SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   DW Mission Designers' Forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Crimson Dawn (WIP) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242664)

Wolfcat 09-30-19 11:29 AM

Crimson Dawn (WIP)

Hi, I am working a new RA based campaign that is based on current world events and use more modern equipment (such as VA class subs, Chinese Type 054A etc).
Just some background story:
The main character is the skipper for USS Virginia. It will take the player through Syrian civil war, War on ISIL, then goes on to a hypothetical war with China in Taiwan strait and an assistance campaign to Russian to help it squash an ultra-nationalist rebellion. I am planning for a series of 20 missions.

I currently have the first 2 missions 80% done (a tiny step but more are coming:)). Just need some help with using triggers and scripts in the mission editor.

Wolfcat 09-30-19 11:36 AM

Mission 1: You just take command of SSN774. You are ordered to get underway and transit out Norfolk naval base. Half way through, you will receive an order for a rendezvous with a hovering helo to take on an important personnel.

Issue:
1. I created a destination event trigger to spawn the helo at Norfolk (this part is working cuz the incoming radio message is fine and helo spawned correctly)
2. The helo will fly two waypoints. At the 2nd waypoint, it will run a script to make it hovering at 80ft at designated location (this is working perfectly as well)
3. The helo has an attached "approach" trigger that says if the sub is within 0.04nmi of the helo, it will triggered and hovering script will be canceled and helo can head back home. (for some reason I cannot get this approach trigger to fire).

I change the distance requirement but nothing works.

Can someone give me some tips?

Thanks

p7p8 09-30-19 11:45 AM

Only 20 missions? Why not 120? :D

Ok. stop joking. Im sure you should start from single player missions - you can always merge it in campaign. 20 missions is huge number of scenarios to make!
Its not so easy to make interesting scenarios in later stage of campaign. Usually first missions are boring "spying type" and easy to making in editor.

My suggestions:
I would like to see hard combat in first mission - of course with good backround as text in briefing. Second mission should be more tougher - for example trying to reorganize allied forces after defeated battle. Third mission should be preparation for counterattack - for example by gathering informations (not as always in first mission) and last one should be decissive battle. No need to make 20 missions where half of it are boring pretending whole in the water.

Btw if you release missions from campaign as single one, players will give you feedback or suggestions - thing very important for your motivation!

Please to reconsider your idea for campaign :)

edit:

Can you show your approach trigger?

Wolfcat 10-01-19 12:26 PM

Point well taken about the length of the series. The number of missions is flexible. I am currently making single missions first then merge them into a campaign once everything is vetted out. However, I would appreciate it more if people can help me with solving some technical issues such as the problems I mentioned earlier. I am sure there are many people who know missions editor better than me.

p7p8 10-01-19 12:35 PM

I can help you with technical problems.

Btw approach trigger works after puting it into dynamic group (with helo)?

Stewy1 10-01-19 09:25 PM

Quote:

Syrian civil war, War on ISIL, then goes on to a hypothetical war with China in Taiwan strait and an assistance campaign to Russian to help it squash an ultra-nationalist rebellion.
You're more than welcome to use/modify my maps that I've made. I've done maps of all of those places (and many more)

I also have a Kamchatka map that's ready to go too!

They're in the downloads section if you're interested! :up:
Stew

Wolfcat 10-02-19 01:01 PM

Finally got the helo script working. Now I can rendezvous with the helo and after that it can cruise back to its base on its own. :Kaleun_Cheers: Mission 1 is pretty much done. I am on mission 2: operation green meadow-a training exercise in Caribbeans. You basically need travel through 3 different training circles:
1. In the 1st circle you need do max speed test, diving depth test and blow surfacing test. I can do depth test no problem. But how do I create a trigger that tests whether the ship reaches max speed? Also how do I trigger blow surfacing?

2. Circle 2 is a live fire training against a decommissioned Sprunance class destoryer. How do I make the AI not shoot back at me? Because my story plot is about training. The target is not supposed to shoot back at me.

p7p8 10-02-19 05:03 PM

Quote:

mission 2: operation green meadow-a training exercise in Caribbeans. You basically need travel through 3 different training circles:
Please no! :wah:
DW is old game and most of players play this game more than 2-5 years. Missions with speed/dive etc testing are worst one because they are completly boring.
90% of DW players played this kind of missions - trust me - its not funny experience.

Quote:

But how do I create a trigger that tests whether the ship reaches max speed?
You need 2 triggers:
- first could be destination type with max speed = max -1
(for example LA max speed = 32 kts; max - 1 kts = 31kts)
- second should be automatic with Use Doctrine Language -> FirstFailedCriteria and select first trigger
So if player exceed 31kts, second trigger will fire

I didn't test it because its late but it should work.

Quote:

Also how do I trigger blow surfacing?
Set Depth on first page of trigger to lowest value +1
(for example LA minimum depth is 31 ft so set 32 ft)

2 You can set Spruance as differend side and make this side in alliance with your (player) side. I think it should work.
You can also check making Spruance "neutral".

Also you can change Spruance to "shipwreck" - i think it will be also interesting. Shipwreck is in sub category -> civilian -> shipwrecks and set shallow depth - wreck will be partially above surface

Wolfcat 10-02-19 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p7p8 (Post 2630417)
Please no! :wah:
DW is old game and most of players play this game more than 2-5 years. Missions with speed/dive etc testing are worst one because they are completly boring.
90% of DW players played this kind of missions - trust me - its not funny experience.

You need 2 triggers:
- first could be destination type with max speed = max -1
(for example LA max speed = 32 kts; max - 1 kts = 31kts)
- second should be automatic with Use Doctrine Language -> FirstFailedCriteria and select first trigger
So if player exceed 31kts, second trigger will fire

I didn't test it because its late but it should work.

Set Depth on first page of trigger to lowest value +1
(for example LA minimum depth is 31 ft so set 32 ft)

2 You can set Spruance as differend side and make this side in alliance with your (player) side. I think it should work.
You can also check making Spruance "neutral".

Also you can change Spruance to "shipwreck" - i think it will be also interesting. Shipwreck is in sub category -> civilian -> shipwrecks and set shallow depth - wreck will be partially above surface

Some great suggestions. I'll put them to work. Don't be discouraged by "training". I promise it's gonna be fun cuz you not only get to shoot stuff but also after you complete the 3 circles you get tasking for a special mission which I am gonna keep it secret for now. :O: Just start mission 3 about a patrol that leads to a real life event: cruise missile strike on Shayrat, Syria. I know USS Ross did it in real life, but here I am gonna give this honor to USS Virginia. :O:

Wolfcat 10-02-19 11:29 PM

depth test and blow surfacing tests are good, but speed test is not getting triggered somehow.

FPSchazly 10-03-19 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2630440)
Don't be discouraged by "training". I promise it's gonna be fun cuz you not only get to shoot stuff but also after you complete the 3 circles you get tasking for a special mission which I am gonna keep it secret for now. :O:

Make the missions you wanna make! :up: But, I will agree that the sneaky, stalkery type missions that are very captivating to read about in books don't really translate to a video game like Dangerous Waters.

p7p8 10-03-19 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2630448)
depth test and blow surfacing tests are good, but speed test is not getting triggered somehow.

Sorry, I forgot about 1 important step (it was too late when i replied your post)

If you use FirstFailedCriteria you have to set duration in previous trigger (selected by FirstFailedCriteriatrigger)

Video from test

https://youtu.be/isCEq4DXPyo

(link to test scenario is in video description)

:salute:

Wolfcat 10-03-19 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPSchazly (Post 2630506)
Make the missions you wanna make! :up: But, I will agree that the sneaky, stalkery type missions that are very captivating to read about in books don't really translate to a video game like Dangerous Waters.

I hear you. I am in your camp. Sneaky stalkery is for the cold war. We are in 21th century. Trust me. There will be a lot of things for you to shoot at and blow up. I am planning to have a bit of unrestricted sub warfare against China as the regional war intensifies. :O:

Wolfcat 10-03-19 09:58 AM

@p7p9. Really thanks to your tips. Helps tremendously. Btw, can I use refire instead of duration? Or it's a bad choice here.

Wolfcat 10-03-19 02:43 PM

I played mission 2 last night. I wasn't careful and went below the crushing depth, LOL.:haha: