SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   [UNCOVERED] SH5 officially left for dead! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172577)

urfisch 07-19-10 11:41 AM

[UNCOVERED] SH5 officially left for dead!

As the new ComDev stated and elenaiba confirmed, there is no more team working on a patch for SH5. Both call the community to get hand on mods, to enhance the game. There is no patch planned "so far". Seems, as if our badest exspectations become true...

BAAM, there it is. The truth, directly in your face.

:o

:nope:

Let me finish this and say it like Michael did:

(SH5) This is it.

Arclight 07-19-10 11:48 AM

And this is news how? Think most already knew there's no team assigned to SH5.

Doesn't mean that won't change in the future.

aergistal 07-19-10 12:10 PM

The news is SH5 is now like Schrödinger's cat. It is both alive and dead until proven one way or another. It's statements like Ubisoft's that make the universe branch :DL

Takeda Shingen 07-19-10 12:36 PM

Old news.

karamazovnew 07-19-10 12:37 PM

I wouldn't go scaring children like that :-?

Truth is, I've seen lots of buggy games cut from patch support. And I still can't forgive Ubi for not patching the spawning road blocks in Far Cry 2. Then there's Sh4 UBM with a buggy notepad and stadimeter, easy things to fix by the devs, but which were never fixed.

However, with all the "Silent Hunter is dead" threads and most modders jumping overboard or simply waiting for the next patch, Ubi's notorious "case closed" policy seems a bit more expected. That must be why Elanaiba and Sorlim urge us to continue to mod the game. With a bit more support from us and a more clear view of the bugs, they might persuade the suits to release another patch.

And, on the bright side, progress with SH5 mods has been stunning so far. I'm beginning to subscribe to the opinion that one year from now, SH5 will be
better than all previous titles (with mods ofc).

Webster 07-19-10 12:42 PM

i think guys are just searching for some direct quote somewhere saying "i am official ubi spokesman and we will never fix sh5 and thats it"

its obvious to anyone who looks at it without the rose colored glasses that they are done with sh5 and what we have is all we will ever get but they will never admit that to the public (its just bad for buisness to admit it)

hoping for another patch is like hoping to win the lottery, we try to convince ourselves it could happen because there is a 0.00001% chance it might

SteelViking 07-19-10 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karamazovnew (Post 1448348)
I wouldn't go scaring children like that :-?

Truth is, I've seen lots of buggy games cut from patch support. And I still can't forgive Ubi for not patching the spawning road blocks in Far Cry 2. Then there's Sh4 UBM with a buggy notepad and stadimeter, easy things to fix by the devs, but which were never fixed.

However, with all the "Silent Hunter is dead" threads and most modders jumping overboard or simply waiting for the next patch, Ubi's notorious "case closed" policy seems a bit more expected. That must be why Elanaiba and Sorlim urge us to continue to mod the game. With a bit more support from us and a more clear view of the bugs, they might persuade the suits to release another patch.

And, on the bright side, progress with SH5 mods has been stunning so far. I'm beginning to subscribe to the opinion that one year from now, SH5 will be
better than all previous titles (with mods ofc).

Aye its true. The advancements made over the past couple weeks have been incredible. People just need to be a little more patient though, as some of them are still behind the scenes and need to be perfected.

Webster 07-19-10 12:54 PM

after re-reading my comment i feel its important to add this:

sh5 will be a great game at some point even without ubi being involved in it anymore.

IMO it is the modders who made ubi games great and sh5 will be fixed by modders so its only a matter of giving them time.

in a year or two i think there will be a few mega mod choices that resolve "most" issues with the game and while there will still be major bugs and glitches due to ubi's unfinished work, the mods will make the rest good enough to overlook them.

janh 07-19-10 01:10 PM

only the future will tell, but the latest signs showed at least a glimmer of hope... So patience will be required, as usual.

Bubblehead1980 07-19-10 02:40 PM

Well if they are finished patching it, then they need to release one thing, a fix for DRM so can play the game offline and lets the mods(who do better work anyway) have at it.

DavyJonesFootlocker 07-19-10 03:31 PM

So, lemmie get this straight. They released a half-baked sim and patches you can count on one hand and they abandoned it? And to think I paid money for it. I'm calling my lawyers.:D:D

Onkel Neal 07-19-10 03:52 PM

SH5: Released to soon, killed by the "fans".

wingcom 07-19-10 04:01 PM

the real problem is gonna be a year from now when they decide the DRM servers are taking up too much space for so few players. then asta la vista online baby. Hello dark side.

Takeda Shingen 07-19-10 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingcom (Post 1448528)
the real problem is gonna be a year from now when they decide the DRM servers are taking up too much space for so few players. then asta la vista online baby. Hello dark side.

No, it has been repeatedly stated that the game will be patched to allow offline play should the online servers be discontinued. Nothing to worry about in that case.

MGR1 07-19-10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen (Post 1448532)
No, it has been repeatedly stated that the game will be patched to allow offline play should the online servers be discontinued. Nothing to worry about in that case.

That, unfortunately, is when I'm likely to buy it. :down: If it wasn't for a "certain issue" I'd have bought it by now.

A pity, as it looks as though it'll be a fine U-Boat sim once the modders have given it a thorough makeover.:up:

Mike.:)

krashkart 07-19-10 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1448521)

So it would seem.

THE_MASK 07-19-10 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1448521)

The truest statement ever on subsim . However modding and sales might bring back the dead in the future .

jdkbph 07-19-10 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelViking (Post 1448360)
Aye its true. The advancements made over the past couple weeks have been incredible. People just need to be a little more patient though, as some of them are still behind the scenes and need to be perfected.

You know, I really appreciate the efforts made by the talented folks in this community. Most of the mods are very good - as good as we've seen from the professional devs - and some of them far surpass anything we've seen form the professionals.

My concern with SH5 is not about what can be done by modders, but what can't be done. If there are significant issues with SH5 that simply can't be fixed due to lack of access (legally or technically) to the affected files and code, then I would guess most of the modders will be asking themselves "what's the point?".

Some of these significant issues that no one (to my knowledge) has touched yet are:

• Extending the campaign to 1945, which would necessarily require development or activation of the relevant techology, platforms and AI.
  • Building and importing new platforms, such as more merchant types (what do we have now... 4?)
  • Rewriting the campaign to remove the mission, target and tonnage based objectives, and restore the free flowing patrol based campaigns of SH3 and SH4.
  • AI that behaves in a reasonably believable manner.
  • Etc.
If that stuff can't be fixed, I'm never going to play it... no matter how good the water and sky look or how great the latest interface is (with apologies to those working on interfaces and environment).

JD

SteelViking 07-19-10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkbph (Post 1448570)
You know, I really appreciate the efforts made by the talented folks in this community. Most of the mods are very good - as good as we've seen from the professional devs - and some of them far surpass anything we've seen form the professionals.

My concern with SH5 is not about what can be done by modders, but what can't be done. If there are significant issues with SH5 that simply can't be fixed due to lack of access (legally or technically) to the affected files and code, then I would guess most of the modders will be asking themselves "what's the point?".

Some of these significant issues that no one (to my knowledge) has touched yet are:

• Extending the campaign to 1945, which would necessarily require development or activation of the relevant techology, platforms and AI.
  • Building and importing new platforms, such as more merchant types (what do we have now... 4?)
  • Rewriting the campaign to remove the mission, target and tonnage based objectives, and restore the free flowing patrol based campaigns of SH3 and SH4.
  • AI that behaves in a reasonably believable manner.
  • Etc.
If that stuff can't be fixed, I'm never going to play it... no matter how good the water and sky look or how great the latest interface is (with apologies to those working on interfaces and environment).

JD

Well, the AI has essentially been fixed by TDW. He has already completely redone the AI for ships and planes, and he is currently working on redoing the AI subs. However, the rest of the problems you outlined are currently untouched, and they are definitely among my list of problems with the game as well.

What is the word on editing the campaign? I hate to say it, but I am out of the loop on that one.

THE_MASK 07-19-10 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkbph (Post 1448570)

JD

SH5 already has the boring go to patrol area , exactly the same as SH3/4 . What it also has is a fun and challenging dynamic campaign with dynamic objectives . There is no way i would ever go back to the boring patrol here only like in SH3/4 .