SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REQ] Depth Charge Damage Texture! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115687)

ReallyDedPoet 05-29-07 01:01 PM

[REQ] Depth Charge Damage Texture!

Not sure if this can be done:hmm: Just do not like the current textures from DC attacks, they are basically the same as the torpedoe damage textures. I have seen some nice pictures of what I am talking about for U-Boats, but can't come across them now.

If someone can post a pic of one great, either of a U-Boat or Fleet Submarine that shows the results of an attack. The picture I recall was of a U-Boat in Dry Dock.

Be nice to have a " dented\caved in look ", as compared to a gaping hole.

Edit: Even the GWX one would be better, as it gives a charred\blackened look as compared to SH4. Could that mod ( with permission ) be converted to SH4?

RDP

ReallyDedPoet 05-29-07 04:38 PM

One more time :88)

RDP

theluckyone17 05-29-07 09:21 PM

Does SH4 differentiate between torpedo and DC hits, graphic-wise?

tater 05-29-07 10:20 PM

I doubt it, though in another thread I think I saw that by decreasing the radius of a torpedo explosion---even if the magnitude of the blast force was increased---decreased the hole rendered.

In that case it might well be possible by having one kind of hole appear with a certain radius blast, and assign that radius to the type of weapon that makes that damage.

Really, for a sub, it doesn't matter. If you torpedo yourself, you are sinking, looking at the hole is not really an issue aside from trying to swim out of it ;)

Pretty much by definition any hole you'd actually get to look at in RL would be one that dented the hull instead of makign a big hole. So for the sub damage states, I'd simply replace the bomb-like damage markers with dented hull, and leave the holes for gun hits. Any bomb or DC that holed the sub like we see in game would have sunk the boat.

ReallyDedPoet 05-30-07 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckyone17
Does SH4 differentiate between torpedo and DC hits, graphic-wise?

That is a good question :roll:, was thinking the same thing myself when I posted this. I am not a rivet counter, but still would like to see a different texture for this.

Like the torpedo one as mentioned, but a gaping hole(s) on a still functional sub just doesn't look right. I wish I could find that pic that shows a damaged sub from a depth charge:hmm:

Thanks for the responses.

RDP

ReallyDedPoet 05-30-07 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tater
I
Pretty much by definition any hole you'd actually get to look at in RL would be one that dented the hull instead of makign a big hole. So for the sub damage states, I'd simply replace the bomb-like damage markers with dented hull, and leave the holes for gun hits. Any bomb or DC that holed the sub like we see in game would have sunk the boat.

My thoughts exactly :roll: . Even if the DC Damage was similar to the one in SH3 GWX.

RDP

ReallyDedPoet 05-31-07 08:24 AM

http://www.bignotion.co.uk/%7Ekemble/u534/uboat41.jpg
Depth charge damage causing buckled plates

http://www.bignotion.co.uk/%7Ekemble/u534/uboat31.jpg
http://www.bignotion.co.uk/%7Ekemble/u534/usub1.jpg

The three above from this site:
http://www.bignotion.co.uk/~kemble/uboat534.html

Finally found these:rock: Yes it is a U-Boat, but you get the idea. This is the kind :roll: of damage that I would like to see from DCs.

Anybody?

RDP

ReallyDedPoet 05-31-07 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reallydedpoet
Not sure if this can be done:hmm: Just do not like the current textures from DC attacks, they are basically the same as the torpedoe damage textures. I have seen some nice pictures of what I am talking about for U-Boats, but can't come across them now.

If someone can post a pic of one great, either of a U-Boat or Fleet Submarine that shows the results of an attack. The picture I recall was of a U-Boat in Dry Dock.

Be nice to have a " dented\caved in look ", as compared to a gaping hole.

Edit: Even the GWX one would be better, as it gives a charred\blackened look as compared to SH4. Could that mod ( with permission ) be converted to SH4?

RDP

Last time I promise :yep:, but being a little persistent here, this is what
I am looking for :roll: The post before this has the pictures as far as the look as compared to damage textures currently in SH4 for DC attacks.

Again last time, promise

RDP

ATR-42 05-31-07 06:22 PM

I dont object to holes in ships, from torpedo hits, but the sub? its a stretch.
Skin deformation or dents would be much more realistic than the giant gaping holes we peer into from external views after hits, its just not real!

you guys are onto something, but i bet its not going to be easy.

tater 05-31-07 06:30 PM

It might just show the same damage templates on all hulls based on the damage.

Making no damage (other than sinks the boat damage) might be possible.

Altering the template (assuming they all show the same, ship and sub alike) would not work then. I notice you see th stuff inside the sub. THAT is probably part of the sub. The thing to do then would be to take whatever that external cut away model looks like that gets used when the damage template is applied, and change it to a buckled surface just under the skin. Template makes a hole, what you see under is a dent.

Maybe that would work.

ReallyDedPoet 05-31-07 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tater
I notice you see the stuff inside the sub. THAT is probably part of the sub. The thing to do then would be to take whatever that external cut away model looks like that gets used when the damage template is applied, and change it to a buckled surface just under the skin. Template makes a hole, what you see under is a dent.

Maybe that would work.

I like the damage textures for torpedoes, but for Depth Charges, something like this :roll: would make a difference in game play. Again I am no rivet counter ( no offense to those who are ) but taking some damage via DCs, then seeing the gaping holes, then surviving just doesn't feel right.

RDP

tater 06-19-07 10:26 PM

Punt!

CaptainCox 06-20-07 12:20 PM

I think if the 2 could be separated...SOMEHOW???:roll: Subs using one set of damage textures and the rest using the stock, this would indeed be possible. The question is only how to tie that new damage texture to only subs. I guess...stressing "GUESS" that it could be done with some hexediting etc.

ReallyDedPoet 06-20-07 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCox
I think if the 2 could be separated...SOMEHOW???:roll: Subs using one set of damage textures and the rest using the stock, this would indeed be possible. The question is only how to tie that new damage texture to only subs. I guess...stressing "GUESS" that it could be done with some hexediting etc.

Sounds like some work, it would be a nice addition :yep: Seeing the sub with " truck-sized " holes & not descend to the bottom, just does not seem right.

Overall though I do like the new damage texture in the game, just not for the subs.

Thanks for the respose CC:up:

RDP

CaptainCox 06-20-07 12:43 PM

Well. i am still a beginner with the hexing, but I do like a challenge. Busy week at work, but the weekend is coming up fast. Got like 4-5 mod projects on my DT at the mo :p...but I could have a look on the week end.

I also was like :o after getting hit by a deck gun. Could see right through the boat, even after repairs.