SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Destroyer - The U-Boat Hunter (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=324)
-   -   Demo gameplay + commentary (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249776)

Onkel Neal 06-23-21 08:57 AM

Demo gameplay + commentary

https://youtu.be/0i4wqucuHkQ

cbrown1790 06-23-21 01:57 PM

That demo looks AWESOME!!!

Can't wait until it's released.

Great Job!!

Bubblehead1980 06-23-21 04:45 PM

Looks great, excited for this. One thing is hope will change the robotic sounds crew voice, its annoying and immersion killer, a more natural speaking voice would work better. Hope the arcade like gunsights in turret can be disabled. Otherwise, looks great.

les green01 06-23-21 09:21 PM

it looks ok but the gunsights and voice

Artur Salwarowski 06-24-21 03:29 AM

Hi there,

the gunsights are already optionally automated and you can aim by radar. As for the crew voices, you can turn them down (music, sound fx, and speech all have separate sliders for volume control).

mapuc 06-24-21 09:40 AM

Can't wait for its release.

I hope that, after this game has been patched due to some errors the dev team will create an addon-which is subs.

Markus

PurpleCow 06-24-21 12:24 PM

I thought the demo was going to be released in June. Is this still the plan?

Sonarman 06-24-21 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleCow (Post 2754349)
I thought the demo was going to be released in June. Is this still the plan?

That was the original plan and the demo was ready for the Steam Next Fest but the publisher/investor decided that the devteam ( Iron Wolf Studio) should postpone the demo’s release as it was deemed too complex for the average user. The devteam now plan to release an amended demo in Oct witn full tutorials and DW style AI assistants that you can turn on and off to adjust the difficulty. The team are determined that the game will not be dumbed down.

PL_Andrev 06-25-21 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonarman (Post 2754416)
The team are determined that the game will not be dumbed down.

Hope so. but missed co-op with subs here.
But looks like my DC game memories , when fight agains colleagues played SH2. Beauty... and dangerous.
But I miss hunting real players... this is what I'm really waiting for.

Pelle71 06-27-21 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artur Salwarowski (Post 2754258)
Hi there,

the gunsights are already optionally automated and you can aim by radar. As for the crew voices, you can turn them down (music, sound fx, and speech all have separate sliders for volume control).

Make a dynamic campaign, is it just a skript driving game, i'm out.

Sean C 06-27-21 05:46 AM

If you keep at least as much manual control as in the video above as an option, I will buy it.

Lanzfeld 07-09-21 09:05 AM

I just downloaded it and played really quick and it looks promising. Keep in mind the sonar diagram is NOT relative to your ship but it’s actually on true north. So if you have the submarine off of your nose it’s not necessarily straight up on the sonar diagram. It’s a little confusing.

So far I like it but it seems like the submarines are super aggressive. In real life they would be trying to hide from the destroyer but in the simulation so far they press the attack on the convoy while you are actively pursuing them. Maybe this can be an adjustable realism setting?

Artur Salwarowski 07-09-21 10:46 AM

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Yes, the current AI is slightly on the agressive side, because of some issues that we have encountered in mid-development of the demo.

When we first implemented the AI, it had more maneuvering variety and the agression level was more or less what we wanted. However, as development progressed, certain issues popped up which made it difficult for the U-boat to re-engage the convoy once you pressed it hard enough. It often happened that the U-boat was unable to get a decent shot even if you didn't really pursue it, and it seemed wrong not to have a challange, or at least some pressure - the game got boring if there was no feel of immediate danger ;)

However, in the full game we will have multiple U-boats, and they will have 'levels of temperament'. There will be Kaleuns who attack agressively, and those who will lie in wait and make various confusing maneuvers.

In general, the AI is far from ready, so don't worry - it will be much better once we finish.

Lanzfeld 07-09-21 12:24 PM

Killed the sub. Don’t know how to post pictures here.

Artur Salwarowski 07-09-21 12:27 PM

Wow, that's quick :Kaleun_Applaud::Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

I thought it would take you a little longer till the first kill, but cheers! :Kaleun_Cheers: