWolf

Hey ZeeWolf. Ive made a donation for your mod. It looks the biz, cant wait to play it

tvt_addict 09-07-10 07:30 AM

Just in case anyone else hits problems with screen freezes and blackouts, there is a reason why this happens. The following was extracted from the Nvidia forum, but as you can see this applies to ATI cards as well. Having a low fps seems to be a liability!

Rob G

Just as a 'disclaimer' here, this thread is not for everyone to post their problems on... The purpose of this thread is to try and help you, but also to prevent multiple topics on the same subject. Lots of people have seen these errors, so hopefully this should help you understand exactly what it is before you post... I have seen and responded to a lot of TDR related topics now where people have not made the effort to do any prior searching... I class myself as guilty here also! The generic error people visit this forum for is:

'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and was recovered.'

Also seen as:
'Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and was recovered.' (ATI cards)
'Display driver xxxxxxxx stopped responding and was recovered.' (others)

Also noted as nvlddmkm.sys, atikmdag.sys, and xxxxxxxx.sys bug-check/BSOD.

As a first off, this is not an nVidia issue. It is not an ATI issue either. These errors are triggered by a Windows service called 'Timeout Detection and Recovery' (TDR). You will only see this error on Windows Vista and Windows 7, as TDR is a feature of the new WDDM driver model (implemented first in Vista). Its meant to be there to help stop BSOD's by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there is an issue. If the problem happens multiple times in a row, it can produce a BSOD.

The problem is normally perfectly solvable, but it can take some troubleshooting to do so. I personally have seen this issue on two separate nVidia builds, and an Intel onboard GPU.

How does TDR work?
Timeout Detection and Recovery
Windows Vista attempts to detect (these) problematic hang situations and recover a responsive desktop dynamically. In this process, the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver is reinitialized and the GPU is reset. No reboot is necessary, which greatly enhances the user experience. The only visible artifact from the hang detection to the recovery is a screen flicker, which results from resetting some portions of the graphics stack, causing a screen redraw. Some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of this recovery. The end user would have to restart these applications.

The following is a brief overview of the TDR process:

1. Timeout detection:
The Video Scheduler component of the Windows Vista graphics stack detects that the GPU is taking more than the permitted quantum time to execute the particular task and tries to preempt this particular task. The preempt operation has a "wait" timeout—the actual "TDR timeout." This step is thus the "timeout detection" phase of the process. The default timeout period in Windows Vista is 2 seconds. If the GPU cannot complete or preempt the current task within the TDR timeout, then the GPU is diagnosed as hung.

2. Preparation for recovery:
The operating system informs the WDDM driver that a timeout has been detected and it must reset the GPU. The driver is told to stop accessing memory and should not access hardware after this time. The operating system and the WDDM driver collect hardware and other state information that could be useful for post-mortem diagnosis.

3. Desktop recovery:
The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The Video Memory Manager component of the graphics stack purges all allocations from video memory. The WDDM driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As mentioned earlier, some older DirectX applications may now render just black, and the user may be required to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 applications that handle "Device Remove" continue to work correctly. The application must release and then recreate its Microsoft Direct3D device and all of its objects. DirectX application programmers can find more information in the Windows SDK.

The things that should be done to avoid it by our hardware/software providers:
Graphics hardware vendors:
• Ensure that graphics operations (that is, DMA buffer completion) take no more than 2 seconds in end-user scenarios such as productivity and gameplay.

Graphics software vendors:
• Ensure that the DirectX graphics application does not run at a low frames per second (FPS) rate. As the FPS decreases, the likelihood of the GPU getting reset increases. If the application is running at 10 FPS or lower and a complex graphics operation is about to start, then a flush can be inserted.
• For running benchmark tests on low-end GPUs, use the aforementioned registry keys that control the TDR timeout. Remember that they should not be used in production systems because it would affect overall system stability and robustness. Use these keys only as a final solution.

System manufacturers:
• Work with the graphics hardware vendor to diagnose the TDR debug reports.
• Remember that any system that uses the aforementioned TDR registry keys to change the default values is a Windows Logo Program violation.

Windows SP1 improved the accuracy, and reduced the frequency of these events:
Windows Vista SP1 Update
Minor changes were made in Windows Vista SP1 to improve the user experience in cases of frequent and rapidly occurring GPU hangs. Repetitive GPU hangs indicate that the graphics hardware has not recovered successfully. In these instances, the system must be shut down and restarted to fully reset the graphics hardware. If the operating system detects that six or more GPU hangs and subsequent recoveries occur within 1 minute, then the following GPU hang is treated as a system bug check.

It is possible to disable TDR, but it normally happens for a reason, therefore is not recommended nor supported. For more of the quoted jargon, see HERE.

Now you know what exactly the error is, you probably want to stop it happening. Now I wish there was a one-stop fix that I could recommend, but unfortunately, TDR events can be caused by many different problems.

Common issues that can cause a TDR:
- Bad memory
- Insufficient/problematic PSU
- Corrupt driver install
- Overheating
- Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU)
- Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB)
- Faulty graphics card
- Your asking too much of your graphics card. Not one that many people like to hear, but as the blurb from Microsoft states, if your game falls below a certain FPS and something graphically complex occurs, it could trigger a TDR.
- The issue can potentially be caused by a badly written driver or piece of software, but this is an unlikely cause in most cases.

Things to check first:
(Ideally, before you post a topic on a TDR problem, it would be useful to have completed the majority of these to ensure certain things can be ruled out.)
- Run memtest (memtest.org). This should complete with NO errors.
- Check your PSU ratings. Is it providing enough power, and most importantly enough Amps on the 12V rail.
- Check temperatures. Its important you check these at load, which is generally when a TDR event will occur. Everest Ultimate Edition is a good tool for this. If things are too hot, you can use tools such as EVGA Precision to increase GPU fan speeds on graphics cards. Cleaning your system of dust can help temperatures significantly. Common sense will normally tell you if something is too hot, but if you aren't sure, the information is generally available online.
- Test with stock clocks. This includes memory, CPU and GPU (even factory OC'd cards). Best to try each separately so you can be sure if one solves the issue.
- If you are using SLI, try each card separately to see if the fault lies with one.
- Try graphics card/cards in another computer if you can.
- Check for newer driver version.
- Check for patches to the specific game with issues.

Programs to use for stress testing CPU:
- Prime95 (would advise running for at least a few hours).
- Intel Burntest (warning, can cause significant heat!)

Programs to use for stress testing GPU:
- Furmark
- 3DMark Vantage
- Crysis!

ZeeWolf 09-07-10 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighterace (Post 1486974)
Hey ZeeWolf. Ive made a donation for your mod. It looks the biz, cant wait to play it

Hey Fighterace,:up:
I have not received notification yet, but when I do I will e-mail you a welcome
message that you must reply to before I send you your link and password.
So, it is important to use a good e-mail address when you use PayPal.

Welcome aboard mate!:salute:

ZW

Fighterace 09-08-10 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1487232)
Hey Fighterace,:up:
I have not received notification yet, but when I do I will e-mail you a welcome
message that you must reply to before I send you your link and password.
So, it is important to use a good e-mail address when you use PayPal.

Welcome aboard mate!:salute:

ZW

Thanks ZW :D

Dietger 09-08-10 05:00 AM

Hi Zeewolf,
little change in plans ,check your PM
there are 60$ heading your way mate!
:salute:

Dietger

ZeeWolf 09-08-10 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dietger (Post 1487742)
Hi Zeewolf,
little change in plans ,check your PM
there are 60$ heading your way mate!
:salute:

Dietger

Thats fantastic Kamerad Dietger! :up:

ZW

morttheslayer 09-08-10 03:09 PM

tvst addict

Hi Rob

I had a GPU overheating recently 9800GTX+, (some comments I made in thread - KC Good'ay to an old tanker). Simple for me fan had stopped working so all I had to do was get a good aftermarket fan assy - easy eh !!! Ah no !! :nope: but I did it eventually after some butchery. :D
Anyway to the point - your temps seem a little high over 60 deg C running - however I guess this can be possible. I reached 95 deg C when fan stopped - but happily got a warning so I could turn off programme and select V tune to monitor (I let GPU cool a bit before turning off). On start up after the replacement heatsink and fan change it was 38 deg C indicated; -- and under load (Op Flashpoint DR, IL2, SH/Wolves of the Pacific and tvst) reading on selection V tune 45 to 49 deg C.
So make of it what you may. I'm sure you can get a better HS and Fan for your GPU card and I would recommend this as a cost effective solution --- especially if you overclock.
Best of luck with it mate :salute:
Over and out - Morty

ZeeWolf 09-15-10 05:20 PM

I figured we had to have a Panzer II Ausf C :DL
I love this little tank, it turns out to be a mean little fire brand. It took awhile to figure out the how to get/make a 20mm cannon round work, but that is history now.
It is pure hell on vehicles and Anti-tank guns and jumps right in the fight.:up:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...ZW_PnzII_1.jpg

Vorwärts Kameraden!

ZW:salute:

Dietger 09-16-10 12:56 AM

Looking good Zeewolf!

I just managed to end the 1st mission successful. I had no luck head on thrue the asigned path, so I flanked west thrue the forstest and tried to move as fast as the Tiger could. Heading up the hills in the south to get better sight.
The last minutes were a shoot out between my Tiger and a PAK + 2 T34 at over 1200m! I got 4-5 hits below the Driver, none was penetrating the armour.

Do hit mark on tanks be were the bullest actuall hit the vehicle?

Regards Dietger :arrgh!:

ZeeWolf 09-16-10 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dietger (Post 1494481)
Looking good Zeewolf!

I just managed to end the 1st mission successful. I had no luck head on thrue the asigned path, so I flanked west thrue the forstest and tried to move as fast as the Tiger could. Heading up the hills in the south to get better sight.
The last minutes were a shoot out between my Tiger and a PAK + 2 T34 at over 1200m! I got 4-5 hits below the Driver, none was penetrating the armour.

Do hit mark on tanks be were the bullest actuall hit the vehicle?

Regards Dietger :arrgh!:

Thanks Dietger,

Yes the hit marks are accurate. The first Russian mission is hell to learn
that the Tigers are hard to kill. But like in the real Red Army they taught
you how to fire the main gun and hit a static target and you were certified
to tank on all the Tigers you wanted. :haha:
The German tankers however, were trained much more intensive and in
all kinds of conditions before the were sent out. :yep:
Hang in there though you will get better at visually judging distance and gain
the ability to fire faster with greater accuracy.

Cheers

ZW :salute:

frinik 09-16-10 03:59 AM

Optics

Great work Zee! Is it the Luchs version of the Panzer II C or simply the regular one? One vehicle that would be great to have is the Hetzer.A mean little tank destroyer , very efficient. Any plans to add it to your " production?

Re the German reticule. How in the game can you slide the grader to have the gun shooting at the exact distance that you need? I find this ability very useful in other games ( PE and SF)?

Cheers and bravo for the good work!

PS; I hope you were pulling Dietger's leg when you were talking about the Soviet tankers being trained more intensively than the German ones???:hmmm:

Cheers

Frinik

Knightspel 09-16-10 09:40 AM

Hello Zeewolf and others too! My first post here.
Usual story: I played TvsT when it was new and saw it has great potential wich sadly died with bankrupt...or so i thought until i saw this thread few days ago! After reading all (well, most at least) posts and testing free missions & stuff i must say your work with game is really fantastic Zeewolf! I will make donation but i must wait to my next "pay-day", yes i am really tight on money right now. Can't wait to drive new Tiger and Panther in future. Keep ut the awesome work!

Dietger 09-16-10 10:59 AM

Hello Tankers!

Welcome Knightspel! Im new here myself.
Zeewolf work got me to stay here. :DL Good to hear Zeewolf that the marks are actual hits and not just eye candy awesome! Looks like they wanted to kill the driver! :88) lol My aim needs some training, alright!
In the second mission I was racing the Tank near the second objective with some 40+Km/h downhil, when I suddenly saw 2 PAK right ahead very short distance too short for me to switch positions (main gun swivelled in wrong direction) , I decided to over run the PAK instead! as soon as I crashed into them mission ended with success!
Its a chame that there is no Multiplayer! Would love to fight some "real" T34 with good tankers.

ATTENTION TIGER!

Cheers Dietger

ZeeWolf 09-16-10 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinik (Post 1494520)
Great work Zee! Is it the Luchs version of the Panzer II C or simply the regular one? One vehicle that would be great to have is the Hetzer.A mean little tank destroyer , very efficient. Any plans to add it to your " production?

Re the German reticule. How in the game can you slide the grader to have the gun shooting at the exact distance that you need? I find this ability very useful in other games ( PE and SF)?

Cheers and bravo for the good work!

PS; I hope you were pulling Dietger's leg when you were talking about the Soviet tankers being trained more intensively than the German ones???:hmmm:

Cheers

Frinik

Thanks frinik, I had to edit my post to make it clear on the Germany tanker's issue :oops:.
As for the Gun sight reticule: That has been fixed in the June update
and was calibrated to the PzGr39-1 Round. So the PzGr39HL will go beyound
and the SprGr L-4.5 will fall short. The same would be true for the Soviet
Gun sight. The bp365a was the standard, and the bp365n (being the
fastest in meters per second) going beyond and o365 (High Explosive)
falling short.
As for the Hertzer: the Pnz 38 (t) will come first the the Hertzer. The
PanzerJagers will be coming in mid-1944. Of course that will include the
JagdPanther too :DL

Cheers

ZW

ZeeWolf 09-16-10 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightspel (Post 1494754)
Hello Zeewolf and others too! My first post here.
Usual story: I played TvsT when it was new and saw it has great potential wich sadly died with bankrupt...or so i thought until i saw this thread few days ago! After reading all (well, most at least) posts and testing free missions & stuff i must say your work with game is really fantastic Zeewolf! I will make donation but i must wait to my next "pay-day", yes i am really tight on money right now. Can't wait to drive new Tiger and Panther in future. Keep ut the awesome work!

Welcome aboard Knightspel :salute:

And thank you for the compliments :up: I understand fully about things being tight but praise god you have a pay-day!

Cheers :salute:

ZeeWolf

frinik 09-16-10 11:08 AM

Reticule

Sorry Master Zee I did not make myself clear! I meant is it possible by pressing a couple of keys to actually move the grid up and down depending on the distance of the target?In SF for example when using the reticule you can adjust the grid by pressing either the plus or minus keys until your gun is aimed at the chosen distance?????

MMMMM interesting menu of things to come!

Cheers:salute:

The Panzer II is not the Luchs version?

ZeeWolf 09-16-10 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinik (Post 1494832)
Sorry Master Zee I did not make myself clear! I meant is it possible by pressing a couple of keys to actually move the grid up and down depending on the distance of the target?In SF for example when using the reticule you can adjust the grid by pressing either the plus or minus keys until your gun is aimed at the chosen distance?????

MMMMM interesting menu of things to come!

Cheers:salute:

The Panzer II is not the Luchs version?

Oh! you can use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust you gun sight as well as
the Keypad 7 and Keypad 1.

As for the PnzII version it is not the luchs type, they came later and only
in small quantity. I would like to tackle the older versions that found there
way through a major portion of the war first - then the later stuff.

Cheers

frinik 09-16-10 11:41 AM

Panzer II

OH Great thanks Meister Zee! I was aiming and shooting with the naked eye all that time( not doing badly mind you, I have a pretty good eye for distances).I am going to try those keys!:yeah:

Re that Panzer II ausf C ,nice little bugger with that machine-gun like 20 mil gun but very vulnerable to medium and heavy Soviet tanks and AT guns even at short distances.Only 15 mm of frontal armour.Will it be eventually crewable ?

Indeed I am happy to see new people flocking to share the great news about the Reborn TvsT(How about renaming it Zee versus Zee ????:D)

:up:

ZeeWolf 09-16-10 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinik (Post 1494857)
OH Great thanks Meister Zee! I was aiming and shooting with the naked eye all that time( not doing badly mind you, I have a pretty good eye for distances).I am going to try those keys!:yeah:

Re that Panzer II ausf C ,nice little bugger with that machine-gun like 20 mil gun but very vulnerable to medium and heavy Soviet tanks and AT guns even at short distances.Only 15 mm of frontal armour.Will it be eventually crewable ?

Indeed I am happy to see new people flocking to share the great news about the Reborn TvsT(How about renaming it Zee versus Zee ????:D)

:up:

You will have much greater success using the Gun Sight now.
There was not a single tank in the German arsenal that wasn't obsolete
when facing the T34 or the KV Russian tanks. So yes the Pnz II Ausf C
is very vulnerable and always from day one on Russian soil. But they were
still used. I wanted them to protect truck convoys and accompany the Hanomag and the troopers. Generally to make the scene more realistic. :yep:

:DL

Txema 09-16-10 05:48 PM

Hi ZeeWolf,

How is the work progressing on this update? The use of LODs sounds really promissing to speed up the FPS of the simulation... Did the original game use them?

When are you planning to release this update??

I am really looking forward to testing it !!! :DL

Txema

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1466082)
Greetings Kameraden! :salute:
I have decided to finish the last modeling phase for all released and soon to be
released models prior to releasing any further updates. The last modeling
phase is known as "Level Of Detail" or LOD. This will be done by revisiting the
model and create the series of differing models to be seen at various distances.
Usually this is done to the model prior to it's release, but because
the first step I choose was to make certain all the high-resolution models all
worked well. And test the capacity of the game engine in the handling of such
a task. Now the with the use of the LOD's this will have a significant effect on
freeing up CPU and GPU resources, meaning: It will run faster. :know:
This process will take several more weeks before I will have something ready
for release. Of course I may surprise you with Kursk Mission 3 which is done
but with the new models that still need LOD's.

You will see that this extra time will be well spent and I promise not to disappoint you. :up:

Vorwärts Kameraden!

ZW :salute:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...TigerE1_13.jpg