SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 ATO Mods (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   [WIP] TMO: Nine Delta Two (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171443)

KING111 07-21-10 03:58 PM

thanks m8 downloading the mod now
here i go with another install of SH5:salute::salute::salute:

Ducimus 07-21-10 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Kyster (Post 1450069)
And the crew is ready for going south, I see! Perhaps I'll surprise them and make a raid to north of Iceland... :cool:
:

I did not add ATO harbor traffic except for a few, what i thought key, areas.

New york, Saint Helena, Freetown, Cape town, various ports in the gulf of mexico, tip of florida, curraco, and that major port in the northen part of south america who's names escape me atm. Their SE of curraco though. edit: Saint trinnidad?

EDIT:
Quote:

PS. Is this mod compatible with TMO 2.0?
No.
but i have thought of taking the key elements of it and rolling it into TMO 2.0 at a later date.

Gorshkov 07-21-10 04:34 PM

Flags of Bulgaria, Finland and Turkey (DDS files) are lacking. Yet I do not have clean SH4 installation...

Sailor Steve 07-21-10 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 1449876)
http://www.ducimus.net/sh415/ubm/preview_29.jpg
This should look familiar to many of you. Straight out of Sh3. Literally. Drag and drop, who would have thunk it. Nothing's ever that easy.

:o

Not me! Had no clue. But now I know what I'm going to be doing the next few days/week/months (whatever it takes).

Ducimus 07-21-10 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1450105)
:o

But now I know what I'm going to be doing the next few days/week/months (whatever it takes).

If you mean harbor traffic. You'll find two modlets in the documentation directory handy. One of which, ship speed, you most certainly need.

FYI i found out that harbor patrols scripted in as a random group, moving from way point to way point does not seem to render in game. I think you have to script them like was done in SH3. And yet harbor ships, scripted as a random group DO show up. I know I have a couple tin cans showing up that are staionary but not docked. Should come roaring up once they realize your there. :haha:

Sailor Steve 07-21-10 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 1450114)
If you mean harbor traffic. You'll find two modlets in the documentation directory handy. One of which, ship speed, you most certainly need.

Actually I was looking at the dockside people and thinking how much they add to the game. I have no idea how to "drag and drop" them, but I intend to find out.

Sailor Steve 07-21-10 07:04 PM

Well, once again I find myself totally lost. SH3 has those simple .lnd, .rnd and .scr files and opening them with the Mission Editor lets you look add ships to the harbors quite easily. SH4 has dozens of different files and I don't even know which ones to look in.

I do love the interior with the animated crew. Awesome feel it gives.

Ducimus 07-21-10 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1450140)
Actually I was looking at the dockside people and thinking how much they add to the game. I have no idea how to "drag and drop" them, but I intend to find out.

The characters in port reside in a dat file. The harbor files make reference calls to the characters in said dat file. All ubi did, was delete these same dat files from SH4. Soo. POOF, no more characters in port. But copy these dat files from SH3, back to SH4 (IE drag and drop), POOF, they appear again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1450196)
Well, once again I find myself totally lost. SH3 has those simple .lnd, .rnd and .scr files and opening them with the Mission Editor lets you look add ships to the harbors quite easily. SH4 has dozens of different files and I don't even know which ones to look in.

The easiest way to explain it is to take apart a campaign_RND.mis file in SH3 and examine it's contents. What exactly is, in this file?

Single merchants.
Merchant Convoys,
Troop convoys.
Task forces
Hunter kill groups.

And you have all of those, for the entire war, All located in one file. Go back and look at one of those files in sh3. Kinda cluttered isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice to just look at what you wanted to work on? Maybe even by year or time period? This is exactly what SH4 does. It seperates all those random group types, into their own file.

But if everything is in its own file, how does it all come together into a single file being read like in SH3's campaign_RND.mis?

campaign.cfg

This cfg file is what tells the game, what MIS files to load, and when. Go back and look at how the stock files for the fleet boat campaign are named. If you were to combine ALL the files named

Jap_merchant
Jap_Convoys,
Jap_Troop_convoys.
Jap_TaskForce

into one file, you'd have a campaign_RND.mis from SH3.

Now the thing here is the game only loads the files as it needs them by date. If its Jan 1943, the game will only load the files for that year. It does not load all the traffic for the entire war at once. This is one reason why SH4 loads much quicker then SH3.

The beauty of this if you want to add jap subs, just write their own layer, and make the campaign.cfg entry. Bingo. done. game loads it in the years specified. quick and clean.

Reece 07-21-10 08:54 PM

Hi Ducimus, this is great news, however I am having really bad dropouts over the last week, not getting much help from ISP etc, I will try and get my son to download it, the dropouts are minutes apart and can stay off for several minutes, needless to say I haven't been online much.:cry: Good luck and thanks for your hard work, the mod so far looks awesome.:yeah:

Sailor Steve 07-21-10 09:53 PM

@ Ducimus: Thanks for the explanations. I've copied your post to Notepad so I can read it while I'm experimenting. I feel like a total idiot, but I'll get it, and then watch out! :smug:

Ducimus 07-22-10 12:21 PM

updated first post with D/L link, credits, and the usual mumbo jumbo.

Madox58 07-22-10 12:33 PM

Downloading now.
:up:

SH4 runs painfully slow for me but what the heck.
I can't run SH5 at all!
:haha:

WarlordATF 07-22-10 01:45 PM

Great Job! I love how you did the interior, Nice to have all the extra space to move around in during those long patrols. I have only just started exploring this mod, but i can tell already that its going to be alot of fun! I still love my Fleetboat, but now i'm enjoying the game from another prospective.

Thanks! :salute:

Sailor Steve 07-22-10 02:13 PM

Well, I'm learning something at least. Ducimus, I love what you've done with the boat, but I also love to play with the other boats, and the earlier periods. Soooo, I put your mod into JSGME, and I took it out again and pulled a couple of folders out of it, and a couple more, and put one back in, and so on and so forth. My biggest shock was when I got to the point where I could load up a Type II in 1939, but there was no crew!
:rotfl2:

Soooo, I fiddled some more, and you made my day! I didn't realize that when you fixed the band and the dockside cheerleaders, you meant you fixed them all with one fell swoop! I was thinking I would have to learn how to do it for all the other ports, but no, your knowledge and skill saved me some real work, I guess.

Here's Kiel, 1939.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...124001_578.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...124143_859.jpg

Oh, I do have one question: I looked at the Ge Harbor Traffic file, and it does seem to be pretty much identical to the SH3 SCR layer. One problem though - there are no docks! I see the ships Lurker placed, but I don't see how he did it without being able to see the docks as a reference point.

Maybe I should be asking him this. :88)

Gorshkov 07-22-10 03:00 PM

Sailor Steve: Do above screen-shots come from OM with some Duci's files from 9d2 Beta mod?

PS. Today Filefront is down once again... :(