SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   level of complexity (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243246)

KDN77RUS 12-08-19 11:21 AM

the question is, what do developers want from their project ?
teach players or make an arcade "simulator"?

derstosstrupp 12-08-19 11:37 AM

What is long overdue I feel is a Realism panel where people can turn on and off what they want and make it as hard or easy as they want.

Pisces 12-08-19 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDN77RUS (Post 2639540)
the question is, what do developers want from their project ?
teach players or make an arcade "simulator"?

I think WP is already way past an "arcade simulator". But I think it is smart to not make this an uber hardcore simulator. If people are put off by the steepness of the learning curve then sales will plummet. And it won't see the end of days. They need to strike a balance between realism and playability. And leave the rest open for modders to tweak it in.

Fidd 12-08-19 04:01 PM

The trick, imho, is to achieve both: The basics of operating, aiming and firing the sub/torps made an achievable learning curve, but adding complexities to improve all the preceding to retain players. If the game is too easy to master, and has no room for players to grow into, you won't be short of new players, but one might struggle to retain old ones....

Superesse 12-08-19 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2639527)
Asking the devs to disable the update of the uboat icon position is the easiest for them to do. Maybe only leave the starting position as a reference. Then it is the total responsibility of the crew to keep track of their movement in a log as they go away of the reference point. Because, if you enter the game in total overcast then you will be completely lost without any way to fix your position in that session.

I agree. The starting point must be given. Which is still realistic.

Onkel Neal 12-08-19 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2639546)
I think WP is already way past an "arcade simulator". But I think it is smart to not make this an uber hardcore simulator. If people are put off by the steepness of the learning curve then sales will plummet. And it won't see the end of days. They need to strike a balance between realism and playability. And leave the rest open for modders to tweak it in.

Well said.

KDN77RUS 12-09-19 10:01 AM

and here the developers show up ? who are they ?

Pisces 12-09-19 12:08 PM

Onkel Neal is the publisher/liason for the developers/piggy-bank that got this project going from HMS Marulken to Wolfpack as it is now.

Oscar and Einar respond sometimes in here. Usualyy as their company account Usurpator. But they show themselves a bit more in Discord when they feel the need.

KDN77RUS 12-09-19 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2639716)
Onkel Neal is the publisher/liason for the developers/piggy-bank that got this project going from HMS Marulken to Wolfpack as it is now.

Oscar and Einar respond sometimes in here. Usualyy as their company account Usurpator. But they show themselves a bit more in Discord when they feel the need.

thanks