SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Development Updates (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226377)

blackswan40 05-13-20 07:28 AM

Re i dont understand that does it mean, but just in case - thank you :)))

You Joined in 2013 and only four posts hence the seven year hitch that you have had to scratch and come back to your home for Home is where the Heart is Welcome back Sir Salute :Kaleun_Salute:

The penalty for being away for so long is the first rounds on you in the Subsim Bar.
Tip from the swan walk into the Bar with a bird of the feathered variety on your shoulder and at closing time when the barman ask's you to settle up your Bar Tab you can politely ask him to stick it on your bill :D

ouPhrontis 05-13-20 12:57 PM

Where to log bugs?

I have noticed some model errors, where can one log them?

These are minor, but some others may have noticed;
  • Fog horn model incorrect*
  • HF antenna feed line absent*
  • Loop antenna stanchion doesn't extend far enough inside housing

*These are the two concave domes on the for'ard side of the conning tower, port side. The lower is a foghorn and would recess inside, the upper is an aperture for feeding a line to the HF antenna which is the cable running from near the upper part of the conning tower all the way to the bow.

Loving this game by the way, good way to spend and evening.

Pisces 05-13-20 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDanilov (Post 2670313)
i dont understand that does it mean, but just in case - thank you :)))

You seem to have returned after a seven year period of absence (since registration). So you are welcomed back. :up:

Usurpator 05-15-20 02:20 PM

Weekly update

Hello everyone!
This week we've been working on various small improvements as well as fixing bugs.

Usurpator 05-22-20 10:56 AM

Weekly update

Hello everyone!
This week we've been fixing more bugs and
adding other small improvements to the game.

elo 05-24-20 05:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hello developers,
can you fix this bug?
on the TDC, the impact angle has an offset by 180 degrees (Pics)

and it would be nice if the torpedotubes had to be flooded before the topedo shot and the outdoors opened manually

Aktungbby 05-24-20 10:16 AM

welcome aboard!

elo!:Kaleun_Salute:

Usurpator 05-29-20 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elo (Post 2672553)
hello developers,
can you fix this bug?
on the TDC, the impact angle has an offset by 180 degrees (Pics)

and it would be nice if the torpedotubes had to be flooded before the topedo shot and the outdoors opened manually

I believe you are wrong. The deflection angle(β), the impact angle(α), and the angle on the bow(γ) form a triangle. The sum of the angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, thus we can calculate the angle of impact as: α=180°-(γ+β).

http://www.tvre.org/images/multithum..._11_rys_09.jpg

Source:
http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-calculator-t-vh-re-s3

Usurpator 05-29-20 09:18 AM

Update

This week we have been working on small improvements for the game. The next patch will include multiple stopwatches, customizable colors for the map and rebindable mouse buttons. We are also working on a simplified mission editor. This will work as a stop gap between the skirmish mode and the real mission editor, which will have more features.

elo 05-30-20 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usurpator (Post 2673719)
I believe you are wrong. The deflection angle(β), the impact angle(α), and the angle on the bow(γ) form a triangle. The sum of the angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, thus we can calculate the angle of impact as: α=180°-(γ+β).

http://www.tvre.org/images/multithum..._11_rys_09.jpg

Source:
http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-calculator-t-vh-re-s3

As far as I know an impact angle of 180° means that the torpedo would hit the ship in the back. Also a angle of bow of 0° would mean that the ship is heading right towards the viewpoint (the submarine) and therefore the torpedo would be unable to hit the ship in the back unless it would round the ship first.

derstosstrupp 05-30-20 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elo (Post 2673984)
As far as I know an impact angle of 180° means that the torpedo would hit the ship in the back. Also a angle of bow of 0° would mean that the ship is heading right towards the viewpoint (the submarine) and therefore the torpedo would be unable to hit the ship in the back unless it would round the ship first.

Intuitively yes, but that’s not how the computer displayed it. The Tvre worked within the framework of the torpedo triangle, not outside it. It did not have the functionality to take the complement if the impact angle. Why? Because the AOB was actually set indirectly by way of impact angle. In other words, the AOB crank was actually setting the impact angle, and the computer did the math and adjusted the AOB. The link the devs posted is very informative. Did you take the time to read it?

Pisces 05-30-20 06:09 PM

The way other games show it to us, and by that teach it to us, may not be the way it actually have worked. The person responsible for the information on the tvre.org site apparently did his investigation work. And the devs modeled it after that.
Elo, would you care to explain where your knowledge comes from?

Judging by the edited photo (with red boxes) I would agree only looking at the dials. It is in disagreement with that formula. But the state that picture was taken in may not have been an operational state. As in being turned off and all needles pointing to a zero-state.

derstosstrupp 05-30-20 07:20 PM

I might also add that model in that picture is of a TDC that predates the impact angle dial. That dial shows lead angle in that model, it wasn’t until later models the impact angle was added, after that picture. Note the picture does not have the red impact angle lamp on it, that’s an indication that that dial did not indicate impact angle. The deal was changed to impact angle at the same time the red indicator light was added. And that indicator light lit up when the impact angle was less than 30 or greater than 150°.

derstosstrupp 05-30-20 08:22 PM

Alright here is the TDC in the U-505 tower. Impact angle is top right. Based on the dial settings, I’ve reconstructed the shot, also below.

Target bearing is about 112° (bottom dials, the outer pointer inside the red box is the bearing factored into the computer), AOB about 56° left. Parallax angle of 16°, gyro angle of about 92°.

The impact angle per the reconstruction, is about 110°, which matches the dial. NOT the 70° one would expect. Hopefully that suffices to show it.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=11123

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=11124

elo 05-31-20 04:29 AM

@ all
ok, im sorry, now i understand, it was a mistake on my part :oops:

@ developer
but is this possible?:

Quote:

Onkel Neal 05-31-20 11:42 AM

Sure, it's possible. Not a bad idea, either. But as I so often say, keep in mind there are many improvements underway, big and small. I have a few "Neal Items" on the list that won't be done right away, either. We just have to be patient and trust the devs. For me, trusting them is super easy, I've seen how far they've come, the level of detail Einar has crafted into the U-boat, how many really difficult parts of the simulation Oscar has found elegant code solutions for.

Pisces 05-31-20 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2674086)
I might also add that model in that picture is of a TDC that predates the impact angle dial. That dial shows lead angle in that model, it wasn’t until later models the impact angle was added, after that picture. ...

Well, that goes to show it pays to be a techno-history nerd. ;) Solution: It means something else.

Usurpator 06-05-20 04:38 PM

Weekly update

Hello everyone!
This week we have continued working
on the mission editor.

Usurpator 06-12-20 08:39 AM

Hello everyone!

The past couple of weeks we have been working on a simplified mission editor. This is the first step towards the real mission editor, which will have more features.
These settings will allow players to create custom missions different from the standard skirmish mode:

Mission Title
Mission Description
Encoded Orders: This is an encoded message that the players will receive after the mission has started.
Mission Completed Text: Text that is shown when the mission is completed.
Mission Failed Text: Text that is shown when the mission is failed.
Number of torpedoes in the forward torpedo room.
Number of torpedoes in the aft torpedo room.
Convoy Course
Convoy Speed
Year, Month, Day
Hour, Minute
Tonnage Goal: The players must sink this number of tonnes to complete the mission.
Target List: The players must sink these ships in order to complete the mission.
Anti Target List: The mission is lost if any of these ships are sunk.
Time Limit
Merchant List: This is a list of ships that will be spawned in addition to the ships specified in Target List.
Number of destroyers, corvettes and sloops.
Mission Ends If Discovered: The mission ends if any U-boat is discovered.

Lost At Sea 06-12-20 10:41 AM

Thx for the detailed update! This is taking shape very nicely :up:
Your last point baffles me a little:
"Mission Ends If Discovered: The mission ends if any U-boat is discovered".

Why so?
A discovered U-boat is not necessarily a dead U-boat. Having failed to approach a convoy undetected is a fairly common scenario and dodging the destroyers attacks should be part of the "alternative" mission, ie. survive and escape to fight another day. Nope?
Did you mean "Mission failed" , instead of "Mission ended" ?

Cheers,
Lost