SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Need some help locating convoys (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240406)

Easy_Eight65 03-24-19 02:49 PM

Need some help locating convoys

Reposting here from the Wolfpack Discord channel:

I have not been able to find a single convoy. As soon as I start the game, I turn off the engines, drop to 25m, get on the hydro and listen for screws...which are always heard in a different location than the direction of my assigned patrol grid. Feel like I'm chasing my tail here. So what's the deal? Go to my patrol grid FIRST, or go in the direction my hydrophone says there are ships?

Pisces 03-24-19 03:04 PM

Sink them wherever you can. In real life they were supposed to take every opportunity they get to sink merchants. So no need to go to your patrol grid if they are within hearing distance. (Just make sure they are foe, not friends) Once you mopped them up, then you are free to search wherever you want. ;)

Onkel Neal 03-24-19 03:44 PM

You're in the patrol zone when the mission starts. Dive to 20m and listen, then surface and flank speed in that direction.

Easy_Eight65 03-24-19 07:41 PM

Haha...that's exactly what I've been doing. It's like a ghost convoy -- I can hear it, but can't put eyes on to save my life. Wondering if there's a glitch with the private lobby? (yes, I've been doing solo patrols to better acquaint myself will all the controls)...or distance rendering? At my wit's end here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2599099)
You're in the patrol zone when the mission starts. Dive to 20m and listen, then surface and flank speed in that direction.

Pisces 03-24-19 07:43 PM

Might just be heavy fog. Once it clears be ready to stop quickly.

Jonas Grumby 03-24-19 09:03 PM

From the mission start I've found a convoy is ALWAYS out there, either visible or within hearing range.
I use the May or June 1940 Bay of Biscay mission. You will start out right around sunrise most times when you select this mission. If not, I've found going out to the lobby and starting another game is will change the time to something you are looking for. I prefer day myself while familiarizing myself.

When you first start, go to bridge or (I use) the obversation scope and check the horizon. If they aren't visible just dive and listen.
The buttons on the hydrophones on the left side are not really needed.
Turn the gain all the way up then sweep for sound. The high gain will give you mucho distortion. Point at the ships and reduce gain till the distortion just fades and you can hear prop beats clearly. Now sweep again in both directions till you hear distortion. Again, turn the gain down till the distortion fades and the props are audible. Repeat till a sweep across all the ships is clear of distortion and the loudest sound is the bearing you need to steer to.
Once you steer and listen and have your the convoy dead ahead, just surface and go full speed ahead with all tanks bone dry. You'll see them eventually.
The bridge and binoculars is in my opinion the best way to do the visual search. Once you sight them in daylight, I'd stay very far away if I were you.
I've found once the ships are visible it is almost no time before they start firing on you if you stay surfaced.

Pisces 03-26-19 07:09 AM

That last reason is why I suggest to keep the negative tank flooded on the surface. If you must submerge quickly, then you will. With an empty negative tank going at max speed you might just end up in plain sight of a warship and going below takes ages still.

When contact is made, react immediately with slowing down and try to match their course. Then your relative motion reduces to almost nothing and you can observe the convoy with a bit more peace. Best is to follow merchants, their course and speed is usually steady. Warships tend to wander about searching. So be on the lookout in case one gets too close.

Onkel Neal 03-26-19 09:40 AM

Agreed, Pieces, but remember to blow the negative tank once you reach Periscope depth.

Pisces 03-26-19 09:51 AM

Yes, (sort of maybe implied) :D