SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Cold Waters, Wolfpack, Silent Hunter III, Silent Hunter IV what to pick? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=241290)

FrenzyBread 05-23-19 07:18 AM

Cold Waters, Wolfpack, Silent Hunter III, Silent Hunter IV what to pick?

Heyo, I’m quite new and never really played a subsim, I want it to not be really complex and for there to be mods that include modern subs, campaigns, missions and mods that could maybe enhance the game graphics wise for older games like SH III, IV, and for the game not to be just focused on crew and for the crew to be on the easier side of things to manage, Thank you.

o7

Catfish 05-23-19 07:31 AM

1st welcome FrenzyBread :)

It depends on which time or era interests you most.
Wolfpack and SH3 is World war 2 in german U-boats, SH 4 is World War 2 in US submarines (though there is a mod converting it for german U-boats), while Cold waters plays during the 'Cold war' times post 1945.

Wolfpack is about online playing together in a boat or several, though it is also possible alone. Crew management is there in SH3 and a bit more in SH4, but you can switch it to pretty easy mode to escape micro-managing or entirely stop it with certain mods.
Have not played Cold waters yet but i guess there is almost no crew managing (? not sure).

There are mods for modern subs fo SH3 and 4, but when you atre interested in modern subs i would go for "Cold waters", or "Dangerous waters". Lots of missions there..

There will sure be others with (better) hints, have fun! :up:

FrenzyBread 05-23-19 07:35 AM

So now the real question is, SH 3 or SH4?

Catfish 05-23-19 07:40 AM

SH3 and SH4 both should not be a problem on Windows 10 machines, but you may need to run it off 'Steam' due to the original DRM 'protection' on the older DVDs.

SH 3 has lots of mods, as has SH4. SH4 is a bit better graphics-wise.

Regarding tweaking those to modern/post '45 submarines someone else should chime in :hmmm:

FrenzyBread 05-23-19 07:49 AM

Alright thanks, gonna wait for more replies

o7

Onkel Neal 05-23-19 08:46 AM

Don't overlook Crash Dive

Mr Quatro 05-23-19 10:13 AM

SH4 is a better game to me, but I love the history too, plus I started out on the first Silent Hunter and was comfortable with the time table, time frame, accuracy of the modeling ...

One thing all subsim players need or will develop is patience :yep:

Aktungbby 05-23-19 10:51 AM

Welcome aboard!

FrenzyBread!:Kaleun_Salute:

FrenzyBread 05-23-19 02:39 PM

Alright, I’ll try to pick up SH4 soon, thanks!!

Commander Wallace 05-25-19 09:42 AM

Welcome to Subsim. :sunny: I hope you enjoy your time here.

SH3 with GWX 3.0 or other add on's help to make SH3 as viable as it is, many years after it's initial introduction.

SH4 not only has the U.S forces against the Japanese but the gold version also includes U-boat missions in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. SH5 with add on's and the glitches repaired, is a good simulation as well.

There are others like cold waters as well. The good news is that you don't have to choose one over the other. Try them out and see which you like better or add them all.

Have fun and enjoy your simulations.

Sailor Steve 05-25-19 10:18 AM

There's not much more I can add. All of these older games are so cheap these days that there's not much reason not to try several and see which one appeals to you the most. There is such a rich history here, not only of the boats but of the games themselves. Every game has been seasoned with a choice of supermods, which allow you to just have one big add-on that fixes most of the problems, plus myriad smaller mods that allow you to do almost anything you can imagine.

Someone else already said it, but it's true. The thing you need most is patience.

Welcome aboard and best of luck.