SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Paying renown for torpedoes (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242629)

MrMojok69 09-28-19 06:33 PM

Paying renown for torpedoes

I think this game's idea of using renown to buy the electric torpedoes is high on the all-time list of subsim design stupid mistakes. I am not at all interested in debating this, so if you are thinking of replying with some kind of justification for the mechanic, close the browser tab and move along. I do not want to hear it, period. Thanks.

What I want to know is, what is the correct method to manually add renown, or is there a mod that makes them free?

I know the file CareerTrack.upc, and I have thought about trying to edit it, but haven't done it yet. Would this be the easiest way?

skirich 09-28-19 07:32 PM

Not a bad question, I'm kinda curious myself but you really dont need to adjust renown in game.
You really should never ever run out, and every patrol with some tonnage sunk gets renown.

BTW the simple way of getting free stuff is to set up your torpedos the way you want, in the tubes and in the reserves.

Go out and use them, and just before coming back to home port, click postpone, click refuel, go into the torpedo management screen, and move things around, click refuel, and go to home port.

You will have a fresh new compliment of what you had when you started, in the same spots, all free.
Now if you make changes, then its gonna cost you, and the game, as dumb as this mechanic is, does not refund you renown when you put a paid for torpedo back into base stock.

BTW dont think about renown as a payment system. Its not. In the war, skippers were able to outfit their boats as they saw fit, as long as the choices fit the boat, mission, and were readily available or can be ordered to the port.
The more well known renowned captains could pull strings in getting things for their boat before lesser successful skippers could.

propbeanie 09-28-19 10:34 PM

In most mods & Stock, you earn the most renown by sinking ships. Look at their cfg files and there is a Renown line, which follows the devs' ideas of ship importance. The secondary way to earn renown is to complete objectives. But sink a CV and you've earned enough renown for 4+ objectives...

MrMojok69 09-29-19 12:20 AM

I am earning renown, enough to "buy" them. I am just irked at the idea of having to pay for them. And no matter how anyone chooses to frame it, it is indeed a currency system in the game, as UBIsoft designed it.

jimmbbo 09-29-19 12:57 AM

Agree about the need to get renown to buy torps.

I just max out renown at the game setup and have never run out. Then again, I usually fit out with Mk 14s as I prefer the ability to choose high or low speed for simultaneous hits on targets.

von Zelda 09-29-19 02:48 AM

Free Torpedoes

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMojok69 (Post 2629624)
or is there a mod that makes them free?

Yes, there is: Cheap and Early Torpedoes (1.6kb) by Rockin Robbins

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1325

skirich 09-29-19 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMojok69 (Post 2629685)
Thanks guys, for useful answers and not the usual subsim bull****

Except for you Skirich, you are on my ****list now. The last part of your answer was ridiculously apologist for the mechanic, and the first part was non-applicable, and nonsensical.

Also I know you're the one who was talking about allowing each binary one at a time, on the discord, rather than giving the SH4 executable admin rights.

So when someone tries to help you and give a little color but you feel it’s not what you are looking for instead of being graciously thankful and declining the help you insult the person.

You asked about how to cheat in the game with the renown mechanic.
I explained to you how you dont really need to cheat.
I explained to you how to use the mechanics to get free stuff you would otherwise need to spend renown on.
I explained the thought process behind renown.
You called this non-applicable and nonsensical, in reality your thought process to come to this conclusion is flawed.

You bring up topics from other forums and somehow color those as well while you have no idea what you are talking about.
Got it.
Oh and nice jab there calling the "usual discussions" on subsim bull****. You also insulted everyone on this site in one shot with that one.
You are someone that does not deserve the courtesy of a reply and I’ll never help again.

What others may do is up to them, since you insulted the whole site.

Have a nice day.

Mios 4Me 09-29-19 02:17 PM

I've occasionally wondered what's it must be like dealing with that guy in Torpedoes or Engineering who has zero leadership skills.

Sorry, daydreaming there for a bit.

Anyway, the torpedo files can be modified easily enough to remove renown or make torpedoes available immediately as I've done with the Mk16s. I'd hunt down the link but not with that attitude.

jimmbbo 09-29-19 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mios 4Me (Post 2629803)
I've occasionally wondered what's it must be like dealing with that guy in Torpedoes or Engineering who has zero leadership skills.

The Navy should have contracted the job of creating the Mk 14 out to industry... Dollars to donuts they would have had a better torpedo earlier in the war.

propbeanie 09-29-19 09:32 PM

wow MrMojok69... it's usually B.S., eh... :hmmm: - that's something to remember you by...

Mios 4Me 09-30-19 07:13 AM

Oh, and FWIW, when new torpedo production was still ramping up and there were far more skippers clamoring for, say, Cuties than there were units available, how do you suppose they were allocated?

Lottery?

Pulling strings?

Most productive skippers get dibs?

Hm.

KaleunMarco 09-30-19 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMojok69 (Post 2629685)
Thanks guys, for useful answers and not the usual subsim bull****

Except for you Skirich, you are on my ****list now. The last part of your answer was ridiculously apologist for the mechanic, and the first part was non-applicable, and nonsensical.

Also I know you're the one who was talking about allowing each binary one at a time, on the discord, rather than giving the SH4 executable admin rights.

the file you want to check out is C:\Ubisoft\Stock\Data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\Ammunit ion.UPC.
the renown cost is the last value in the line that contains the torpedo option information. for example this is the line for Mk16 in the Stock game. Each fish will cost 400 renown and they are available starting January 1, 1945.
AmmunitionIntervalOptions1= 1945-01-01, 1975-01-01, 400

and i think you were a bit harsh on skirich. not reportable/ban-able harsh but harsh none the less. guys are just trying to help and some are not as articulate as others in the way they express themselves.:hmmm:

i'll tell you a story.
not long ago, i answered someone's question and ended with a joke. at least i thought it was funny, but i'm an American and not everyone understands our humor. one of the other Kaleuns took me to task for my response. however, the fellow that i helped, who is not American, understood the joke and took no umbrage at all. just saying, sometimes not everyone reads things the same way on this board.

ok. that's finished. let's get back to the game.:Kaleun_Salute:

Sniper297 10-03-19 05:11 PM

Actually I gotta side with the OP on this, since the beginning of the internet I've been irritated by the "two cents worth" crowd on flightsim, trainsim, FPS and RPG forums. Ask a technical question, get a dozen responses in the first hour, mostly saying why you shouldn't want to do what you're trying to do. Two or three will be rabid foaming fanatics screaming about how you should play the game properly. One 10 year old girl on a train simulator forum was sent away in tears when she asked how to repaint a locomotive in a pink Barbie theme, and instead of a simple answer she got screamed at by a bunch of grown men who should have known better. I was a moderator on that forum, got an earful from her mother, had to hand out a bunch of infractions, and the webmaster was severely pissed.

ATFQ or STFU, if you don't know the answer or have a suggestion on how to find it, don't clutter the thread with irrelevant opinions. On to the answer to the question that was asked;

As KaleunMarco said, \Data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\Ammunition.UPC is one file;

[Ammunition 10]
ID=Mk16Torpedo
NameDisplayable= Mark 16 Torpedo
Type= AmmoTorpedo
Subtype=Mk16TorpUS
AmmunitionIntervalOptionCurrent= NULL, NULL, 0
AmmunitionIntervalOptions1= 1945-01-01, 1975-01-01, 400
Volume= 1
PackSize=1

Change that line to read;

AmmunitionIntervalOptions1= 1941-01-01, 1975-01-01, 0

That will give a Mark 16 at the start with zero renown required.

Next, to change the default loadout, using the Porpoise as an example;

\Data\Submarine\NSS_Porpoise\NSS_Porpoise.upc

EDIT, REPLACE

Mk14Torpedo

REPLACE WITH

Mk18Torpedo

REPLACE ALL, save and exit. For the S class replace Mark 10 with Mark 18, whatever sub you normally drive you can change the default loadout to whatever you want. Realistically the tubes in the S class weren't long enough for the bigger torpedoes, but since the game will accept it we're not concerned with realism here, just the technical procedures to make it do what we want it to do. :up:

skirich 10-03-19 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper297 (Post 2630581)
ATFQ or STFU

Ah, OK.

Pyryck 10-04-19 09:39 PM

You can edit CareerTrack.upc in Notepad and give your skipper as much renown as you wish. (Even with the game running at the game MENU as long as no saves are currently loaded!)

Just look for the PlayerCurrentRenown=##### entry and modify it to your hearts content.

Yes, I edit *MY* own game files to make the game behave how *I* wish to play after having experienced the game patched but unmodded. :arrgh!: